Probable foreign minister Westerwelle to press:"We're in Germany, speak German!"

Started by Syt, September 30, 2009, 11:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on September 30, 2009, 01:58:28 PM
So even if hardly anyone speaks your language, it is better for the government to be unable to communicate with the world, rather than simply speaking in a common language?
Well this is why we have journalists.  I'd expect a journalist from the world posted to Tashkent to be able to speak the lingo or they can't do their job.

QuoteBecause the actual problem here is that someone asked the poor German official to speak in English - a language he could, in fact, speak.
Which I think would be fine if he were giving a press conference at NATO or in London - on a visit.  Though I think a reporters misunderstanding the situation if they think they dictate the terms of a press conference.  But this is Berlin and the journalists there are German or there to cover Germany.  They should offer basic courtesy and speak German.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

The Jelly Doughnut thing reminds me of the recommendation I was given once: avoid saying
Ich bin ein Pariser :D
Even though I am from Paris

Would make such a cheesy icebreaker...

"Willst du einen Pariser für den nacht?  :lol:

Viking

This puts a new twist on the "if not for us you'd be speaking German" shtick emminating from the far side of the atlantic.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Zanza

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 01, 2009, 03:50:39 AM
The Jelly Doughnut thing reminds me of the recommendation I was given once: avoid saying
Ich bin ein Pariser :D
Even though I am from Paris

Would make such a cheesy icebreaker...

"Willst du einen Pariser für den nacht?  :lol:
If she answers that she doesn't want a Pariser, that could be good or bad. ;)

KRonn

Quote from: Zanza on October 01, 2009, 12:50:03 AM
Adding the "ein" does not make the sentence wrong. German has a lot of rules, but there is some flexibility. ;) Every German will have understood perfectly fine what Kennedy wanted to say.  The jelly donut thing is just an urban myth.
Well, that's a relief! It was a great speech by Kennedy.

derspiess

Adding the "ein" does not make the sentence wrong. German has a lot of rules, but there is some flexibility. ;) Every German will have understood perfectly fine what Kennedy wanted to say.  The jelly donut thing is just an urban myth.

I never took the story to mean that Germans didn't understand what he was trying to say-- obviously they would hear it & make an allowance for the fact that JFK wasn't a native Krautspeaker.  I thought it was just meant to be an amusing story about a double-entendre of sorts.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2009, 11:31:21 AM

I never took the story to mean that Germans didn't understand what he was trying to say-- obviously they would hear it & make an allowance for the fact that JFK wasn't a native Krautspeaker.  I thought it was just meant to be an amusing story about a double-entendre of sorts.
Yeah, that's what I had wondered also, if there was double meaning. But it was obvious that the crowd was pretty enthusiastic about the whole thing no matter what.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2009, 11:31:21 AM

When I visited Berlin I asked about this and it seems that it was even gramatically correct the way Kennedy said it.  Additionally it would never have even occured to a German living in Berlin that he meant anything else because they do not even call said jelly donuts 'Berliners' in Berlin itself.

Another humorous historical anecdote slain by facts. :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

So where did the jelly donut thing come from?  Rush Limbaugh's dad or something?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on October 01, 2009, 11:54:33 AM
So where did the jelly donut thing come from?  Rush Limbaugh's dad or something?

Probably some liberal commie.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

BuddhaRhubarb

I see old men & women on the bus like that all the time yelling at Chinese people(or anyone vaguely foreign) talking Chinese and having a private conversation... Speak English you're in Canada... If the Oldster gets really annoying I'll yell up at them and tell them to stop screaming retarded things that I can understand. And then just to piss them off further I go on a big Trudeau-esque diatribe about Multi-culturalism. :P
:p

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on October 01, 2009, 11:54:33 AM

I was curious so I clicked on Raz's link and it seems the myth was started in the early 80s sometime and clearly if he had actually made a funny mistake people would have been talking about it at the time.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Valmy on October 01, 2009, 12:07:18 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 01, 2009, 12:01:38 PM
Speak English you're in Canada

It would be funny if they then changed to speaking French.

If I wasn't so lazy I'd become bilingual just to do that.
:p

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on October 01, 2009, 11:43:07 AMAdditionally it would never have even occured to a German living in Berlin that he meant anything else because they do not even call said jelly donuts 'Berliners' in Berlin itself.

Indeed they call them "Pfannkuchen", or pancakes. Stupid Berliners. :rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.