News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Swedish Sexual education

Started by Ape, November 04, 2009, 10:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2009, 12:28:42 PM
I think the final in any such class should be a giant orgy. :)
Peer review?

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2009, 12:28:42 PM
I think the final in any such class should be a giant orgy. :)

Yeah, but what course *shouldn't* have a giant orgy for a final?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2009, 12:33:17 PM
Anything with "Engineering" in the title. :x
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on November 04, 2009, 10:53:36 AM
I'll throw this out there because I'm sure there will be someone around here who disagrees:

While I'm in favour of teaching students the importance of safe sex, the basics of sex, and to be OK with their sexuality, there is a level beyond which it is not needed in the classroom. 

If indeed high school students are learning anal sex techniques as the article alleges, than I'm not sure what the point or value of that is.

Also, I'm not sure why abstinence should simply be dismissed out of hand.  For many teenagers it isn't a realistic option, but on the other hand, for others, it is.  By removing that option (and it should IMO be presented as only one option out of many) from the conversation, it demeans the choice of those students, who, for whatever reason, choose not to be sexually active.
I agree in full. And I don't think you should feel this would be so out of line. Seems quite common sense over all.

Strix

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2009, 12:34:04 PM

Really?? You don't find the idea of women building and demonstrating new and better dildos for the class HOTT! :perv:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2009, 12:34:04 PM

A giant orgy is a perfect place to demonstrate the basics of mechanical engineering - all those load bearing surfaces and thrusting forces.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on November 04, 2009, 12:04:37 PM
I'll sort of agree with PP's post. The question becomes, then, if we  teach kids about anal sex, why stop there? Why not courses on how to stick a gerbil up your arse, safely? How to ejaculate on a woman's face without messing her hair? How to safely do a double penetration?
So are you arguing for no sex education at all, because it is a slippery slope that has no end, or are you arguing that your preferences for what "isn't icky" should drive the process?

Students need to know what is safe and unsafe iin sexual practices, because so many of them are going to experiment.  Your idea that shoving a gerbil up your ass is the kind of normal sex that kids will experiment with says more about you than about this sex education process, i think.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 04, 2009, 12:06:30 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2009, 12:00:53 PM
What's so funny about it?

You don't find the idea of hearing that in a classroom amusing?

I heard it in my Swedish classroom 20 years ago and it wasn't very funny then. OK it was a little bit funny.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2009, 11:54:50 AM
Another thing is that teaching about some sexual practices may be seen as "unusual" or unnecessary for straight kids but could be essential for gay kids - the question is how do you address it? I mean, people seem to be ok with teaching children how to properly engage in a vaginal intercourse (i.e. what to do, what not to do, how to protect yourself) but seem to balk at teaching the same about anal sex.

They really teach you how to do vaginal sex?  They taught me how to use a condom and the dangers of STDs and pregnancy and all that...but they never actually told me HOW to do it.  I guess they just sort of assumed I could figure it out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2009, 12:44:38 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2009, 11:54:50 AM
Another thing is that teaching about some sexual practices may be seen as "unusual" or unnecessary for straight kids but could be essential for gay kids - the question is how do you address it? I mean, people seem to be ok with teaching children how to properly engage in a vaginal intercourse (i.e. what to do, what not to do, how to protect yourself) but seem to balk at teaching the same about anal sex.

They really teach you how to do vaginal sex?  They taught me how to use a condom and the dangers of STDs and pregnancy and all that...but they never actually told me HOW to do it.  I guess they just sort of assumed I could figure it out.

:console:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2009, 12:39:47 PM
A giant orgy is a perfect place to demonstrate the basics of mechanical engineering - all those load bearing surfaces and thrusting forces.  :D
And about using senses other than sight and smell, because engin students tend to have issues in those areas.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on November 04, 2009, 12:45:59 PM
:console:

It wasn't easy.  Young women usually don't feel comfortable giving you the tour.

It is probably alot easier today with the internet around to enlighten young minds.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2009, 12:10:07 PM
Not really. Unless you find telling kids about using condoms when penetrating a vagina amusing as well.

To be fair they never explicitely told me what I would be using the condom for when they showed me how to put it on :P

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2009, 12:48:25 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2009, 12:10:07 PM
Not really. Unless you find telling kids about using condoms when penetrating a vagina amusing as well.

To be fair they never explicitely told me what I would be using the condom for when they showed me how to put it on :P

Apparently, it keeps bananas fresh. Or so one would assume.  ;)

Berkut

Quote from: Josephus on November 04, 2009, 12:27:59 PM

I'm not making light of anal sex--my point is...why stop with vaginal and anal sex then?

For no other reason than there is a finite amount of time to teach any subjects in school, and spending a lot of tiem teaching stuff like how to give a good rim job, or how not to choke when sucking cock isn't really necessary or a productive use of school time.

Teaching someone how to engage in sex (whether gay or straight) in a safe manner is rather different from teaching them how to get the most out of the Kama Sutra.

You can make a compelling public health argument to defend sexual education from the perspective of educating teens about safe sex (and abstinence, for that matter).
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned