Probable foreign minister Westerwelle to press:"We're in Germany, speak German!"

Started by Syt, September 30, 2009, 11:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2009, 03:32:12 PM
I'm trying to think of this happening in the US.  If somebody posed a question to a US secretary of State in foreign language that this person actually knew I think the American would jump at the chance to showboat their language skills.

Doubt that, unless they really, really, really knew the foreign language.  Too much potential for screw-ups, like the jelly doughnut example.  We might even screw up the translation of "reset" in Russian <waits for DGuller to pop up>

Btw, does Hillary speak any languages besides English & Shrillfeminazi?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 30, 2009, 03:51:33 PM
:huh: I didn't see where the reporter asked for the response in English.  The minister was the one complaining about the question being in English, and also ignoring the question when it came from the interpreter.

QuoteThe head of the Free Democrats (FDP), who are poised to enter government in coalition with Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservatives, was giving his first news conference since Sunday's election when a BBC reporter asked whether he might be willing to respond to a question in English.

"Would you please be so kind, this is a press conference in Germany," Westerwelle replied in German.

Undeterred, the reporter then asked Westerwelle if he could respond in German to a question in English, only to be rebuffed again.
Jeez dude, it's like have the article.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2009, 03:54:49 PM
Jeez dude, it's like have the article.

Jeez dude, it's like I already edited in the applicable quote. :contract:

The first time I could understand: the whole on-the-spot thing.  The second response is what gets him into trouble; there's just no excuse for saying what he said- if there was an interpreter there, he could have just told him to go ahead and that somebody would interpret, and he'd still get to act annoyed at the stupid question.

Instead, he badgered a foreign national about speaking his country's language, and he snubbed an interpreted question. Reasonable, possibly, but really crappy behavior from a guy who's supposed to be in charge of the nation's diplomacy.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on September 30, 2009, 03:53:41 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2009, 03:32:12 PM
I'm trying to think of this happening in the US.  If somebody posed a question to a US secretary of State in foreign language that this person actually knew I think the American would jump at the chance to showboat their language skills.

Doubt that, unless they really, really, really knew the foreign language.  Too much potential for screw-ups, like the jelly doughnut example.  We might even screw up the translation of "reset" in Russian <waits for DGuller to pop up>

Btw, does Hillary speak any languages besides English & Shrillfeminazi?

To bad the Jelly Doughnut thing never happened.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

:huh: I didn't see where the reporter asked for the response in English.

QuoteThe head of the Free Democrats (FDP), who are poised to enter government in coalition with Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservatives, was giving his first news conference since Sunday's election when a BBC reporter asked whether he might be willing to respond to a question in English.
Jeez dude. :D

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2009, 04:07:21 PM
:huh: I didn't see where the reporter asked for the response in English.

Jeez dude. :D

You caught me on that one. I was a little too eager to argue down the fact that it was his response that was at issue and wasn't paying too close attention to what I was typing. :P
Experience bij!

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on September 30, 2009, 02:58:48 PM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 30, 2009, 12:03:34 PM
Yeah, we're not talking about some tribal language in the Congo here.  That a major news agency like the BBC would be asking questions in English in an important country like Germany is kinda embarrassing.

Yep.  And Guido was right to call the Limey out on it.

I may have found my new Fortuyn  :blush:

Why don't you love me, then? I'm European, I'm gay and I hate muslims, too. :P

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on September 30, 2009, 03:28:30 PM
Quote from: Zanza on September 30, 2009, 03:25:58 PM
I wonder why Westerwelle even wants to be foreign minister. His political interests so far were usually economic policy as far as I can tell. And foreign minister is not a particularly glamourous job in Germany anyway as Angie takes all the limelight at important events.

Does he have a shot at any higher position?

Well, he is the head of the junior coalition partner. That usually carries an important job, second-after-Angie kind of thing.

Martinus

I love the fact that when you type "Guido Westerwelle" into google search, it helpfully suggests that the third word of the search should be "schwul". :frusty:

Martinus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 30, 2009, 04:02:19 PM
Instead, he badgered a foreign national about speaking his country's language, and he snubbed an interpreted question. Reasonable, possibly, but really crappy behavior from a guy who's supposed to be in charge of the nation's diplomacy.

Yeah, like Ribbentrop was all that better.  :rolleyes:

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2009, 04:14:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2009, 04:05:39 PM
To bad the Jelly Doughnut thing never happened.
Faked like the moon landings?  :huh:

Jesus christ, Yi how much koolaid have you drunk?  The Jelly Doughnut thing is myth in the US. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2009, 05:14:40 PM
Jesus christ, Yi how much koolaid have you drunk?  The Jelly Doughnut thing is myth in the US.
Absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien