And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL 2009 Official Thread

Started by Strix, March 10, 2009, 01:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

Quote from: Neil on May 25, 2009, 09:45:17 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on May 25, 2009, 08:22:16 AM
as the highest payee for the rights to the SC final, it has everything to do with CBC.
Why?  Even though the CBC shovels money at them, it's clear that they have no influence whatsoever on the NHL's decisionmaking process.  Given that Hockey Night In Canada is the only thing on the CBC that isn't abysmal, I'm less than shocked that even a moron like Bettman managed to figure out who wears the pants.

the CBC likes Bettman's strap on. a lot.

I condemn you to a summer of Being Erika and Little Mosque reruns.

humans were created in their own image

Neil

Quote from: saskganesh on May 25, 2009, 09:55:41 AM
Quote from: Neil on May 25, 2009, 09:45:17 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on May 25, 2009, 08:22:16 AM
as the highest payee for the rights to the SC final, it has everything to do with CBC.
Why?  Even though the CBC shovels money at them, it's clear that they have no influence whatsoever on the NHL's decisionmaking process.  Given that Hockey Night In Canada is the only thing on the CBC that isn't abysmal, I'm less than shocked that even a moron like Bettman managed to figure out who wears the pants.

the CBC likes Bettman's strap on. a lot.

I condemn you to a summer of Being Erika and Little Mosque reruns.
Now that's the sort of thing that would cause Ultraviolence.

CBC was fatally compromised when the adoption of cable allowed people to get 13 channels rather than 2.  And now that I have a couple hundred channels (albeit few of them interesting), the CBC is spiralling into complete irrelevance.  Still, maybe they'll be able to milk some extra cash out of the cable companies, along with CTV and Global.  That should give them the money to make a few boring new shows.

Actually, I'm not sure that it was the increased channels that hurt the CBC, but rather the increase in production values and thus production costs for TV shows.  The CBC used to field shows comparable to those south of the border.  Street Legal comes to mind.  Now, they can't.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

charliebear

Quote from: Neil on May 25, 2009, 09:46:41 AM
The funny thing is that hockey had already 'arrived'.  It used to be the #3 sport in the US, after all.  It took a lot of Bettman's mismanagement to destroy that position.

I heard that the Spelling Bee last year had more viewers than the NHL playoffs.  That's a sad commentary, folks.

saskganesh

Quote from: charliebear on May 25, 2009, 11:19:12 AM
The funny thing is that hockey had already 'arrived'.  It used to be the #3 sport in the US, after all.  It took a lot of Bettman's mismanagement to destroy that position.

I heard that the Spelling Bee last year had more viewers than the NHL playoffs.  That's a sad commentary, folks.

hey, its all about Growing the Game (TM).

for a multi billion dollar business, with millions of fans who want to watch the games on TV (and sometimes attend them), they have odd priorities.
humans were created in their own image

charliebear

Quote from: charliebear on May 19, 2009, 04:14:11 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 16, 2009, 06:20:06 AM
Quote from: Cecil on May 16, 2009, 01:52:33 AM
Dont think Detriot is going to the finals. They dont look as strong this year. :(
Hard to say.  They certainly had troubles with Anaheim.  They'll be against a divisional opponent next round, and they're miles better than either of the East teams.

Yes, they did.  However, Anaheim is a more disciplined team than Chicago.  I don't see this series going past five games.

Is it too early to say "told ya so?"

Ed Anger

Quote from: Strix on May 25, 2009, 08:51:22 AM
Canada has six teams because the NHL hasn't caught on in the US. If the NHL does ever "arrive" than there will be a lot of pressure to move a lot of those teams south of the border. I hope for your sake that Bettman isn't still Commish if it happens because you will quickly be reduced to the Canadians and Leafs.

Those were the days. NHL on ESPN. Even on Fox, with its stupid glowing puck and robots dancing after goals.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Strix

Canada has six teams because the NHL hasn't caught on in the US. If the NHL does ever "arrive" than there will be a lot of pressure to move a lot of those teams south of the border. I hope for your sake that Bettman isn't still Commish if it happens because you will quickly be reduced to the Canadians and Leafs.

I can't argue that Bettman's attempt to turn the NHL into NBA II hasn't been the worst managerial move in sport's business history because it obviously was. Hell, he alienated the Hurricane fans to the point that if we hadn't made a couple Stanley Cup appearances in such a short time period the franchise would have been in deep trouble with his promise of an All-Star game within a few years if people bought X number for season tickets. It really inspires fans when you flat out lie.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Neil

Quote from: Strix on May 25, 2009, 05:57:30 PM

I can't argue that Bettman's attempt to turn the NHL into NBA II hasn't been the worst managerial move in sport's business history because it obviously was. Hell, he alienated the Hurricane fans to the point that if we hadn't made a couple Stanley Cup appearances in such a short time period the franchise would have been in deep trouble with his promise of an All-Star game within a few years if people bought X number for season tickets. It really inspires fans when you flat out lie.
What did he do to the Hurricane fans?  That's just silly.  Those are the sort of people he's going after.  Not exactly the sort of people, because there's no big cities in Carolina, but close enough.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Besides that Hockey will never 'catch on' in most of the country.  There are tons of sports leagues at every level and every sport and only so many suckers willing to pay the outrageous ticket prices professional teams charge.  Suddenly deciding to stop watching football and start attending Hockey is going to take alot more than simply stealing a very popular Northern Team and putting them in Birmingham Alabama.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 25, 2009, 08:43:17 AM

Yet 40% of the NHL revenues come from 6 teams.

According to this Forbes report:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/31/nhl08_NHL-Team-Valuations_Revenue.html

40% of the revenue for the NHL in the 2007-2008 season came from 9 teams:  Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Rangers, Red Wings, Canucks, Stars, Flyers, Bruins, and Devils.  (The Flames and the Senators are about equal to the Bruins and Devils.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Strix

Quote from: Neil on May 25, 2009, 06:08:06 PM
What did he do to the Hurricane fans?  That's just silly.  Those are the sort of people he's going after.  Not exactly the sort of people, because there's no big cities in Carolina, but close enough.

He came to town and tried to do his best 'snake oil' salesman routine promising in 2002 that Raleigh will have an All-Star game within 5 years if people bought X number of season tickets. The people did what he asked and he reneged on his promise. I guess he confused ignorant with stupid. The people in the South may be ignorant about a lot of things but they aren't that stupid especially when it comes to keeping promises.

Funny thing is that Bettman came out with a stupid comment earlier this year about how the NHL will explore the possibility of having an All-Star game in Raleigh by 2015.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Valmy

Why would the Carolina fans be so upset about that?  The NHL allstar game sucks ass.

What next?  The Carolina Panther fans buying up tickets because the NFL Commish promises to move the Pro Bowl away form Hawaii for one year?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

C.C.R.

Well, hell.  Choad guzzling pederasts that would embarrass the most hardcore Catholic priest as they may be, I have to admit that Detroit is one hell of a team & they certainly are an excellent (and most obviously the better) team.  Now I hope that they rot in hell & choke most magnificently to the Pittsburgh Penguins...

:hug:

:ccr

Neil

Well, the Wings better win the Cup.

Still, it's a shame that two dishonourable teams are playing back to back.  Nevertheless, it's cool to see a rematch.

C.C.R.

Quote from: Neil on May 27, 2009, 09:39:45 PM
Well, the Wings better win the Cup.

No.  Zombie Toe Blake & Zombie Eddie Shore will not abide by such an injustice.  I would rather see The Terrorists win than see another Detroit Stanley Cup win...

:ccr