News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spending habits

Started by Brazen, October 08, 2009, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many days in an average week do you spend nothing at all?

21 (42%)
6 (12%)
6 (12%)
6 (12%)
4 (8%)
4 (8%)
3 (6%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Rasputin

Quote from: Tyr on October 08, 2009, 11:51:55 AM
I'd guess 2 or 3.
I live near a supermarket and aren't the richest or most trusting of people so generally just buy what I need.

It's not possible but it makes people feel productive to reallocate the timing of their spend to create the illusion of a savings.
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

Quote from: Berkut on October 08, 2009, 11:12:30 AM
Quote from: Warspite on October 08, 2009, 10:15:21 AM
Quote from: Brazen on October 08, 2009, 10:06:28 AM
Quote from: Rasputin on October 08, 2009, 09:52:02 AM
Let me know how that works for you. I fail to see how your packing your lunch saves money once you've factored in the value of your own time and your own energy costs. The restaraunt has economies of scale that don't exist in your kitchen.

Further, I posit that you are more likely to binge spend if you try to refrain and deny yourself than if you always have walking money you know is available for spontaneous use.
Working so far. Today's lunch and snacks totalled around £2. A canteen lunch, crisps, pop, chocolate etc. is usually around £5.

Did you factor in the cost of your time and also the costs of maintaining a kitchen?

This is an illusion - my time does not cost me anything - I already own it.

And I am going to maintain a kitchen whether I bring lunch or not.

Opportunity cost! I may own the farm but if I chose not to grow anything and play in the fields it has cost me a lot to play.
Who is John Galt?

garbon

Let me know how that works for you. I fail to see how your packing your lunch saves money once you've factored in the value of your own time and your own energy costs. The restaraunt has economies of scale that don't exist in your kitchen.

We've just met, but it sounds like you lack common sense. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Rasputin on October 09, 2009, 09:37:25 AM
Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2009, 10:17:24 AM
I fail to see how your packing your lunch saves money once you've factored in the value of your own time and your own energy costs. The restaraunt has economies of scale that don't exist in your kitchen.
Bread is about $1 per week.  Lunch meat is about $2-3 a week.  Cheese is roughly $2 a week, at most.  Margarine is about 10 cents a week.  Vegetables will run you $3 a week.  Add a granola bar or something for about $3 a week.  That runs you at most $12 a week for lunches.  Eating the cheapest food around for lunch, you'll end up spending at least $5 a day, which works out to $25 a week, at the absolute minimum.

Clearly, there are great savings to be made by making your own lunch, even if you factor in the five minutes it takes to prepare one.

You chose not to run? :yeahright:
What?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2009, 09:59:13 AM
He will make a great addition to the Languish family. :yes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

BuddhaRhubarb

one or two days most weeks. Always a weekday though. If I bought groceries on Monday I likely won't spend any money til wed at the earliest.
:p

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on October 09, 2009, 01:05:24 PM

If it is who I think it is, then no.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

I prefer the Boney M song.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Brazen on October 08, 2009, 12:00:49 PM
To make people aware of just how easy it is to spend money arbitrarily on unplanned and unnecessary stuff every single day.

Independent of this day, which I solely included as an illustrative phenomenon, I was just trying to think when I'd last gone a day without buying odd bits and bobs. Thought I had one and remembered the Coke. Reminded me someone thought it was important enough to have a day for. Simple as.

If you include spending money on lunch, then I spend money every working day.  If you dont then the only days I spend money is on the weekends when I am out and about with my family.

Rasputin

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 09, 2009, 01:20:18 PM

If it is who I think it is, then no.

Bite me ...or at least send me some pr0n.
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

I cannot help it that this forum is teeming with those who view their time as having no value. I ought to send you a tuition bill.
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

:)
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

Quote from: Armyknife on October 09, 2009, 01:52:37 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on October 09, 2009, 01:49:33 PM

I cannot help it that this forum is teeming with those who view their time as having no value. I ought to send you a tuition bill.

You're assuming time can only be valued in monetary terms.  ;)

No; one can value time however one wants. I am instead assuming (correctly I might add) that a person's time has an intrinsic monetary value and that there is therefore an inherent opportunity cost to any non money making pursuit. That cost may be worth it for some reason subjective to the person spending the time, but it is still an objective opportunity cost to anyone capable of productive labor.
Who is John Galt?

Josquius

Quote from: Rasputin on October 09, 2009, 09:40:50 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 08, 2009, 11:51:55 AM
I'd guess 2 or 3.
I live near a supermarket and aren't the richest or most trusting of people so generally just buy what I need.

It's not possible but it makes people feel productive to reallocate the timing of their spend to create the illusion of a savings.
Nah, its not that. Its just what I feel like eating varies.
I don't decide a week in advance 'next Thursday I shall eat pizza', I just get to Thursday and my body tells me 'pizza....nom nom nom'. It gets me out of the house a bit too, I'm hardly lacking for free time right now.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

Quote from: Rasputin on October 09, 2009, 01:56:53 PM
Quote from: Armyknife on October 09, 2009, 01:52:37 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on October 09, 2009, 01:49:33 PM

You're assuming time can only be valued in monetary terms.  ;)

No; one can value time however one wants. I am instead assuming (correctly I might add) that a person's time has an intrinsic monetary value and that there is therefore an inherent opportunity cost to any non money making pursuit. That cost may be worth it for some reason subjective to the person spending the time, but it is still an objective opportunity cost to anyone capable of productive labor.

This assumes that most people have the ability to transalte random moments of free time directly into income. I know I do not, and I don't think too many other people do either.

Therefore, the "opportunity" cost is likely very mininal - so minimal that it cannot outweigh the actual monetary cost of going out to lunch.

This is an argument people make to justify blowing a lot of money on eating out to lunch every day, and considering that eating out to lunch probably takes a LOT more time than making lunch, it is utterly spurious.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned