News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Swedish Sexual education

Started by Ape, November 04, 2009, 10:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on November 04, 2009, 07:30:29 PM

FYI, the word "kid" often refers to teenagers.  Depending on the context, it can even refer to those in their early 20's.

And I find this attitude laughable - a by product of anglo-saxon prudishness -  hence the sarcasm.  But I guess you didn't get the memo.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Camerus

Quote from: Grallon on November 04, 2009, 07:37:18 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on November 04, 2009, 07:30:29 PM

FYI, the word "kid" often refers to teenagers.  Depending on the context, it can even refer to those in their early 20's.

And I find this attitude laughable - a by product of anglo-saxon prudishness -  hence the sarcasm.  But I guess you didn't get the memo.

G.

What are you talking about?  Let's look at this clearly, quickly.

1.  On the issue of sexuality of boys, kids, teenagers, twinks, or whatever the fuck you want to call people around the age of 14, your feelings are so well-known as to render your opinions on this matter highly suspect.  But even assuming you only have the best interest of society at heart, let's move on to point 2.

2.  What I am advocating is a golden mean approach to sex ed.  As I said earlier, teaching students the basics of sex (hetero and gay), the importance of safe sex and being OK with one's sexuality are important things.  However, there is a point of excess beyond which it isn't necessary to teach in the classroom. Your attempt to label this attitude with the word "prude" is just stupid.

3.  Since you mention"anglo-saxon [sic] prudishness", it seems you assume there is a monolithic "Anglo-Saxon" approach to sexuality, which is also ridiculous.  You must also assume there is a better cultural model towards sexuality?  The Quebecois model perhaps?

dps

I don't get the link between the supposed "prudishness" and having a slang word for young people.   :unsure:

Pat

Quote from: Jacob on November 04, 2009, 01:50:27 PM
I approve of what the Swedes are doing.  That is, the teachers, not the retarded "I wish there were more American style social conservatives in Sweden" guy.

Roland Poitier Martinsson :lol: He's executive of the Swedish Commerce Media Institute which is a part of the Confederation of Swedish Enterprise think-tank Timbro, that holds the flag of big business high in Swedish public discourse. He's a staunch roman catholic and launched a civil war within Timbro when he said the limited government ideology favoured by Timbro only works together with strong social conservatism, which the Ayn Randians of the think-tank disagreed with.

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on November 04, 2009, 11:08:09 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 04, 2009, 11:04:41 AM
Meh, the kids will know about this stuff anyway, it makes sense to tell them to do it safely.

The question isn't whether or not to tell them to do it safely - as far as I know, most of the non-US Western world pretty much agrees on that, excepting probably BB, it is whether or not to tell them how to do it "well".

Since when have I ever commented on sex education in school?  :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: miglia on November 04, 2009, 09:27:42 PM
I approve of what the Swedes are doing.  That is, the teachers, not the retarded "I wish there were more American style social conservatives in Sweden" guy.

Roland Poitier Martinsson :lol: He's executive of the Swedish Commerce Media Institute which is a part of the Confederation of Swedish Enterprise think-tank Timbro, that holds the flag of big business high in Swedish public discourse. He's a staunch roman catholic and launched a civil war within Timbro when he said the limited government ideology favoured by Timbro only works together with strong social conservatism, which the Ayn Randians of the think-tank disagreed with.

So the Swedish conservatism is a mix of socially conservative Bible thumpers and Ayn Rand libertards? Sweet. No wonder noone votes for them. :D

citizen k

Sex shouldn't be practiced let alone taught.

:contract:

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on November 05, 2009, 12:30:38 AM
Meh, the kids will know about this stuff anyway, it makes sense to tell them to do it safely.

The question isn't whether or not to tell them to do it safely - as far as I know, most of the non-US Western world pretty much agrees on that, excepting probably BB, it is whether or not to tell them how to do it "well".

You non-commenting says more than anything you could post. :contract: ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on November 05, 2009, 12:30:38 AM

You believe in God and are hence Irrational.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

citizen k

Quote from: Razgovory on November 05, 2009, 02:41:32 AM

You're insane and hence, are irrational.

Martinus

Quote from: citizen k on November 05, 2009, 02:47:37 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 05, 2009, 02:41:32 AM

You're insane and hence, are irrational.

Even a broken clock can be right twice a day.

Pat

Quote from: Martinus on November 05, 2009, 02:22:52 AM
Quote from: miglia on November 04, 2009, 09:27:42 PM

So the Swedish conservatism is a mix of socially conservative Bible thumpers and Ayn Rand libertards? Sweet. No wonder noone votes for them. :D

Well, yes, at least Timbro is, which is the most prominent right-wing think-tank in Sweden, though I suppose they'll employ anyone friendly to corporate interests since that is where they get their money from.
Though Mattias Svensson at Timbro, who I know through AIK, is a cool guy even though he's a Randian.

edit: Though I've started to like our conservative party (which is in power, by the way) ever since they realized they had to embrace the welfare state to gain power. They're not feminazis like the Social Democrats (who elected the absolutely horrible Mona Sahlin because she was the best woman for the job, and I wish I was kidding you). But they have no intellecual street-cred, which is why a lot of money must be spent to have anyone write books for the right, and even then they can come up with no better than Martinsson and Randians. I actually own quite a few books published by Timbro since they're so heavily subsidised they're almost free, but they're so awfully written I can not bring myself to finish them.

citizen k

QuoteGroup urges CW stations not to air 'Gossip Girl'
By FRAZIER MOORE, AP Television Writer

NEW YORK – On-air promos for a sexual threesome on an upcoming episode of "Gossip Girl" have spurred the Parents Television Council to ask affiliates of the CW network to pre-empt the show.

Airing the teen tryst, which is being teased in an ad as a "3SOME," is "reckless and irresponsible," said PTC president Tim Winter in a statement Wednesday. The threesome involves three main characters in the show but they are not identified in the promos.

The PTC has urged CW affiliate stations not to air the episode, scheduled for Nov. 9.

In a letter to the affiliates, Winter asked: "Will you now be complicit in establishing a precedent and expectation that teenagers should engage in behaviors heretofore associated primarily with adult films?"

This is not the first time the PTC has complained about the sexy prep-school soap, which Winter said is "expressly targeted to impressionable teenagers."

In July 2008, the organization spoke out against a racy marketing campaign for its new season. Ads showed intimate moments between the show's characters (on a couch, in the sack or apparently skinny-dipping), accompanied by headlines like "A Nasty Piece of Work" and "Mind-Blowingly Inappropriate."

"CW has been defending graphic content on 'Gossip Girl' by asserting that they don't target teenagers," Winters said Wednesday. "Such a claim doesn't even pass the 'laugh test.'"

CW spokesman Paul McGuire said the target audience for "Gossip Girl" is 18- to 34-year-old women, with a median viewer age of 27 years old. The network had no comment on PTC's complaint, he said.

The Parents Television Council describes itself as a nonpartisan education group advocating responsible entertainment.

Eddie Teach

*makes note to check out Gossip Girl next Monday*
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?