The Brits: Why They Can’t Be Trusted With Music

Started by jimmy olsen, October 03, 2009, 01:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Great rant :lol:

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/popvox/archive/2009/10/02/the-brits-why-they-can-t-be-trusted-with-music.aspx
QuoteThe Brits: Why They Can't Be Trusted With Music

by Simon Barnett

As a Brit who has spent over half his life in the United States, I am frequently cornered by any number of Americans who gushingly admire the so-called genius of the British music scene. "The Beatles man, the best! The Clash, yeah man! The Kinks, that really got me! Morrissey, a true poet man! U2, I love that stuff!"

Right now I suppose it's Coldplay, heirs to the most overrated band in history, U2. Aaah, Coldplay, the latest to regurgitate Sergeant Pepper's-like overproduction (this time even wearing the old military jacket), somehow duping Jay-Z into giving them urban street cred. And, be still my beating heart, that lovable frontman Chris Martin, who does the slightly nervous, tentative, unsure of himself, somewhat creatively tortured, English intellectual thing that is so utterly affected. (I concede it clearly works though, he did get Gwyneth Paltrow. Score one for the lads!)
I hear it all the time: the genius of the U.K. music scene, as if I had something to do with it, and more important, as if I am expected to agree. The truth is, as much as I hate to disappoint, I don't get it—not at all. In fact, I can't stand any of it. Brits are just plain bloody bad at music. Bad at creating it, and bad at choosing it.

What is it about Brits and music that holds Americans in such awe?  The accents (talking Brit, yet singing American)? The tiresomely predictable stylings of British vocalists who always choose the contrived off-note, when the correct one would so obviously do? Is it the fake angst? The skinny unhealthiness?  The teeth?  The woe-is-me struggles they always whine about, but don't really know, as they live in such a comfy nanny state?

Contrary to popular American fawning, I have good reason to believe that the British are quite possibly the least discerning music fans to be found on planet Earth. And I have the data and the proof to back it up. From the land that gave the world the highly dubious "genius" of Coldplay and U2, plus Depeche Mode, Pulp, The Verve, and the tantric school teacher, Mr. Sting (Noooo!), you also have the damning evidence of the consistently worrisome selection of nonsense that has topped the U.K. charts through the years—proof positive that the Brits are a tone deaf bunch, devoid of good taste.

The most recent oddity arrived last month, when 92 year-old Dame Vera Lynn (who was the Lady Gaga of the World War II set), topped the charts with the wartime classic, "We'll Meet Again." Do we have to? Back in March, those edgy hipsters Tom Jones and Robin Gibb teamed up with a couple of TV actors to take the No. 1 spot with a remake of the Dolly Parton song "Islands in the Stream," a tune that, like H1N1, we should all have been working together to eradicate.

The history of the British charts is full of such curiosities, stuff that worked its way to the number one slot that would never be found on the outer limits of the Billboard Top 100. To be fair and balanced here, Americans occasionally pull a wannabe idiotic choice, like "Who Let The Dogs Out," but it was even a bigger hit in the U.K.; it had the entire country woofing. What you have to admire about the Brits is the awe-inspiring consistency and workmanlike reliability of their poor musical taste. It leaves the rest of the world in the dust.

Following Eminem's first U.K. No. 1 with "Stan" in 2000, Mr. Mathers suffered the indignity of being toppled from that throne by none other than Bob the Builder with "Can We Fix It?" Then, as if the British public wanted the world to know it was no fluke, "Bob"—yes, the children's cartoon character—did it again with his follow up "Mambo #5" a year later.  And who can forget the Christmas 1980 number by St Winifred's School Choir with "No One Quite Like Grandma"? A track so moving that it could bring a tear to a glass eye.

Back in 1960 (right about the time Frank Sinatra was hitting his vocal stride), Lonnie Donegan wowed the U.K. with that timeless classic, "My Old Man's a Dustman (Ballad of a Refuse Disposal Officer)." Kojak, Telly Savalas, invaded the island in 1975, and irreparably damaged a once-great nation, when in droves, they put "If" on top of the charts. And three years prior to that, a bagpipe number—which was seared onto my then young eardrums—by The Pipes & Drums & Military Band of The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards held the No. 1 spot for 15 painful weeks with "Amazing Grace."

