News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spending habits

Started by Brazen, October 08, 2009, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many days in an average week do you spend nothing at all?

21 (42%)
6 (12%)
6 (12%)
6 (12%)
4 (8%)
4 (8%)
3 (6%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Brazen

November 28th is Buy Nothing Day, an annual anti-consumerism (and therefore almost certainly anti-American) awareness event. But how often in an average week, other than direct debits and standing orders to pay bills, do you spend nothing? At all? Cash, card or cheque?

I thought I was on my second day this week until I remembered I stuck £1 in the machine yesterday for an emergency diet Coke.  :blush:

Martinus

How can an adult person that works normal hours and is not on the upkeep of someone else spend nothing at all on any given day, unless it's a matter of a book-keeping trick (e.g. pay for it on another day etc.)?

The concept behind the day seems retarded to me. After all, unless you retire and live as a hermit for that day, you will be consuming - whether using electricity, or public transport or simply food. So the only way you could "observe" this day is by paying more on another day - which kinda defeats the purpose, no?

Slargos

As a rule, I don't cook so my food storage is far from Mormon levels which means I buy at the very least some foodstuffs every day.

Ed Anger

That reminds me to spend on Nov 28th. Thanks B!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valdemar

3-4 ish... I rarely do the grocery shopping and the lunch I buy is expensed to the client, so while I purchase it i do not spend it :)

V

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 08, 2009, 09:18:11 AM

I'm throwing my birthday party on Nov 28th this year (this is the last Saturday before my actual birthday on 30th), so the bitches I'm inviting better spend money on that day.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on October 08, 2009, 09:23:54 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 08, 2009, 09:18:11 AM

I'm throwing my birthday party on Nov 28th this year (this is the last Saturday between my actual birthday on 30th), so the bitches I'm inviting better spend money on that day.

Now I don't want to spend on the 28th.  :(

Eddie Teach

It's two days after thanksgiving, you probably don't want to be out shopping.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HisMajestyBOB

I usually take the bus every weekday, and I'm almost always doing something on weekends, so 0.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on October 08, 2009, 09:17:59 AM
How can an adult person that works normal hours and is not on the upkeep of someone else spend nothing at all on any given day, unless it's a matter of a book-keeping trick (e.g. pay for it on another day etc.)?

The concept behind the day seems retarded to me. After all, unless you retire and live as a hermit for that day, you will be consuming - whether using electricity, or public transport or simply food. So the only way you could "observe" this day is by paying more on another day - which kinda defeats the purpose, no?
The poll isn't about not consuming, it's about not spending. I do proper shopping for the week and bring in packed lunches, so it's not that difficult to go a day without opening my purse. But in practice, there's often just that one little thing, like the bottle of diet Coke.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 08, 2009, 09:27:11 AM
It's two days after thanksgiving, you probably don't want to be out shopping.

Gotta walk off all that food. Plus I like elbowing people for the last Tickle me Elmo doll.

Rasputin

Quote from: Martinus on October 08, 2009, 09:17:59 AM

This is the first sensible thing you've said in an eon.
Who is John Galt?

Brazen

But the fact is, even given this proviso and the fact that all the electricty etc. you're consuming is paid for in advance, it's still incredibly difficult not to dip into your wallet/purse and just not spend "real time" as it were.

Grey Fox

I think I'm gonna buy a lot of stuff on Nov. 28th.

Also 0 days, maybe 1. But that has to exclude consuming electricity & gas.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Rasputin

Quote from: Brazen on October 08, 2009, 09:31:59 AM
But the fact is, even given this proviso and the fact that all the electricty etc. you're consuming is paid for in advance, it's still incredibly difficult not to dip into your wallet/purse and just not spend "real time" as it were.

If the test is simply one of cash flow, then I would think it would be fairly routine not to use cash or a credit card on many weekend days? But martin is correct, the beer one pulls out of the fridge Saturday, one paid for on Friday. Thus, the "holiday" is a mirage.
Who is John Galt?