The Brits: Why They Can’t Be Trusted With Music

Started by jimmy olsen, October 03, 2009, 01:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 04, 2009, 12:24:20 PM
Off-Topic, what the hell is up with her and masks? Everything I've seen her in has her starting with a mask, losing it partway, and looking really uncomfortable while not wearing it; in that video for Poker Face, she even starts using her hand as a half-mask.

In a song explicitly about facial expressions and the lack thereof, is that so surprising?   :huh:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Josquius

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 04, 2009, 10:09:05 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 04, 2009, 07:33:46 AM
This is one of the worst songs I ever heard.

Classic example of a good voice destroyed by studio overproduction. I know it's the "in" thing to do (even in some metal!), but I want to hear the vocals, not the synths and filters.

Indeed, that  accoustic version was quite 'WTF'....I expected her to be another talentless drone.

And not having heard of her isn't such a big deal. Its only a few months back when she showed up at Glastonbury that I first knew who she was. I'd heard that song a lot before hand (fucking gay Swedes- in the club they just randomly start synchronised dancing to it :bleeding:) but never knew it to be by anyone.
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 04, 2009, 05:41:44 PM
In a song explicitly about facial expressions and the lack thereof, is that so surprising?   :huh:

But she uses it in everything, I'm thinking about her performance of "Paparazzi" at the VMAs this year- in fact, a quick scan of some lyrics sites shows that hiding one's own face or trying to read someone else's face is a pretty common theme in her lyrics.
Experience bij!

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 04, 2009, 05:06:50 AM
The Brits never could really be trusted with music. The best British composer was a German, after all.

Also, where is Rex Francorum? I was hoping for another Handel point.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

katmai

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 04, 2009, 10:30:18 PM

Also, where is Rex Francorum? I was hoping for another Handel point.

I don't thnk he made the cut over here.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Quote from: katmai on October 04, 2009, 10:41:21 PM
I don't thnk he made the cut over here.
He made a rare post yesterday.  Can't remember which thread.

Warspite

If the Brits haven't moved music on like they did in the 60s-80s, that's because no one has. Apart from endlessly self-referential indie pop, popular music these days seems to be stuck pillaging the 1980s.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Martinus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 04, 2009, 09:09:02 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 04, 2009, 05:41:44 PM
In a song explicitly about facial expressions and the lack thereof, is that so surprising?   :huh:

But she uses it in everything, I'm thinking about her performance of "Paparazzi" at the VMAs this year- in fact, a quick scan of some lyrics sites shows that hiding one's own face or trying to read someone else's face is a pretty common theme in her lyrics.

It's a central part of her style, though. It's like saying you would like to see Liberace without a piano and a rhinestone-studded cape.

Martinus

Quote from: Cecil on October 04, 2009, 08:12:59 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 04, 2009, 06:02:25 AM
Two faces of Lady Gaga's Poker Face:

Studio version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUxtQYFQeNY

Acoustic live version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwdXnlvUe3I

Eh? Chick got some serious game with that voice of hers.....who knew.

Not that surprising considering she started out as a club/cabaret singer. She reminds me of Liza, actually.

Martinus

Quote from: Warspite on October 05, 2009, 04:40:13 AM
If the Brits haven't moved music on like they did in the 60s-80s, that's because no one has. Apart from endlessly self-referential indie pop, popular music these days seems to be stuck pillaging the 1980s.

Yeah but that's kinda the point - most of the bands that do this with success today and are new (e.g. Scissor Sisters) are American, even though they sound British.

The Larch

To me, it feels strange using Coldplay as the posterboys of "latest big British band", since after them came, off the top of my head, Franz Ferdinand and Arctic Monkeys. Did the writer stop taking references 5 years ago?

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on October 05, 2009, 04:34:55 PM
Quote from: Cecil on October 04, 2009, 08:12:59 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 04, 2009, 06:02:25 AM
Two faces of Lady Gaga's Poker Face:

Studio version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUxtQYFQeNY

Acoustic live version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwdXnlvUe3I

Eh? Chick got some serious game with that voice of hers.....who knew.

Not that surprising considering she started out as a club/cabaret singer. She reminds me of Liza, actually.

What I read is that she started out as session singer and songwriter for hire for music studios, so I agree that there's probably more talent in her as a musician than the act she has. And I say that as someone who fucking hates overproduction and voice distortion in recordings.

Iormlund

Quote from: Warspite on October 05, 2009, 04:40:13 AM

Meh. Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, to mention just a couple of superb British groups that rocked the 90s. And that's just in electronic music.
The author is a moron.

Grey Fox

Kings of Leon is still #1 in the USA, atleast according to Ryan Seacrest(whatever) show.

Urg.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Iormlund on October 06, 2009, 01:46:10 AM
Meh. Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, to mention just a couple of superb British groups that rocked the 90s. And that's just in electronic music.
The author is a moron.

Electronic music sucks.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?