News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spending habits

Started by Brazen, October 08, 2009, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many days in an average week do you spend nothing at all?

21 (42%)
6 (12%)
6 (12%)
6 (12%)
4 (8%)
4 (8%)
3 (6%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Neil

I would say that, on average, I don't spend any money 6 days of the week.  That's what allows me to hoard cash.

My wife, on the other hand, loves spending money, which is why we have seperate bank accounts.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Brazen

Quote from: Rasputin on October 08, 2009, 09:35:56 AM
If the test is simply one of cash flow, then I would think it would be fairly routine not to use cash or a credit card on many weekend days? But martin is correct, the beer one pulls out of the fridge Saturday, one paid for on Friday. Thus, the "holiday" is a mirage.
I beg to differ. If we got into the habit of planning ahead rather than instant gratification we'd spend less through better planning, less waste, less trips etc. And may even lose weight by having to eat and drink what's in the fridge rather than being able to purchase what we fancy right now. Certainly when I was growing up we only went shopping once a week.

Rasputin

Quote from: Brazen on October 08, 2009, 09:39:32 AM
Quote from: Rasputin on October 08, 2009, 09:35:56 AM
If the test is simply one of cash flow, then I would think it would be fairly routine not to use cash or a credit card on many weekend days? But martin is correct, the beer one pulls out of the fridge Saturday, one paid for on Friday. Thus, the "holiday" is a mirage.
I beg to differ. If we got into the habit of planning ahead rather than instant gratification we'd spend less through better planning, less waste, less trips etc. And may even lose weight by having to eat and drink what's in the fridge rather than being able to purchase what we fancy right now. Certainly when I was growing up we only went shopping once a week.

Let me know how that works for you. I fail to see how your packing your lunch saves money once you've factored in the value of your own time and your own energy costs. The restaraunt has economies of scale that don't exist in your kitchen.

Further, I posit that you are more likely to binge spend if you try to refrain and deny yourself than if you always have walking money you know is available for spontaneous use.

Who is John Galt?

Caliga

I would say three on average.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Brazen

Quote from: Rasputin on October 08, 2009, 09:52:02 AM
Let me know how that works for you. I fail to see how your packing your lunch saves money once you've factored in the value of your own time and your own energy costs. The restaraunt has economies of scale that don't exist in your kitchen.

Further, I posit that you are more likely to binge spend if you try to refrain and deny yourself than if you always have walking money you know is available for spontaneous use.
Working so far. Today's lunch and snacks totalled around £2. A canteen lunch, crisps, pop, chocolate etc. is usually around £5.

DisturbedPervert

None unless I'm too sick to eat

lustindarkness

About 5, I don't need to spend money, I have a wife that does that for me.  :wub:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

BVN

Quote from: Martinus on October 08, 2009, 09:23:54 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 08, 2009, 09:18:11 AM
That reminds me to spend on Nov 28th. Thanks B!

I'm throwing my birthday party on Nov 28th this year (this is the last Saturday before my actual birthday on 30th), so the bitches I'm inviting better spend money on that day.
Don't say I share my birthday with you... :face:

I kid. I will drink one on you too on nov 30th  :hug:

Warspite

Quote from: Brazen on October 08, 2009, 10:06:28 AM

Working so far. Today's lunch and snacks totalled around £2. A canteen lunch, crisps, pop, chocolate etc. is usually around £5.

Did you factor in the cost of your time and also the costs of maintaining a kitchen?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Neil

I fail to see how your packing your lunch saves money once you've factored in the value of your own time and your own energy costs. The restaraunt has economies of scale that don't exist in your kitchen.
Bread is about $1 per week.  Lunch meat is about $2-3 a week.  Cheese is roughly $2 a week, at most.  Margarine is about 10 cents a week.  Vegetables will run you $3 a week.  Add a granola bar or something for about $3 a week.  That runs you at most $12 a week for lunches.  Eating the cheapest food around for lunch, you'll end up spending at least $5 a day, which works out to $25 a week, at the absolute minimum.

Clearly, there are great savings to be made by making your own lunch, even if you factor in the five minutes it takes to prepare one.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Brazen

Quote from: Warspite on October 08, 2009, 10:15:21 AM
Did you factor in the cost of your time and also the costs of maintaining a kitchen?
I use work's kitchen, it takes me as long to heat up food as it does to go to the canteen and queue, it's in my free lunch time, I buy it all in my weekly shop so there's no extra time there.

I don't even know why I'm arguing about this anyhow as it's not to the point at all, which was soley about how easy it is to put your hand in your pocket and spend something every day of the week, so I'm not going to take this argument any further.

In fact, when I was growing up, shops were shut on Sunday and Wednesday afternoon and at 5 most weekdays so there was very little opportunity to spend anyhow.

Duque de Bragança

I usually spend more on weekends in errands, specially when I'm in Paris. Otherwise, I'll spend money if need be in Frankfurt or wherever I am during the week.
So there might be a few days without any spend at all.

Grey Fox

I bring my lunch at work & it has nothing to do with money. It's just that everything around is craptastic & I like to read during my lunch hour. Kitchen is closer then the mall.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 09:53:12 AM
I would say three on average.

Yeah, I would go with 4, especially since I quit eating out for lunch.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Warspite on October 08, 2009, 10:15:21 AM
Quote from: Brazen on October 08, 2009, 10:06:28 AM

This is an illusion - my time does not cost me anything - I already own it.

And I am going to maintain a kitchen whether I bring lunch or not.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned