News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spirituality 2009

Started by Martinus, October 04, 2009, 04:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 06, 2009, 02:32:17 AMI know several witches. None of them are all that "magical" :p
But all of them are completely bonkers, eh? :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on October 05, 2009, 07:59:43 PM
Since the whole point of spirituality is to become aware of things outside yourself perhaps they are interested in it because they are trying to stop being so self-obsessed?

Also critical reasoning skills are pretty essential for exploring spiritual things since the amoung to bullshit out there can easily lead the foolish astray.
I agree with Mongers that the whole idea of spiritual people makes me a bit suspicious.  So many of them seem like Madonna minus musculature.  Spirituality's a middle class hobby for ladies what lunch - a bit like Pilates - or an aesthetic choice like an Indian fabric hanging on the wall.  90% of the time, if not more, people who are 'spiritual' have as much to do with reasoning and the world around them as they have a genuine connection to the origins of the various ethnic fabrics that they own, wear, use to decorate their house.

Though, of course, there are some genuinely very spiritual people.
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

I suppose that depends on what circles one travels in. Our group Sunday seemed very focused on thinking beyond themselves and where they fall in the bigger picture. That, at least, is what came out of the night from my perspective. It used to be that those answers came from the priest or minister, but when you drop religion, that tends to get lost, too.

We're hoping to regain some perspective without bothering with the Hell and Damnation speeches.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 06, 2009, 02:32:17 AM
I know several witches. None of them are all that "magical" :p

I'm good friends with at least six women who consider themselves "witches". They all believe in "magic(k)" in some form or another, even if it's just manipulating energies. I just have a hard time believing that that's possible, which makes it hard to follow the same path. *shrugs*
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Quote from: merithyn on October 06, 2009, 07:17:18 AM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 06, 2009, 02:32:17 AM
I know several witches. None of them are all that "magical" :p

I'm good friends with at least six women who consider themselves "witches". They all believe in "magic(k)" in some form or another, even if it's just manipulating energies. I just have a hard time believing that that's possible, which makes it hard to follow the same path. *shrugs*

I want to punch those 6 women in the nu..stomach.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

So I was right about the completely bonkers part. :smoke:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 06, 2009, 07:14:34 AM
I suppose that depends on what circles one travels in. Our group Sunday seemed very focused on thinking beyond themselves and where they fall in the bigger picture. That, at least, is what came out of the night from my perspective. It used to be that those answers came from the priest or minister, but when you drop religion, that tends to get lost, too.

We're hoping to regain some perspective without bothering with the Hell and Damnation speeches.

Come now surely even in mainstream Catholic and protestant denominations hell and damnation rarely come up anymore.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 06, 2009, 07:09:29 AM
I agree with Mongers that the whole idea of spiritual people makes me a bit suspicious.  So many of them seem like Madonna minus musculature.  Spirituality's a middle class hobby for ladies what lunch - a bit like Pilates - or an aesthetic choice like an Indian fabric hanging on the wall.  90% of the time, if not more, people who are 'spiritual' have as much to do with reasoning and the world around them as they have a genuine connection to the origins of the various ethnic fabrics that they own, wear, use to decorate their house.

Though, of course, there are some genuinely very spiritual people.

Yeah for some people it just oozes out of them.

I do not get exactly what you are getting at.  Clearly anything can become an aesthetic choice for those who see the world that way.  Even your work, your children, your family, you hobbies and everything can in the end come down to how one decorates your life.  Certainly tons of people treat their religion that way.

But anyway I just figure since spirituality and religion does stimulate a specific part of the brain it is a physical phenonmena in humans and logically one should explore that part of themselves.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Meh I suppose that sort of thing has some value but I refuse to believe in something that makes no rational sense.  Rituals and things like that can be good in setting your mind in certain ways and empowering yourself but beyond that it goes into the realm of superstition.  Alot of people get that way about prayer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on October 06, 2009, 07:43:34 AM
I do not get exactly what you are getting at.  Clearly anything can become an aesthetic choice for those who see the world that way.  Even your work, your children, your family, you hobbies and everything can in the end come down to how one decorates your life.
Oh of course.  But in my experience people who describe themselves as spiritual are more likely to seem like Ab Fab extras than normal.

QuoteCertainly tons of people treat their religion that way.
I don't think so.  Religion takes quite a lot of effort.  It involves going to Church, praying 5 times a day, cooking up a storm at Gurdwara.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 06, 2009, 07:51:32 AM
I don't think so.  Religion takes quite a lot of effort.  It involves going to Church, praying 5 times a day, cooking up a storm at Gurdwara.

Well I sort of agree actually.  In my personal opinion spirituality is a social process, since I think it is somehow connected to forming deep companionship among people...which is ironic considering how often we kill each other over it by anyway...so outside of an organized social structure it is more difficult.

Agelastus

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 06, 2009, 07:24:46 AM
I'm Raistlin.

Presumably not including the coughing up blood and dying part though.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Agelastus on October 06, 2009, 07:57:24 AM
I'm Raistlin.

Considering my luck in the past 3 years, maybe.

Agelastus

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 06, 2009, 07:58:42 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on October 06, 2009, 07:57:24 AM
I'm Raistlin.

Considering my luck in the past 3 years, maybe.

:huh:

:(

I really hope you are wrong about that.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."