Probable foreign minister Westerwelle to press:"We're in Germany, speak German!"

Started by Syt, September 30, 2009, 11:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2009, 05:15:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2009, 05:14:40 PM
Jesus christ, Yi how much koolaid have you drunk?  The Jelly Doughnut thing is myth in the US.
Absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

The "jelly doughnut thing" that Raz is referring to is presumably the urban legend concerning John F Kennedy's "Ich Bin ein Berliner" speech.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Agelastus on September 30, 2009, 05:33:31 PM
The "jelly doughnut thing" that Raz is referring to is presumably the urban legend concerning John F Kennedy's "Ich Bin ein Berliner" speech.
That's what I figured.  I don't get the urban legend/myth part.

Rex Francorum

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 30, 2009, 01:18:20 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 30, 2009, 12:57:06 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 30, 2009, 12:48:24 PM
I imagine if I were giving a press conference and some tool started asking questions in Swedish I might look askance.  But he handled it very poorly.  Typical Teutonic behavior.  Next come the panzers.

If I spoke Swedish, I would not look askance, I would just answer his question. If I was fluent, I would do so in Swedish, otherwise in English and leave it to the translators.

What is so hard about that?
Eurocommies are sensitive to Anglophone's preponderance in global politics.

Canadians too since I see no big deal.
To rent

C.C.R.

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2009, 03:47:09 PM
The reporter was being a weenie.  Go ahead and ask the question directly in English, if Herr Homosexual wants to respond directly he can, in crappy English or in German, or he can wait for the translation.  It's not the reporter's place to specify which language he/she wants the response in.

I kind of interpreted the situation as the reporter was just fishing for a soundbite in English to score some kind of scoop & Guido didn't feel like playing along, so he weaseled out of an awkward situation awkwardly.  I've got no problem with that.  It's not like Guido put the reporter on the first train East or anything...

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martinus on September 30, 2009, 04:16:33 PM
I love the fact that when you type "Guido Westerwelle" into google search, it helpfully suggests that the third word of the search should be "schwul". :frusty:

The greens being derogatory, no doubt.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DontSayBanana

Jesus christ, Yi how much koolaid have you drunk?  The Jelly Doughnut thing is myth in the US. 

Raz, the "Ich bin ein Berliner" thing was 100% bona fide.  What happened is the usual rule for saying you're a native of a city in German is to add "-er" to the end: "Ich bin ein Rotenburger," etc.  The problem is that Berlin is an exception because of that specific "jelly donut" mixup; in the case of Berlin, he should have said, "Ich bin aus Berlin."  It's an urban myth that it was a national embarrassment- only to linguists and German language students; you can see pretty clearly in the video footage (how much koolaid have YOU been drinking, Raz?) that the crowd still loves the speech anyway.
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 30, 2009, 07:19:09 PM
Raz, the "Ich bin ein Berliner" thing was 100% bona fide.  What happened is the usual rule for saying you're a native of a city in German is to add "-er" to the end: "Ich bin ein Rotenburger," etc.  The problem is that Berlin is an exception because of that specific "jelly donut" mixup; in the case of Berlin, he should have said, "Ich bin aus Berlin."  It's an urban myth that it was a national embarrassment- only to linguists and German language students; you can see pretty clearly in the video footage (how much koolaid have YOU been drinking, Raz?) that the crowd still loves the speech anyway.
Is that right?  I thought the rule in German was no article ever.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2009, 08:12:37 PM
Is that right?  I thought the rule in German was no article ever.

Actually, German's pretty article-happy, since nouns are gendered- the article indicates which gender, but the difference in this case is a preposition; it would be between saying "I'm an American" (Ich bin Amerikanner) and "I'm from America" (Ich bin aus Amerika).

Der Vater = the father; masculine
Die Mutter = the mother; feminine
Das Fenster = the window; neuter
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 30, 2009, 08:28:55 PM
Actually, German's pretty article-happy, since nouns are gendered- the article indicates which gender, but the difference in this case is a preposition; it would be between saying "I'm an American" (Ich bin Amerikanner) and "I'm from America" (Ich bin aus Amerika).

Der Vater = the father; masculine
Die Mutter = the mother; feminine
Das Fenster = the window; neuter
Nononono.  I meant for places of origin.  Like I thought it was "Ich bin Deutschlander" and "Ich bin Frankfurter" rather than "Ich bin ein Deutschlander."

dps

Quote from: C.C.R. on September 30, 2009, 06:52:24 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2009, 03:47:09 PM
The reporter was being a weenie.  Go ahead and ask the question directly in English, if Herr Homosexual wants to respond directly he can, in crappy English or in German, or he can wait for the translation.  It's not the reporter's place to specify which language he/she wants the response in.

I kind of interpreted the situation as the reporter was just fishing for a soundbite in English to score some kind of scoop & Guido didn't feel like playing along, so he weaseled out of an awkward situation awkwardly.  I've got no problem with that.  It's not like Guido put the reporter on the first train East or anything...

Yeah, if a foreign-language reporter in the US asked Hillary a question in the reporter's language, I wouldn't have a problem with her asking him to speak English.  And I wouldn't have a problem with the Uzbek foreign minister wanting to be addressed in Uzbek while in Uzbekistan, either.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2009, 08:34:27 PM
Nononono.  I meant for places of origin.  Like I thought it was "Ich bin Deutschlander" and "Ich bin Frankfurter" rather than "Ich bin ein Deutschlander."

That's my understanding, from German 101 in college.  The instructor even used the 'jelly doughnut' reference as an example.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on September 30, 2009, 04:11:55 PM
Why don't you love me, then? I'm European, I'm gay and I hate muslims, too. :P

You abandoned true liberalism for leftism years ago.  And you have Americans more than muslims :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 30, 2009, 07:19:09 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ich_bin_ein_Berliner#Jelly_doughnut_urban_legend 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Zanza

Adding the "ein" does not make the sentence wrong. German has a lot of rules, but there is some flexibility. ;) Every German will have understood perfectly fine what Kennedy wanted to say.  The jelly donut thing is just an urban myth.