News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Offseason Thread

Started by Vince, March 10, 2009, 12:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Ravens schedule looks good, what with them playing the AFC West and the NFC North this year.  In a freak occurance, their schedule is actually tougher than that of the first-place Steelers, since Indy is a tougher team than the Titans and the Patriots are tougher than Miami.  Still, there's no reason to expect the Ravens not to win at least 10 games, and likely 12.

I'm amused to see the Cowboys get so many prime-time games when their prospects are so poor.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

The Redskins have the NFC West this year and NFC games against Detroit and St. Louis.  Surely even the they can get to the playoffs with that out of division cupcake schedule.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Four of Houston's six division games are clustered right around their bye week (2x Colts, Titans, Jags).  Jets, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, New England at home.  Arizona, Cincy, Buffalo, St. Louis, and Miami on the road.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on April 15, 2009, 08:37:02 AM
The Redskins have the NFC West this year and NFC games against Detroit and St. Louis.  Surely even the they can get to the playoffs with that out of division cupcake schedule.
You mean the AFC West?  San Diego will be tough for Washington, and their game against Oakland is late enough that they'll probably have given up on Russell and be playing Jeff 'Victory Machine' Garcia.  Also, St. Louis has Kyle 'The Ultimate Weapon' Boller, although since you have them in Week 2, Bulger will likely still be unhurt.  Just watch out for Haynesworth crippling Bulger, bringing in the Unstoppable Force.

With the NFC South and their own brutal division games, it's going to be a tough year for the Redskins.  Then again, every year is a tough year for the NFC East teams, as they are very competitive with each other.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on April 15, 2009, 08:49:44 AM
Four of Houston's six division games are clustered right around their bye week (2x Colts, Titans, Jags).  Jets, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, New England at home.  Arizona, Cincy, Buffalo, St. Louis, and Miami on the road.
This is the year for Houston to make a move.  The Colts are confused by their change in leadership and the Titans are demoralized by the fact that the Ravens took away their dream season, their quarterback is a very old man and their backup is the biggest bust since Leaf.  As for the Jags, we'll see if they can recover.

Vince

On paper all the AFC East team's schedules look very hard. 

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on April 15, 2009, 08:51:10 AM
You mean the AFC West?

Yes :blush:

QuoteWith the NFC South and their own brutal division games, it's going to be a tough year for the Redskins.  Then again, every year is a tough year for the NFC East teams, as they are very competitive with each other.

Hope springs eternal!  Besides surely the Eagles and Cowboys are in decline.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on April 15, 2009, 09:31:28 AM
Hope springs eternal!  Besides surely the Eagles and Cowboys are in decline.
Maybe, maybe not.  It's not exactly clear that the Redskins are on the wax either.  The NFL certainly doesn't think the Cowboys are on the decline.  I rather expect a swath of articles on how they'll go undefeated.

Grey Fox

I want to play Fantasy Football again :(
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on April 15, 2009, 08:30:54 AM
Still, there's no reason to expect the Ravens not to win at least 10 games,

:lmfao:

Don't et me wrong - the Ravens could very well wind up winning 10-12 games.  But to say there's no reason not to expect?  This is the NFL, the ultimate in league parity.  Any team can beat you on any given day.  Looking at the Ravens schedule, there are only 2 games that could/should be gimmies - against the Lions and the Raiders.  Other than that while there are games the Ravens should win (against the Chiefs, Browns x 2, Bengals x2) those are far from guaranteed wins.

And since someone needs to stand up for the NFC North, again excepting the hapless Lions all of those teams could be challenges for you...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Quote from: Neil on April 15, 2009, 08:30:54 AM
  Still, there's no reason to expect the Ravens not to win at least 10 games, and likely 12.

I'm amused to see the Cowboys get so many prime-time games when their prospects are so poor.
The loss of the defensive coordinator, the loss of Bart Scott, still no real playmakers at WR, the possibility of the dreaded sophomore slump by a possibly already overrated QB, a much tougher schedule with games at

San Diego
New England
Minnesota
Green Bay

Along with home games against Indy and Chicago

Neil

The loss of Bart Scott isn't actually a loss at all.  People have been predicting the doom of the Ravens every time a linebacker goes somewhere else.  Sharper, Hartwell, Boulware and Thomas were all predicted to take the key of the Ravens defence with them.  And yet the Ravens keep on doing well.  They'll miss Ryan, but the same principle holds true.  The Ravens D remained a force to be reckoned with after Marvin Lewis left, and after Mike Nolan left.  The WR issue isn't a serious issue, as while the team lacks a big, fast TO or Randy Moss-type receiver, you can't say that Derrick Mason doesn't make plays.  With Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams, I have to say that I like the Ravens chances.  If you look at the way the receiving corps is built, it's a lot like the Steelers, who won a couple of Superbowls in the last decade.

The possibility of a sophomore slump isn't a serious concern.  It's always possible that any player in the league might blow a tire and fall apart.  Trying to predict that sort of thing is pointless and impossible.  It's hard to say that Flacco is overrated, since it seems to me that he's considered a good, but pedestrian QB.  It's not like we're talking about Brett Favre here.

As for the games, Baltimore matches up well against San Diego, and to a lesser extent New England.  Minnesota and Green Bay both suck.  Indy will almost certainly beat the Ravens due to their freaky Raven-killing mojo, but Chicago will not.  Cutler is trash, and will most certainly get jacked up.

derspiess

Seems like the Bungles play the Broncos almost every year.  Not that I mind it *this* year, mind you :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

2009 strength of schedule rankings

Rank, Team, Opponents' 2008 winning %

28. Baltimore Ravens   .438
29. Pittsburgh Steelers    .434

12 wins?  Uh, yeah.

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2009, 05:34:22 PM
2009 strength of schedule rankings

Rank, Team, Opponents' 2008 winning %

28. Baltimore Ravens   .438
29. Pittsburgh Steelers    .434

12 wins?  Uh, yeah.

Last year the Steelers played the hardest schedule in NFL history, based on the previous year's winning percentage.