News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spirituality 2009

Started by Martinus, October 04, 2009, 04:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Ok, so this is a companion thread to Fitness 2009, only not about your body, but your soul.

Whether you are an atheist, an agnostic, a theist or something else altogether, are you happy where you are in terms of your soul (or lack thereof)?

I went through a very spiritual/soul searching period back in college and then again for a short while earlier this year, when I got a bit into yoga and "gay tantra" I've been reading about (it's not about gay sex, rather accepting your sexuality as part of the divine and whatnot). It really struck a chord with me, but then I kinda lost interest and have been lazy/unwilling to go beyond theory and just trying to live my life in a way that's spiritually fulfilling. I'm not made for a traditional religiousness, but I think I need some form of mysticism/spirituality in my life, I'm just too lazy to do it (other than when watching a good movie or reading a good book, I sometimes get this feeling of touching the transcendence - but every time it passes).

How about you?

P.S. Consider this a semi-drunk thread. I've seen a good movie with my good friend earlier today and now after he left I'm on my second glass of shiraz. :P

merithyn

Interesting that you should start this thread today. A friend of mine noted last week that when she's not nurturing her spirituality, it's a lot like not getting enough sleep. She becomes crabby, defensive, and downright annoyed at life. But since she doesn't really belong to any organized religion, it's become more difficult to nurture that aspect of her life. I find I have the same problem.

So, together we've decided to spend one night a month tapping into that part of our psyche. As soon as we decided to do that, other women mentioned that they, too, felt that same draw. So, tonight I'm having five other women over to the house to spend time together to meditate and discuss our spiritual needs.

It sounds horribly weird and odd, but in truth I seriously miss the commaraderie of the ritual of going to church on Sunday morning, hearing the mass said, singing the responses, taking communion, etc. What I don't miss is the bs that comes from following a specific religion. This sort of mini-mediation session will hopefully fill that.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Martinus

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2009, 04:20:25 PM
Interesting that you should start this thread today. A friend of mine noted last week that when she's not nurturing her spirituality, it's a lot like not getting enough sleep. She becomes crabby, defensive, and downright annoyed at life. But since she doesn't really belong to any organized religion, it's become more difficult to nurture that aspect of her life. I find I have the same problem.

So, together we've decided to spend one night a month tapping into that part of our psyche. As soon as we decided to do that, other women mentioned that they, too, felt that same draw. So, tonight I'm having five other women over to the house to spend time together to meditate and discuss our spiritual needs.

It sounds horribly weird and odd, but in truth I seriously miss the commaraderie of the ritual of going to church on Sunday morning, hearing the mass said, singing the responses, taking communion, etc. What I don't miss is the bs that comes from following a specific religion. This sort of mini-mediation session will hopefully fill that.

That sounds cool, actually. Women reclaiming their spirituality is what the organized religion has always feared - you are like a coven. :D

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on October 04, 2009, 04:22:18 PM
That sounds cool, actually. Women reclaiming their spirituality is what the organized religion has always feared - you are like a coven. :D

Except that none of us believe in "magic". That kind of puts a damper on the whole coven thing. :( Which is too bad. I'd like to be a witch.  :menace:

Eddie Teach

You work at a school don't you? So there's probably plenty of people who already think you are.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

According to some theorists, women do not really need anything to do magic - they have magic between their legs. It's us men who need to utilize wands and chalices to imitate that result. :P

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 04, 2009, 04:31:31 PM
You work at a school don't you? So there's probably plenty of people who already think you are.  :P

There is a teacher who comes in about once a week and asks me to move my broomstick so he can park his car. :blush:

Neil

Spirituality?  How ridiculous.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

fhdz

I am fine with my lack of religious belief, yes.
and the horse you rode in on

Eddie Teach

Quote from: fahdiz on October 04, 2009, 04:51:02 PM
I am fine with my lack of religious belief, yes.

You weren't 10 years ago. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Faeelin

Why worship a flag or god when we could worship the best of us: our will to be great?

Martinus

Quote from: Faeelin on October 04, 2009, 04:59:02 PM
Why worship a flag or god when we could worship the best of us: our will to be great?
It's fine - I meant it to be a thread about spirituality in the broadest possible sense - including lack thereof or a naturalistic type, like you say.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on October 04, 2009, 04:32:44 PM
According to some theorists, women do not really need anything to do magic - they have magic between their legs. It's us men who need to utilize wands and chalices to imitate that result. :P
some satanic rituals have men drinking menstrual 'flow' out of a chalice as a way of breaking from all established religious and societal mores.
PDH!

Malthus

To my mind "spirituality" is a bit of a misnomer. For one, it implies belief in a spirit, or spirits. Though for lack of a better word, I suppose we are stuck with it.

What it suggests to me is the existance of a philosophy or activity which in effect directs a person's attention away from their own ego, and towards contemplation of something outside of themself.

I am convinced that much of our personal unhappiness, once our basic needs and wants are taken care of, derives from an excessive inward focus.

Thing is, many supposedly 'spiritual' activities have the opposite effect, acting either as yet another social group (soon complete with hierarchy and rivalries with all that implies about egotism) or otherwise intended to boost a person's sense of exclusivity and self-esteem.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

I find that in yoga the hardest exercises for me are the ones that involve "ego eradication". Though it's mainly because they make my arms hurt like a motherfucker. :P