Probable foreign minister Westerwelle to press:"We're in Germany, speak German!"

Started by Syt, September 30, 2009, 11:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on September 30, 2009, 03:13:17 PM
Because the actual problem here is that someone asked the poor German official to speak in English - a language he could, in fact, speak.

I guess I find it also justified when bilingual Texas officials insist their press conferences and debates are done in English even when asked questions in Spanish because, you know, this is America we speak English here so everybody in the room can understand.

I guess you find that douchebaggy?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2009, 03:16:58 PM
Because the actual problem here is that someone asked the poor German official to speak in English - a language he could, in fact, speak.

I guess I find it also justified when bilingual Texas officials insist their press conferences and debates are done in English even when asked questions in Spanish because, you know, this is America we speak English here so everybody in the room can understand.

I guess you find that douchebaggy?

If some reporter who did not speak English asked a question in Spanish which the person being asked understood, then yes, he is being a douchebag if he refuses to answer it just because it wasn't spoken in English.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on September 30, 2009, 03:24:10 PM
If some reporter who did not speak English asked a question in Spanish which the person being asked understood, then yes, he is being a douchebag if he refuses to answer it just because it wasn't spoken in English.

Fair enough.  I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

I wonder why Westerwelle even wants to be foreign minister. His political interests so far were usually economic policy as far as I can tell. And foreign minister is not a particularly glamourous job in Germany anyway as Angie takes all the limelight at important events.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2009, 03:07:05 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 30, 2009, 02:07:31 PM
So the language elitism is ok, as long as it is a "major" language that isn't English?

Um...what?  It would just be daft to send a reporter to an English speaking country that doesn't speak English.  Why did you make that caveat?

Faeelin brings up whether he can speak it very well. Maybe that is the problem?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: Zanza on September 30, 2009, 03:25:58 PM
I wonder why Westerwelle even wants to be foreign minister. His political interests so far were usually economic policy as far as I can tell. And foreign minister is not a particularly glamourous job in Germany anyway as Angie takes all the limelight at important events.

Does he have a shot at any higher position?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zanza on September 30, 2009, 03:25:58 PM

B/c Genscher is the only FDP guy that anyone outside of Germany can ever remember, just like Joshka is the only Green.  Being Economics Minister is a not a ticket to fame and recognition.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I'm trying to think of this happening in the US.  If somebody posed a question to a US secretary of State in foreign language that this person actually knew I think the American would jump at the chance to showboat their language skills.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

At first I was torn, and then I noticed he even deflected a question from that reporter when the reporter had it phrased through an interpreter.  Assuming he would be addressing a German-speaking forum and finding he has to respond in English without warning could be a viable reason to be upset (I speak German, but would be pretty upset about having to formally answer in it without warning), but refusing to acknowledge a question through an interpreter is pretty damn unacceptable in diplomatic terms.
Experience bij!

ulmont

Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2009, 03:32:12 PM
I'm trying to think of this happening in the US.  If somebody posed a question to a US secretary of State in foreign language that this person actually knew I think the American would jump at the chance to showboat their language skills.

I am a jelly doughnut!

The Brain

If somebody posed a question to a US secretary of State in foreign language that this person actually knew

:lol:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Alatriste

Assuming he possessed such skills... I think the key of this business is, the man's English is supposed to be awful, so broken and heavily accented that he feared he would become a laughingstock.

Admiral Yi

The reporter was being a weenie.  Go ahead and ask the question directly in English, if Herr Homosexual wants to respond directly he can, in crappy English or in German, or he can wait for the translation.  It's not the reporter's place to specify which language he/she wants the response in.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2009, 03:47:09 PM
The reporter was being a weenie.  Go ahead and ask the question directly in English, if Herr Homosexual wants to respond directly he can, in crappy English or in German, or he can wait for the translation.  It's not the reporter's place to specify which language he/she wants the response in.

:huh: I didn't see where the reporter asked for the response in English.  The minister was the one complaining about the question being in English, and also ignoring the question when it came from the interpreter.

QuoteUndeterred, the reporter then asked Westerwelle if he could respond in German to a question in English, only to be rebuffed again.

"In Great Britain people are expected to speak English and it is the same in Germany, people are expected to speak German," Westerwelle answered.

Herr Homosexual got annoyed about the question itself, and then brushed off the interpreter.
Experience bij!