And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Offseason Thread

Started by Vince, March 10, 2009, 12:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: citizen k on August 21, 2009, 08:43:13 PM
Quote from: Judas Iscariot on August 21, 2009, 08:33:20 PM
And still we wait! .... Soon now, soon...

I was with you until, "Soon now, soon".
:lol: It's the only way to keep the faith.  Just one more day, just one more day...
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

And still we wait!  Oy vey!  Through our Diaspora to Los Angeles and back again to the Promised Land of Oakland, we waited.  We still wait, we will continue to wait till the moment promised to us, the moment that will reward our years of hardship and suffering, our years of being ridiculed and mocked.  Soon now, soon...

Fuck you.  You had the 1970s, scarring my childhood forever.  You and Al Davis can go piss up a rope.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 21, 2009, 09:26:55 PM
And still we wait!  Oy vey!  Through our Diaspora to Los Angeles and back again to the Promised Land of Oakland, we waited.  We still wait, we will continue to wait till the moment promised to us, the moment that will reward our years of hardship and suffering, our years of being ridiculed and mocked.  Soon now, soon...

Fuck you.  You had the 1970s, scarring my childhood forever.  You and Al Davis can go piss up a rope.
Were the 70s Raiders so bad?  Better them than the Steelers.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PRC

"Dollar" Bill Wirtz died... so will Al Davis.  The question is who gets the team when he goes?  It's worked out well for the Blackhawks.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: PRC on August 21, 2009, 09:48:39 PM
"Dollar" Bill Wirtz died... so will Al Davis.  The question is who gets the team when he goes?  It's worked out well for the Blackhawks.
Jeff George
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on August 21, 2009, 09:40:54 PM

Were the 70s Raiders so bad?  Better them than the Steelers.

Yes, they were far more evullier and skerrier.

MadImmortalMan

Well I have to admit I've never heard anyone use the term "promised land" in reference to Oakland before.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sophie Scholl

Yeah, but one problem:  I was born in 1982.  I was stuck inheriting them via the old man with none of the triumph, only the tragedy.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on August 22, 2009, 03:41:17 AM
Yeah, but one problem:  I was born in 1982.  I was stuck inheriting them via the old man with none of the triumph, only the tragedy.

LOLZ, Jay Schroeder.

PDH

Judas must realize his faith is misplaced.  Sure, they WERE the Oakland Raiders, they are no more.  They left, they ran off.  What returned was not the Raiders, but some dusty old fart's dream of what was.

Maybe, maybe when Al Davis dies the team will be the Raiders again.  There is no hope until then.  As a former Upper Californian, I realize this.  It has been a long time since 1980...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

callmeclemens

Raiders signed Jeff Garcia in the off season, he's pretty sweet still right?

Neil

Quote from: callmeclemens on August 22, 2009, 01:29:34 PM
Raiders signed Jeff Garcia in the off season, he's pretty sweet still right?
Yes.  The only problem is that the Raiders will start that bust from LSU, no matter what.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Roethlisberger strikes back!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/22/roethlisberger-continues-relentless-assault-on-his-accuser/
QuoteRoethlisberger continues relentless assault on his accuser
Posted by Mike Florio on August 22, 2009 12:04 AM ET
Three days after releasing e-mail messages described as the "tip of the investigative iceberg" and publicly demanding that the woman suing Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger abandon her case immediately, Roethlisberger has filed a motion to dismiss the claims against him, support by a 43-page legal brief and 29 exhibits.

We've obtained a copy of everything that has been filed.  (And, consequently, the hard drive on the official PFT Commodore 64 is now full.)

Put simply, the attack against the plaintiff is among the most aggressive I've seen in nearly 18 years of practicing law.

"Plaintiff is a disturbed and calculating woman," Roethlisberger's memorandum states at the outset of the "Introduction" section, "who, together with counsel, fabricated a claim of sexual assault against a two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback to save her job and extort a large monetary payoff."

Roethlisberger also alleged that the plaintiff and her counsel hinted that criminal charges would be filed absent a settlement.  Roethlisberger, in turn, accuses the plaintiff and her lawyer of committing a felony under Nevada law:  "A person who, with the intent to . . . gain any money . . . threatens directly or indirectly to accuse any person of a crime . . . is guilty of a category B felony . . . ."

Roethlisberger also claims that the plaintiff obtained her U.S. Naturalization through false statements, falsely received disability benefits to cover a leave of absence from work, and has "defiled the sanctity of this Court with unsubstantiated and salacious allegations of sexual assault."

The memorandum attaches various affidavits that, in Roethlisberger's view, support the contention that the plaintiff is "an admitted sex addict," that she was "excited about the prospect of having sex with" Roethlisberger, and that she told one of her co-workers that she was interested in having sex with him.

Though the memo contains no express admission by Roethlisberger that a sexual encounter occurred between Roethlisberger and the plaintiff, he never denies it -- and the text of the memorandum strongly implies it:  "Plaintiff boasted that her sex encounter with Mr. Roethlisberger as the 'best ever' and that she did not care if it ever happened again because the sex was 'soooo good.'"

Roethlisberger requests that the plaintiff be required to submit to an "immediate medical examination," alleging that "there is no question that Plaintiff is unstable mentally."

So, regardless of the merits of the case (and, frankly, it doesn't look good at this point for the plaintiff), Roethlisberger's lawyers are using the "nuts and sluts" defense by calling the plaintiff both a nut and a slut.

That said, it's their prerogative to attempt to approve either or both things, if they so choose.  There's a chance it will backfire, however.

But there's also a chance that the approach will cause her to give up, especially if the contention that her charges have been fabricated is true.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

"Nuts and sluts" defense?  That sounds horribly wrong...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Good.  Crush the bitch.

It's nice that we've come far enough as a society that a woman crying rape can be thoroughly debunked.  Fifteen years ago, she'd already be cashing her cheque.