The Brits: Why They Can’t Be Trusted With Music

Started by jimmy olsen, October 03, 2009, 01:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

This guy's looking for criticism in all the wrong places. The British do not, by any means, have a monopoly on bad pop music- it's just that quality never figures into it when they run the popularity contests of what gets stuck in people's heads or gets played all over the club scene on Friday night because it's got a beat that makes it good dance music.

U2 is overrated, but I lump them into the same dinghy as Nirvana- they're famous and successful because at the end of the day, one can't help but hum that tune, even while thinking about how much one hates or is annoyed by it.

Also, in terms of musical prowess, there's a lot more technical talent to be showcased from that side of the pond. Clapton? Overrated because his songs are catchy. David Gilmour? Forever stuck in the shadow of Pink Floyd while teens play the riff from "Hey, You." (On that, I'm guilty of binging on playing every Floyd song I could learn) Through the 90s and 2000s, I haven't seen as much impressive work come out of Britain, but between the 60s and the 80s, British musicians added a lot to the field of musical techniques while popular American musicians just added a lot of songs to their back catalogs.
Experience bij!

Josephus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 03, 2009, 09:29:54 PMThrough the 90s and 2000s, I haven't seen as much impressive work come out of Britain, but between the 60s and the 80s, British musicians added a lot to the field of musical techniques while popular American musicians just added a lot of songs to their back catalogs.

That's an overgeneralization.

In fact this whole thread is.

Yeah, there's a lot of shit pop coming out of England, but the rest of the world is not immune to that.

Last I checked Britney Spears, The Backstreet Boys, fucking N'Sync were American.

Crap is universal. If you look hard enough there is some pretty good shit in all that crap, and I'll stop the scatalogical metaphors now. but there is good music coming out of Britain, as much as there is coming out of the USA or Canada or whatever. You may just have to look harder for it. It probably isn't coming from the Major Labels.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

I wouldn't have said Clapton's overrated, but apparently he is by Tim at least.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Josephus on October 03, 2009, 10:33:29 PM

Yeah, there's a lot of shit pop coming out of England, but the rest of the world is not immune to that.

Last I checked Britney Spears, The Backstreet Boys, fucking N'Sync were American.

Crap is universal. If you look hard enough there is some pretty good shit in all that crap, and I'll stop the scatalogical metaphors now. but there is good music coming out of Britain, as much as there is coming out of the USA or Canada or whatever. You may just have to look harder for it. It probably isn't coming from the Major Labels.

:blink: I'm pretty sure that was the first point I made in my post. And the above may be an overgeneralization, but it was meant as such. I just feel that Brits did more to actually expand the genres themselves, while Americans mostly played around with elements that were already there.
Experience bij!

Capetan Mihali

I agree with The Brane that Lady Gaga is great.  Otherwise, the article is bologna.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

HisMajestyBOB

The Brits never could really be trusted with music. The best British composer was a German, after all.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Cecil

Quote from: The Brain on October 04, 2009, 06:02:25 AM
Two faces of Lady Gaga's Poker Face:

Studio version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUxtQYFQeNY

Acoustic live version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwdXnlvUe3I

Eh? Chick got some serious game with that voice of hers.....who knew.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on October 03, 2009, 10:33:29 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 03, 2009, 09:29:54 PMThrough the 90s and 2000s, I haven't seen as much impressive work come out of Britain, but between the 60s and the 80s, British musicians added a lot to the field of musical techniques while popular American musicians just added a lot of songs to their back catalogs.

Two words: O. Asis.

So fuck you, modern UK music.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on October 04, 2009, 07:33:46 AM
This is one of the worst songs I ever heard.

Classic example of a good voice destroyed by studio overproduction. I know it's the "in" thing to do (even in some metal!), but I want to hear the vocals, not the synths and filters.
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 04, 2009, 10:09:05 AM
Classic example of a good voice destroyed by studio overproduction. I know it's the "in" thing to do (even in some metal!), but I want to hear the vocals, not the synths and filters.

Lady Gaga wouldn't make sense at all without at that. It fits perfectly with her demeanor, attire, and look.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on October 04, 2009, 12:16:07 PM
Lady Gaga wouldn't make sense at all without at that. It fits perfectly with her demeanor, attire, and look.

And at least two of three of those have nothing to do with audio recording; concerts, maybe, but songs can always be tailored for performance onstage.

Off-Topic, what the hell is up with her and masks? Everything I've seen her in has her starting with a mask, losing it partway, and looking really uncomfortable while not wearing it; in that video for Poker Face, she even starts using her hand as a half-mask.
Experience bij!