Main Menu

Spirituality 2009

Started by Martinus, October 04, 2009, 04:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on October 04, 2009, 08:41:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2009, 08:15:55 PM
My religion is totally awesome IMHO.
Negative.  It is stupid, and without moral value.

Nonsense, it is brilliant and shines the light of true morality upon every topic.  Open yourself to true gloriousness of Unity and be saved heathen!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on October 04, 2009, 09:55:51 PM
No idea what spirituality is.  Not going to bother with it.

So much for the mystical eastern soul.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HisMajestyBOB

My hotel this weekend had a Gideon's Bible and a "Gideon's Buddhist book". I started reading the latter - kinda interesting, since I know nothing of Buddhism. I thought about stealing it so that I could finish reading it, but realized that would be wrong.

Not that I'm gonna convert or anything. It's just interesting to see the parallels and differences with Christianity.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

citizen k

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2009, 10:00:31 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 04, 2009, 09:55:51 PM
No idea what spirituality is.  Not going to bother with it.

So much for the mystical eastern soul.

Mono just made Baby Lao-Tsu cry.  :lol:

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on October 04, 2009, 09:54:02 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on October 04, 2009, 09:36:51 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 04, 2009, 08:41:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2009, 08:15:55 PM
My religion is totally awesome IMHO.
Negative.  It is stupid, and without moral value.
Morality is a tool of the weak.
Incorrect.  Morality is a tool used by the strong to impose their will on the weak, with their own consent.

I thought it was the other way around.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 04, 2009, 10:22:05 PM
Not that I'm gonna convert or anything. It's just interesting to see the parallels and differences with Christianity.
Buddhists would argue that it is because that Christianity got stuff from it, but more likely they were both transformed by the influence of local Indo-European cults and Hellenistic philosophy. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Queequeg on October 05, 2009, 12:17:46 AM
Buddhists would argue that it is because that Christianity got stuff from it, but more likely they were both transformed by the influence of local Indo-European cults and Hellenistic philosophy.

How's Hinduism fit in? I'd have thought that Buddhism would be far more influenced from that than Hellenistic philosophy.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Sheilbh

I'm not at all spiritual and I'm happy with that.  No plans to try and expand my spirituality either.
Let's bomb Russia!

Pat

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 05, 2009, 12:34:50 AM

How's Hinduism fit in? I'd have thought that Buddhism would be far more influenced from that than Hellenistic philosophy.

The Greco-Bactrian kingdoms left behind by Alexander meshed hellenic thought with hinduism, but I'd also be willing to speculate that there are things innate in man that need no external influence to arise independantly - such as "do unto others as you wish done unto you", for example, which is found all over the world.

citizen k

Quote from: miglia on October 05, 2009, 01:02:23 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 05, 2009, 12:34:50 AM

The Greco-Bactrian kingdoms left behind by Alexander meshed hellenic thought with hinduism, but I'd also be willing to speculate that there are things innate in man that need no external influence to arise independantly - such as "do unto others as you wish done unto you", for example, which is found all over the world.

Notion of the Greek Monad and Hindu Brahman are both examples of the universal spiritual concept of a oneness that everything emanates from.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2009, 08:15:05 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 04, 2009, 06:50:04 PM
FIRE AND BRIMSTONE is the way to go.

Morons ranting about idiotic ideas does clearly appeal to you, being a Languish poster and all.

:Embarrass:

I came for the rants.

I miss the old preachers ranting about the catholics, the jews, the homos, etc. etc.

Now, even the baptists seem watered down a bit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

My hotel this weekend had a Gideon's Bible and a "Gideon's Buddhist book". I started reading the latter - kinda interesting, since I know nothing of Buddhism. I thought about stealing it so that I could finish reading it, but realized that would be wrong.

The Tao kicks Buddha's ass.
PDH!

Monoriu

I think we should apply the Wu Wei philosophy to the financial crisis  ;)