"Do the Bartman" by the Simpsons was the biggest-selling single for a couple of weeks in 1991. Those cultured, well-spoken Brits also bought enough copies of a Teletubbies track around the holidays in 1997 to make that Boxing Day ride home a particularly unpleasant one. October 2002's smash hit was "The Ketchup Song." And perhaps, while not in the entirely bad category, but more in the why? Elvis Presley had three No. 1's in a single month—in 2005.

Of course, being such arbiters of taste, such innovators and trend setters, those Brits were early to recognize the rap movement, so it placed Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby" at No. 1 in 1990. Manchester United, universally hailed as a pretty good soccer team, sang less well, but it was still good enough to become biggest-selling musical act for two weeks in 1994 with "Come On You Reds." In 1993, someone, or something, called Mr. Blobby sang "Mr. Blobby" to the top.

So, the next time you have the urge to tell a Brit how you love all their genius, cutting-edge, oh-so-influential music, check yourself, because it categorically ain't true, as history continues to attest.

Give me Maxwell any time.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

The Brits were pretty awesome in the 60s and 70s but they've definitely gone downhill since.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Alatriste

Vera Lynn, the Lady Gaga of the World War II set? Them's fighting words, lad.

Actually the only thing that prevents me ordering fava beans and a nice Chianti is that I concur with him on U2. Most overrated band in history is the least that can be said. But berating British talent for music because some lousy songs topped the charts in a period of several decades is so intellectually dishonest that we should invite Simon Barnett to Languish (I will keep the Chianti in the fridge, just in case he accepts).

Martinus

Gotta agree. I was gonna respond indignantly by listing a bunch of good modern British bands... but then I realised they are not British, just inspired heavily by the 1970s British music. :P

Josquius

The charts stopped having any validity long ago.
I fail to see much of a point here though. Novelties never get anywhere in the US?

Most good bands around right now are British.
Or heavily British influenced Americans.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on October 03, 2009, 01:50:46 PM
Most good bands around right now are British.
That's a no.
QuoteOr heavily British influenced Americans.
That's a yes.

Martinus

Quote from: Alatriste on October 03, 2009, 01:47:32 PM
I agree. Comparing some 92 y.o. nobody with the greatest sensation of the 2009's club scene is outrageous.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on October 03, 2009, 01:50:46 PM
The charts stopped having any validity long ago.
I fail to see much of a point here though. Novelties never get anywhere in the US?

I don't remember any novelties ever topping the chart in my lifetime. The closest I can think of is Weird Al's White and Nerdy, which only hit #9.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Alatriste

Quote from: Martinus on October 03, 2009, 01:55:47 PM
I agree. Comparing some 92 y.o. nobody with the greatest sensation of the 2009's club scene is outrageous.

Well, I'm more than willing to discuss this matter seventy years from now...  :P

If people still remembers Lady Gaga and her music in in 2079 like they remember 'The White Cliffs of Dover' and 'We'll meet again' then Lady Gaga will be similar to Vera Lynn. But somehow I doubt a whole generation of Americans, British or Polish will remember so fondly Lady Gaga.

Martinus

Quote from: Alatriste on October 03, 2009, 02:08:42 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 03, 2009, 01:55:47 PM

Well, I'm more than willing to discuss this matter seventy years from now...  :P

If people still remembers Lady Gaga and her music in in 2079 like they remember 'The White Cliffs of Dover' and 'We'll meet again' then Lady Gaga will be similar to Vera Lynn. But somehow I doubt a whole generation of Americans, British or Polish will remember so fondly Lady Gaga.

I have no idea who Vera Lynn is. :P

Eddie Teach

You don't remember how she used to say we would meet again, some sunny day?  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Vera, Vera, what has become of you?
Does anybody else in here feel the way I do?

Speaking of, that list of great British bands should include Pink Floyd. :bowler:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Lady Gaga is great. It took a world war to make Vera immortal. Wasn't worth it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Lady Gaga is smiling through all the way to the bank.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on October 03, 2009, 02:28:16 PM
Lady Gaga is smiling through all the way to the bank.

Ma ma ma ma ma ma ma mah bank account?