News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spending habits

Started by Brazen, October 08, 2009, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many days in an average week do you spend nothing at all?

21 (42%)
6 (12%)
6 (12%)
6 (12%)
4 (8%)
4 (8%)
3 (6%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

garbon

I could go days without spending but I typically fail to pack a lunch.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Camerus

Typically 1-2.  As of late, I've become a budget nazi, and am extremely strict about keeping to daily (weekly) spending allowances.  So while there is some room for discretionary spending in there, it is all monitored in advance by my budget.

Monoriu

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 08, 2009, 10:57:51 PM
Typically 1-2.  As of late, I've become a budget nazi, and am extremely strict about keeping to daily (weekly) spending allowances.  So while there is some room for discretionary spending in there, it is all monitored in advance by my budget.

:worthy:

Camerus

I guess Chinese culture must be rubbing off on me.   ;) 

Brazen

I did actually manage a day without discretionary spending yesterday, and I think I might make an effort to do it at least once a week in future.

Mind you, I did then but a shit-load of clothes and special offer nail varnish online before breakfast today...  :blush:

Monoriu

Quote from: Brazen on October 09, 2009, 04:04:15 AM
I did actually manage a day without discretionary spending yesterday, and I think I might make an effort to do it at least once a week in future.

Mind you, I did then but a shit-load of clothes and special offer nail varnish online before breakfast today...  :blush:

Yet another reason why this whole "don't spend money on x days in a week" is meaningless  :P

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Monoriu on October 08, 2009, 09:57:48 PM
0.  I usually take the underground when I go out, and I have to pay for each trip.  So unless I stay home all day (which is rare), I'll spend money.

Yes, unless you have some form of pre paid transport like a bus/rail pass, it's impossible to spend nothing in a day.

Brazen

0.  I usually take the underground when I go out, and I have to pay for each trip.  So unless I stay home all day (which is rare), I'll spend money.
You don't have an Octopus card for the MTR? For shame.

Monoriu

Quote from: Brazen on October 09, 2009, 08:25:22 AM
You don't have an Octopus card for the MTR? For shame.

:huh:

I got the Octopus card as soon as I came back from Canada - 11 years ago.  I regard deductions from the card "spending".

Monoriu

Wait.  Brazen, don't tell me you thought spending from the London Oyster card isn't "spending".  That's clearly cheating  :P

Brazen

Quote from: Monoriu on October 09, 2009, 08:33:40 AM
Wait.  Brazen, don't tell me you thought spending from the London Oyster card isn't "spending".  That's clearly cheating  :P
It doesn't operate in my zone. I have a monthly travel card which costs the same however many journeys I take, hence it's part of my monthly bills, not discretionary spending :P

grumbler

Quote from: Warspite on October 08, 2009, 10:15:21 AM
Did you factor in the cost of your time and also the costs of maintaining a kitchen?
I don't think you quite understand the concept of marginal costs.  If I were you, I would drop the argument before you go any further into inanity.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on October 08, 2009, 11:11:12 AM
Yeah, I would go with 4, especially since I quit eating out for lunch.
Same here. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 11:22:13 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 08, 2009, 11:12:30 AM
This is an illusion - my time does not cost me anything - I already own it.
:yes: The value of your time only matters in this case if you are being paid to make lunch, or if making lunch prevents you from being paid for performing some other task.
The value of your time is the opportunity cost of what you give up to spend that time making the lunch.  If what you give up is simply watching more TV or the like, the value may not be very high.

Bayraktar!

Rasputin

Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2009, 10:17:24 AM
Quote from: Rasputin on October 08, 2009, 09:52:02 AM
I fail to see how your packing your lunch saves money once you've factored in the value of your own time and your own energy costs. The restaraunt has economies of scale that don't exist in your kitchen.
Bread is about $1 per week.  Lunch meat is about $2-3 a week.  Cheese is roughly $2 a week, at most.  Margarine is about 10 cents a week.  Vegetables will run you $3 a week.  Add a granola bar or something for about $3 a week.  That runs you at most $12 a week for lunches.  Eating the cheapest food around for lunch, you'll end up spending at least $5 a day, which works out to $25 a week, at the absolute minimum.

Clearly, there are great savings to be made by making your own lunch, even if you factor in the five minutes it takes to prepare one.

You chose not to run? :yeahright:
Who is John Galt?