News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spending habits

Started by Brazen, October 08, 2009, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many days in an average week do you spend nothing at all?

21 (42%)
6 (12%)
6 (12%)
6 (12%)
4 (8%)
4 (8%)
3 (6%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

KRonn

A workday for me usually has me buying a couple of coffees, and sometimes lunch, usually from the cafeteria. So I spend up to 10 dollars at most. Sometimes I bring a lunch. Weekends are cheaper as I eat at home but I'll do grocery and other shopping anyway. So it's unlikely that I have days where I don't spend money, but I tend to plan my spending pretty well. I save on groceries with coupons, specials on items, 2 for 1, the store's discount card which also gives me a break on gasoline purchases.

crazy canuck

How can anyone exist in today's world without spending something every day: Utilities, internet, TV, phone, cell, MMOs :P, food, gas for the car or transit (or both).

But all that aside, what is the possible utility of a day like this.  To stop or reduce discretionary spending?  Where is the utility in that?

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on October 08, 2009, 11:12:30 AM
This is an illusion - my time does not cost me anything - I already own it.
:yes: The value of your time only matters in this case if you are being paid to make lunch, or if making lunch prevents you from being paid for performing some other task.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 08, 2009, 11:14:57 AM
How can anyone exist in today's world without spending something every day: Utilities, internet, TV, phone, cell, MMOs :P, food, gas for the car or transit (or both).
That wasn't the nature of her question.  It was: do you have days where you do not open your wallet?  There is indeed an assumption that you are already paying for services such as those you describe.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 11:23:13 AM
That wasn't the nature of her question.  It was: do you have days where you do not open your wallet?  There is indeed an assumption that you are already paying for services such as those you describe.

Since almost everything I spend is spent electronically the question is technologically irrelevant.

Caliga

When you go out to eat, do you pay electronically or do you use cash or credit card?  This is the kind of spending Brazen is asking about.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 08, 2009, 11:30:11 AM

Since almost everything I spend is spent electronically the question is technologically irrelevant.

Of course it isn't. She is talking about discretionary and impulsive spending, not whether or not you use anything that costs you money.

Really, I don't understand the desire to not understand a pretty simple question.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Brazen

Quote from: Berkut on October 08, 2009, 11:35:32 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 08, 2009, 11:30:11 AM

Of course it isn't. She is talking about discretionary and impulsive spending, not whether or not you use anything that costs you money.

Really, I don't understand the desire to not understand a pretty simple question.
Thank you, saves me repeating myself ad nauseam  ^_^

Brazen

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 11:32:55 AM
When you go out to eat, do you pay electronically or do you use cash or credit card?  This is the kind of spending Brazen is asking about.
Well, not the method, as whether there's a day when you just don't do this at all.

Josquius

I'd guess 2 or 3.
I live near a supermarket and aren't the richest or most trusting of people so generally just buy what I need.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

I understand the question, I am merely waiting for someone to explain the utility of why this day even exists.  Is that possible for you to do?

Grey Fox

It's like "no driving days"

To piss other people off.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Brazen

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 08, 2009, 11:55:58 AM
I understand the question, I am merely waiting for someone to explain the utility of why this day even exists.  Is that possible for you to do?
To make people aware of just how easy it is to spend money arbitrarily on unplanned and unnecessary stuff every single day.

Independent of this day, which I solely included as an illustrative phenomenon, I was just trying to think when I'd last gone a day without buying odd bits and bobs. Thought I had one and remembered the Coke. Reminded me someone thought it was important enough to have a day for. Simple as.

Berkut

Sure - it is an effort to get people to think a little more about their spending habits.

It may not be useful for everyone (I am very cognizant of my own, now), but plenty of people probably spend a lot more than they think on "minor" expenses.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Well, it may not be useful to everyone, but it's obviously useful to her or she wouldn't have asked. :mellow: