News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spending habits

Started by Brazen, October 08, 2009, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many days in an average week do you spend nothing at all?

21 (42%)
6 (12%)
6 (12%)
6 (12%)
4 (8%)
4 (8%)
3 (6%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 08, 2009, 12:00:34 PM
It's like "no driving days"

To piss other people off.
Or perhaps rather to save funds to put them to better use later. :smarty:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

I spend most days (with spending defined as in the OP).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: Brazen on October 08, 2009, 11:49:35 AMWell, not the method, as whether there's a day when you just don't do this at all.
I was going to get to that. :P

I was under the impression CC didn't understand the question, rather than he was questioning why it was being asked.

MadImmortalMan

Voted 4. That's probably pretty accurate.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Quote from: Rasputin on October 08, 2009, 09:35:56 AM
Quote from: Brazen on October 08, 2009, 09:31:59 AM
But the fact is, even given this proviso and the fact that all the electricty etc. you're consuming is paid for in advance, it's still incredibly difficult not to dip into your wallet/purse and just not spend "real time" as it were.

If the test is simply one of cash flow, then I would think it would be fairly routine not to use cash or a credit card on many weekend days? But martin is correct, the beer one pulls out of the fridge Saturday, one paid for on Friday. Thus, the "holiday" is a mirage.
Actually I use my credit card much more often on weekends.

I have a 5-meal diet delivered to me each day on weekday mornings, and they are paid for in advance, so it's not inconceivable for me to go a whole work day without spending anything (though I buy newspapers, and shit so it is not that frequent). However, on weekends it's at least 1) morning coffee and croissants at a local cafe, 2) The Economist, 3) groceries, 4) clothing store(s), 5) wine shop, 6) night out clubbing where I use my card.

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on October 08, 2009, 12:01:59 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 08, 2009, 11:55:58 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 08, 2009, 11:35:32 AM
Of course it isn't. She is talking about discretionary and impulsive spending, not whether or not you use anything that costs you money.

Really, I don't understand the desire to not understand a pretty simple question.

I understand the question, I am merely waiting for someone to explain the utility of why this day even exists.  Is that possible for you to do?

Sure - it is an effort to get people to think a little more about their spending habits.

It may not be useful for everyone (I am very cognizant of my own, now), but plenty of people probably spend a lot more than they think on "minor" expenses.

Oh in that sense I guess it is useful. I'm OCD enough to use my iPhone app to record the amount and category of expense every time I use my credit card (I started doing it since my expenses kept ballooning) so I don't need it. :P

Berkut

I think I might be getting senile.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Marti gets Meals on Wheels  :lol:

Viking

I live above a grocery store. I shop every day.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

MadBurgerMaker

0.  I'd die without my daily enormous energy drink.  Caffeine, in relatively huge quantities, seems to be what I replaced my smokes with. 

PDH

Freedom isn't free, goddammit.  We must spend to keep away the commie menace.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Agelastus

Quote from: PDH on October 08, 2009, 07:09:46 PM

How does buying Chinese goods and enriching China keep the Commies away? :huh:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

PDH

Quote from: Agelastus on October 08, 2009, 07:39:36 PM

You are a commie yourself, admit it.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Agelastus

Quote from: PDH on October 08, 2009, 07:42:08 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on October 08, 2009, 07:39:36 PM

You are a commie yourself, admit it.

I deny everything...I wasn't involved in importing container loads of Chinese lighting equipment, no sir, not me, you want the fellow who ran that away...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Monoriu

0.  I usually take the underground when I go out, and I have to pay for each trip.  So unless I stay home all day (which is rare), I'll spend money.