Probable foreign minister Westerwelle to press:"We're in Germany, speak German!"

Started by Syt, September 30, 2009, 11:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2009, 11:52:19 AM
Right?  I mean I can understand lacking Estonian speakers or something but sending somebody to report on Germany who is unable to speak in German?

Yeah, we're not talking about some tribal language in the Congo here.  That a major news agency like the BBC would be asking questions in English in an important country like Germany is kinda embarrassing.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2009, 12:02:11 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 30, 2009, 11:58:56 AM
An article about the new U.S. ambassador to Germany (Philip D. Murphy, a former Goldman Sachs exec) says, "Unlike his predecessors, he speaks German."

Well that is different.  U.S. ambassadors are political cronies selected because of their financial support and value to the party, not because of any professional qualifications...except for truly shitty assignments no cronies want.

Valid point.

And compare ambassador to the Germany's vita: Head of Goldman Sachs Frankfurt, President of G-S Asia, three years as National Finance Chair of the Democratic National Committee

to the one of the ambassador to Austria: main business achievement is Executive Vice President of Alliant Foodservice Inc, together with services in lobbying groups and stuff like Chairman of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington. And fundraising during Obama's presidential campaign.

Though for austria this might be of note: "Following a long-standing tradition established by previous US ambassadors, he is also an ex officio member on the Board of Directors of the Salzburg Global Seminar."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Drakken

Josquius

Wow, sounds like a total dick. You occasionally get people like this in lesser European nations where they are very protective about their language (Netherlands, Scandis) but odd to see from Germany.
Agreed that its bad from the Beeb too in not sending a German speaker though.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

I imagine if I were giving a press conference and some tool started asking questions in Swedish I might look askance.  But he handled it very poorly.  Typical Teutonic behavior.  Next come the panzers.
PDH!

Warspite

Then again, if you were getting grilled by journos, the sensible option is to demand you are spoken to in your own language (unless there is a compelling reason not to). It's harder for a predatory journalist to twist your words or pitch an ambiguous question when it is in your native tongue.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Josquius

Quote from: Warspite on September 30, 2009, 12:48:36 PM
Then again, if you were getting grilled by journos, the sensible option is to demand you are spoken to in your own language (unless there is a compelling reason not to). It's harder for a predatory journalist to twist your words or pitch an ambiguous question when it is in your native tongue.
Or if the question is asked in foreign you can selectivly morph the question into one you would rather ask and if challenged on it put it down to translation issues. (you answer in your own language of course)
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 30, 2009, 12:48:24 PM
I imagine if I were giving a press conference and some tool started asking questions in Swedish I might look askance.  But he handled it very poorly.  Typical Teutonic behavior.  Next come the panzers.

If I spoke Swedish, I would not look askance, I would just answer his question. If I was fluent, I would do so in Swedish, otherwise in English and leave it to the translators.

What is so hard about that?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: Grallon on September 30, 2009, 12:00:20 PM
The one on the left isn't bad looking - is it him?
Nope, it's his partner. The minister is the one on the right.

You have to remember that politics is showbiz for ugly people.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on September 30, 2009, 11:43:12 AM
Still, what can you expect from a homosexual?  Intollerance is their lifeblood.

Is "intollerance" some sort of negative disposition towards tariffs and tolls?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on September 30, 2009, 11:49:57 AM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 30, 2009, 11:46:52 AM
The BBC (and other news agencies) should try getting reporters who actually speak the local language.

OTOH you generally do NOT want to hear an Anglo-Saxon butcher the language of Goethe and Hitler. They can't get German right.

Do you mean there's a foreign language they do not butcher? :huh:

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on September 30, 2009, 11:37:31 AM
What is German for giant douchebag?

I understand that Obama always fluently answers all questions posed to him in German by foreign journalists?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Berkut on September 30, 2009, 12:57:06 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 30, 2009, 12:48:24 PM

If I spoke Swedish, I would not look askance, I would just answer his question. If I was fluent, I would do so in Swedish, otherwise in English and leave it to the translators.

What is so hard about that?
Eurocommies are sensitive to Anglophone's preponderance in global politics.
PDH!