News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL 2009 Official Thread

Started by Strix, March 10, 2009, 01:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

It'll be another repeat of last year's cup;  Detroit handles the puck too well, and the Pengooins can't rely on the same two playmakers every day.

Soviet Red Machine in 6.

Grey Fox

Well, as is the new NHL tradition since 2002 with the exception of the 2007 winner, The final is 2 evil teams.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 28, 2009, 06:27:32 AM
Well, as is the new NHL tradition since 2002 with the exception of the 2007 winner, The final is 2 evil teams.
The Flames, Oilers and Senators weren't evil.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 28, 2009, 06:41:15 AM
They were & are.
You only say that because you're an ignorant clod.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on May 28, 2009, 06:38:42 AM

But they were/are chokers. :contract:
:p

saskganesh

c'mon. Calgary is a choke team, but not in that series (7 games)
Edmonton went 7 as well, despite losing their hot gaolie. so no choke label either.
I think the Sens were just outmatched. They caught their teamwide  cancer several months later.
humans were created in their own image

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 28, 2009, 12:37:55 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 28, 2009, 06:38:42 AM

But they were/are chokers. :contract:
Not really.  Now the Canucks, or this years' Flames team, there are some chokers.

Barrister

IN happier news, there is again talk of the NHL returning to Winnipeg.

And not just any old team - but the actual franchies that left us so cruelly 13 years ago - the current Phoenix Coyotes.   :cool:

QuoteIt's fast becoming apparent that Winnipeg might have to get over its denial when it comes to the possible return of the NHL.On Friday, as news spread out of the Phoenix Coyotes bankruptcy hearing that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman indicated that if the team had to be relocated in Canada, the league would favour Winnipeg over Hamilton -- the reaction, as always, was cautionary.

First, we stressed that Bettman's "alleged" comments came in the form of an affidavit quoting a third party, Coyotes' lawyer Earl Scudder.

Second, we stressed that Bettman qualified the statement, that "if the Coyotes had to be relocated to Canada," the NHL would prefer Winnipeg over Hamilton.

Well, turns out there's no need to stress anymore. According to documents filed in court, the Globe and Mail reported Monday that Bettman e-mailed deputy commissioner Bill Daly on April 4, after talking to Scudder, and wrote: "I told (Scudder) that at some point, if we don't have an alternative, I will have to start looking at the moving (of the Coyotes) option."

When Scudder asked about Southern Ontario and Hamilton, Bettman said, "I responded that it's a league opportunity, the building (Copps Coliseum) is too old etc. and, frankly, if this team had to move it should first be offered to Winnipeg."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/special/nhl/we-cant-deny-it-anymore----nhl-could-return-45394562.html
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

saskganesh

it's poetry.

however, given the 300% increase in player salaries (and natch, the 300% (?) rise in ticket prices), I think it's something of a poison pill.
humans were created in their own image

Neil

Quote from: saskganesh on May 28, 2009, 01:42:16 PM
it's poetry.

however, given the 300% increase in player salaries (and natch, the 300% (?) rise in ticket prices), I think it's something of a poison pill.
Not only that, but if you think Edmonton has a hard time attracting quality talent, just wait until players get a load of Winnipeg.

PRC

Quote from: Neil on May 28, 2009, 02:16:57 PM
Not only that, but if you think Edmonton has a hard time attracting quality talent, just wait until players get a load of Winnipeg.

No shit, not to mention the arena in Winnipeg doesn't have enough seats.  4000 + seats less than any other arena in the NHL * 41 games a year = poor ticket revenue.  Hamilton at least would have the promise of a new arena.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on May 28, 2009, 03:16:18 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 28, 2009, 02:16:57 PM

No shit, not to mention the arena in Winnipeg doesn't have enough seats.  4000 + seats less than any other arena in the NHL * 41 games a year = poor ticket revenue.  Hamilton at least would have the promise of a new arena.

Max seats is a very poor way to judge a potential location.  15000 seats sold out every night will bring in a lot more revenue than having an average of 12000 attendance with a 20000 seat arena.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

charliebear

Quote from: C.C.R. on May 27, 2009, 09:29:26 PM
... I have to admit that Detroit is one hell of a team & they certainly are an excellent (and most obviously the better) team.  Now I hope that they rot in hell & choke most magnificently to the Pittsburgh Penguins...

:hug:

:ccr

Such hatred makes baby Jesus cry.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2009, 04:40:07 PM
Max seats is a very poor way to judge a potential location.  15000 seats sold out every night will bring in a lot more revenue than having an average of 12000 attendance with a 20000 seat arena.
Are there 15,000 non-poor people in Winnipeg?