News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL 2009 Official Thread

Started by Strix, March 10, 2009, 01:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I lost 5 bucks tonite since I lost the "huet will no play a second in the playoffs" bet. -1
Keenan got fired +1
Hawks win +1

When all is done, a pretty good day.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

C.C.R.

Insert fork, pronounce done, Go Penguins...

:weep:

Neil

Quote from: C.C.R. on May 24, 2009, 06:49:58 PM
Insert fork, pronounce done, Go Penguins...

:weep:
Ew, gross.  Go anyone but the Penguins.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

So & the Final only start the 5th. By that time, everyone will have forgotten the NHL.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 24, 2009, 07:05:38 PM
So & the Final only start the 5th. By that time, everyone will have forgotten the NHL.

Who?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Since it seems to be Pens vs Wings, I tentatively toss my support to the Pens, mainly because Satan is on the Pens.

Even though Crosby looks like he is 15 years old.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

saskganesh

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 24, 2009, 07:05:38 PM

see above. NBC/NHL/CBC.
humans were created in their own image

Grey Fox

It has nothing to do with the CBC, in the Commish eyes Canada has no value.

saskganesh

as the highest payee for the rights to the SC final, it has everything to do with CBC.

Strix

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 25, 2009, 08:01:39 AM

Can you blame him? Canada has roughly the same population as the NY/LA TV market combined. The NHL is a business. Bettman might be the face of the NHL but it's the owners and players who are pushing for more money.

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Grey Fox

Quote from: Strix on May 25, 2009, 08:25:27 AM

Can you blame him? Canada has roughly the same population as the NY/LA TV market combined. The NHL is a business. Bettman might be the face of the NHL but it's the owners and players who are pushing for more money.

Yet 40% of the NHL revenues come from 6 teams.

Strix

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 25, 2009, 08:43:17 AM
Quote from: Strix on May 25, 2009, 08:25:27 AM

Yet 40% of the NHL revenues come from 6 teams.

If your point is that no one cares about the NHL in the US than you are correct.

If your point is that Canada can provide just as much potential revenue growth as the US than you are incorrect.

Canada has six teams because the NHL hasn't caught on in the US. If the NHL does ever "arrive" than there will be a lot of pressure to move a lot of those teams south of the border. I hope for your sake that Bettman isn't still Commish if it happens because you will quickly be reduced to the Canadians and Leafs.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

saskganesh

to borrow a sports saying, "potential" is for losers. it's like saying "she has a nice personality" :P

if it's about money, which it is, it's very rare for successful businesses to ignore their core customers.  if the NHL wants to lose millions for decades running shitty teams in bad sinking markets, because it might lead to a network TV deal in an era when networks are battling a full zamboni of niche cable and online providers it's their perogative. I think they just like the expansion fee crack cocaine myself.

Neil

Quote from: saskganesh on May 25, 2009, 08:22:16 AM
as the highest payee for the rights to the SC final, it has everything to do with CBC.
Why?  Even though the CBC shovels money at them, it's clear that they have no influence whatsoever on the NHL's decisionmaking process.  Given that Hockey Night In Canada is the only thing on the CBC that isn't abysmal, I'm less than shocked that even a moron like Bettman managed to figure out who wears the pants.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Strix on May 25, 2009, 08:51:22 AM
Canada has six teams because the NHL hasn't caught on in the US. If the NHL does ever "arrive" than there will be a lot of pressure to move a lot of those teams south of the border. I hope for your sake that Bettman isn't still Commish if it happens because you will quickly be reduced to the Canadians and Leafs.
The funny thing is that hockey had already 'arrived'.  It used to be the #3 sport in the US, after all.  It took a lot of Bettman's mismanagement to destroy that position.