European: Yes
European: No
Asian: Yes
Asian: No
Other: Yes
Other: No

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Jacob on November 04, 2009, 01:54:41 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 04, 2009, 01:44:40 PMAnd what is it with Asians wearing the SARS masks? You see them all over around here, too, and we're in the middle of the midwest, for goodness sakes.

It is considered polite to wear a face mask if you have a cold or other infectious disease and you're out an about.  That way you are less likely to breathe, sneeze or accidentally spit germs on people and things.  It's not about "OMG, I might get infected I better wear a mask", it's "I'm somewhat contagious, this can help limit the spread."

Well, it's also a bit of the former, too. Certainly that's why many teachers are wearing masks right now: "I have to spend all day around these potentially diseased little wankers, I'd better protect myself".
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Camerus

Hospitals are offering free swine flu shots for teachers here in Nanjing. 

Which raises the quandary:  do I dare go to a Chinese hospital for the free shot? 

My wallet says "yes", but my common sense says "no".

HisMajestyBOB

Do they use lead syringes?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on November 04, 2009, 01:54:41 PM
It is considered polite to wear a face mask if you have a cold or other infectious disease and you're out an about.  That way you are less likely to breathe, sneeze or accidentally spit germs on people and things.  It's not about "OMG, I might get infected I better wear a mask", it's "I'm somewhat contagious, this can help limit the spread."

Ah, makes sense. Are the masks effective?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: katmai on November 04, 2009, 02:27:38 PM
I believe both Maximus and Barrister have met him, not sure who if anybody else.

Based on what Max has said, I would very much like to meet Neil in person.  :)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2009, 02:04:07 PM
Politeness is often hard to recognize in today's world.  Especially when one is prepared to initially think the worst of someone.

:yes:

I'm sure Meri dislikes Asians.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2009, 11:00:35 AM
My youngest son is running a fever (not too high though)  and it looks like my wife (who never gets sick) is getting sick as well.

My wife has H1N1 and her lungs sound terrible.  If she doesnt get better soon she might have to be hospitalized.

Meri, I need to you cross those fingers of yours.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2009, 09:37:35 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2009, 02:04:07 PM
Politeness is often hard to recognize in today's world.  Especially when one is prepared to initially think the worst of someone.

:yes:

I'm sure Meri dislikes Asians.

I was thinking of Neil. 

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2009, 03:32:08 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2009, 11:00:35 AM
My youngest son is running a fever (not too high though)  and it looks like my wife (who never gets sick) is getting sick as well.

My wife has H1N1 and her lungs sound terrible.  If she doesnt get better soon she might have to be hospitalized.

Shit, I'm sorry to hear that. Hope she gets better soon.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2009, 03:32:08 PM

That's awful, CC. I really hope she gets better soon, without needing to be hospitalized. :(

How're the tikes?

Oh, and six kids in Riley's class were sent home today from school with H1N1. And they said this was the downswing. :(

Admiral Yi

Drakken

Oh shit, CC. I hope she'll be okey. :console:

It's been 24 hours now. Is she feeling any better? Got any update for us?  :(

crazy canuck

Thanks for the well wishes everyone.  The worst is over and she is recovering.  Had a bit of a scare but everything is ok now.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2009, 09:00:48 PM
Thanks for the well wishes everyone.  The worst is over and she is recovering.  Had a bit of a scare but everything is ok now.

Several of the kids at the school who got H1N1 ended up with bronchitis and/or pneumonia, but only one ended up in the hospital. Hang in there, CC. Sounds like the worst of it is passed. Expect her to be weak as a kitten for a bit, even well after the fever is gone.