News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spirituality 2009

Started by Martinus, October 04, 2009, 04:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Monoriu on October 05, 2009, 11:04:44 AM
I think we should apply the Wu Wei philosophy to the financial crisis  ;)

Heh, I'd like to get all Han Fei Tzu on some of those investment types ...  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 05, 2009, 10:53:44 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 04, 2009, 10:22:05 PM
My hotel this weekend had a Gideon's Bible and a "Gideon's Buddhist book". I started reading the latter - kinda interesting, since I know nothing of Buddhism. I thought about stealing it so that I could finish reading it, but realized that would be wrong.

Not that I'm gonna convert or anything. It's just interesting to see the parallels and differences with Christianity.
The Tao kicks Buddha's ass.
The Tao that kicks Buddha's ass is not the Tao.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on October 05, 2009, 11:52:11 AM
My hotel this weekend had a Gideon's Bible and a "Gideon's Buddhist book". I started reading the latter - kinda interesting, since I know nothing of Buddhism. I thought about stealing it so that I could finish reading it, but realized that would be wrong.

Not that I'm gonna convert or anything. It's just interesting to see the parallels and differences with Christianity.

:lmfao:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on October 05, 2009, 11:52:11 AM

Touche. 
PDH!

DontSayBanana

No god, no church, no problem. :P
Experience bij!

DGuller

I'm an atheist and see no need for all that spirituality stuff, thank God.

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on October 04, 2009, 05:17:07 PM

What it suggests to me is the existance of a philosophy or activity which in effect directs a person's attention away from their own ego, and towards contemplation of something outside of themself.

This is my interpretation, as well.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on October 04, 2009, 06:39:43 PM

Hello there. :)

The Unitarian churches near us tend toward a fairly Christian view rather than an individualistic one. They're open to everyone, but still hold Christ to be the savior, etc. I'd rather stay out of the Biblical religions entirely, if I can manage that.

Caliga

:huh: That's strange.  I knew there were some conservative Unitarian congregations but would have expected them to be confined to parts of New England.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 05, 2009, 07:48:32 PM
The Unitarian churches near us tend toward a fairly Christian view rather than an individualistic one. They're open to everyone, but still hold Christ to be the savior, etc. I'd rather stay out of the Biblical religions entirely, if I can manage that.

The Savior?  And not a teacher or spiritual leader?  Wow Unitarian philosophy fail.

The whole point of Unitarianism is rejection of the Trinity...which is right and good since the Trinity is irrational and absurd.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on October 05, 2009, 07:50:03 PM
:huh: That's strange.  I knew there were some conservative Unitarian congregations but would have expected them to be confined to parts of New England.

We're just this side of the Bible Belt. I was amazed at just how Christian this entire area was/is. Honestly, it's a bit frightening.

Valmy

Quote from: Armyknife on October 05, 2009, 07:56:01 PM
Most of the people I've met who describe themselves as being spiritual or interested in such matters have invariably proven have three or more of these characteristics : - self-obssessed, narcissistic, shotaway and/or lacking any critical reasoning skills.  :cool:

Since the whole point of spirituality is to become aware of things outside yourself perhaps they are interested in it because they are trying to stop being so self-obsessed?

Also critical reasoning skills are pretty essential for exploring spiritual things since the amoung to bullshit out there can easily lead the foolish astray.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on October 05, 2009, 07:53:25 PM
The whole point of Unitarianism is rejection of the Trinity...which is right and good since the Trinity is irrational and absurd.
Wrong.  The whole point of Unitarianism is to bend with the wind, and then bend some more.  By standing for nothing, they become nothing.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Neil on October 05, 2009, 08:03:42 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 05, 2009, 07:53:25 PM
Wrong.  The whole point of Unitarianism is to bend with the wind, and then bend some more.  By standing for nothing, they become nothing.
So dating one is likely to lead to some interesting positions?
PDH!

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2009, 04:29:55 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 04, 2009, 04:22:18 PM
That sounds cool, actually. Women reclaiming their spirituality is what the organized religion has always feared - you are like a coven. :D

Except that none of us believe in "magic". That kind of puts a damper on the whole coven thing. :( Which is too bad. I'd like to be a witch.  :menace:

I know several witches. None of them are all that "magical" :p
:p