News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL 2009 Official Thread

Started by Strix, March 10, 2009, 01:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: saskganesh on May 21, 2009, 11:43:46 AM
whatever. none of this is on my TV anyway. great business plan.

You may be in that 1% of the population who have a TV that doesnt get TSN.....

saskganesh

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 21, 2009, 02:32:17 PM

You may be in that 1% of the population who have a TV that doesnt get TSN.....

:D my rabbit-eared populism is exposed!
humans were created in their own image

saskganesh

Quote from: Neil on May 21, 2009, 02:12:48 PM
Hey, if TSN outbid CBC, why should the NHL give any consideration to the CBC?  Virtually everyone has cable, except for people too poor to afford the shit that gets advertised anyways.  Moreover, the NHL can afford to take the Canadian hockey market entirely for granted.

1) CBC paid more money than TSN. they are the principle NA TV contract. CBC bid $100 million/yr, TSN paid $40 million/yr.
2) CBC ratings 1.2-2 million viewers on saturday night. even western games draw 200K more than TSN. TSN is in 9 million households, CBC is 13 million. poor or not, we all buy beer, GM trucks and credit cards: all advertisers.
3) taking your base for granted is usually bad business. however, since the WHA, the NHL can arguably afford to be cavalier. I don't think the CBC can though.
4) the CBC bends over so the NHL can broadcast on NBC on Saturday afternoons; those NBC ratings are worse than poker, horse racing, golf, bowling and Reba reruns on TNN. moreover, NBC pays no money upfront; it's all revenue sharing. apparently the NHL's cut is like 10 million a year.

Grey Fox

It's the deal, CBC chose not to broadcast the first 2 games of each series.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

saskganesh

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 21, 2009, 03:51:25 PM
It's the deal, CBC chose not to broadcast the first 2 games of each series.

its a shit deal. CBC bends over, NHL wields the paddle. they are kinky partners that I disapprove of.

it was a great playoff until then. CBC could have carried one series/TSN another (for only 4 games). a multiday blackout is sloppy.

then again, of course, its 30C today and I am drinking margaritas. in the real world, ice hockey is becoming less relevant with each and every passing day.

Valmy

Quote from: saskganesh on May 21, 2009, 04:54:05 PM
then again, of course, its 30C today and I am drinking margaritas. in the real world, ice hockey is becoming less relevant with each and every passing day.

Hockey in June is a joke.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2009, 04:58:46 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on May 21, 2009, 04:54:05 PM

Hockey in June is a joke.

yep. :(
:p

saskganesh

there's a game tonight. I am going bike riding. :bowler:

Grey Fox

Quote from: saskganesh on May 22, 2009, 09:33:13 AM

Why It's on the CBC, you could watch it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 22, 2009, 10:22:37 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on May 22, 2009, 09:33:13 AM

Why It's on the CBC, you could watch it.
He's angry at the NHL.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

saskganesh

and the CBC.

with a forced week off, I have lost teh momentum.

Ed Anger

I liked Satan fighting.  Only his second fight, ever.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 22, 2009, 10:34:42 AM
I liked Satan fighting.  Only his second fight, ever.
I only saw the highlight, but it looked like he tuned that guy up.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Savonarola

No joy in Mudville tonight   :(

CB and I watched this one at a local sports bar; unfortunately they had the game on VS, rather than CBC.  I would have loved to hear Don Cherry's opinion on the penalties in the first.  The Hawks dominated the game so much in the first 30 minutes that I though I would give up at the end of the second period.  The Wings came back with a vengance and I got a chuckle out of the reaction shot of the fans after the Wings third goal.  I thought the Wings had it when Chicago changed goalies in the third; but they didn't manage to mount a credible attack in that period.

Two games in a row that went to overtime; this has been a good series.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Neil

Quote from: Savonarola on May 22, 2009, 10:33:30 PM
No joy in Mudville tonight   :(

CB and I watched this one at a local sports bar; unfortunately they had the game on VS, rather than CBC.  I would have loved to hear Don Cherry's opinion on the penalties in the first.
They didn't have a Coach's Corner tonight.  You'll have to hear what he thinks of them tomorrow.  My guess would be:  Horseshit.  Havlat needs to keep his head up.  One of the announcers was saying that the NHL was trying to spin the penalty as 'hitting Havlat while he was in a vulnerable position', which is ridiculous.
QuoteI thought the Wings had it when Chicago changed goalies in the third; but they didn't manage to mount a credible attack in that period.

Two games in a row that went to overtime; this has been a good series.   :)
Huet is for real.  Don't forget that he went 11-2 in the regular season as the backup.

Still, yeah, this is a great series.  The teams really hate each other.