Baucus Releases Bill With No Republican Support

Started by Faeelin, September 16, 2009, 10:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2009, 09:26:01 AM
Quote from: Hansmeister on September 17, 2009, 06:33:48 AM
I answered your question in the very next post, douhebag.
Where, I didn't see it.

The next post was JRs.  But the one after that was Hans.

QuoteWhat article of the Constitution permits Congress to mandate that people buy insurance?

There you go Doughebag!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

This reminds me of that essay I had to grade as a History TA where a student wrote thinking that narrow constructionalism versus broad constructionalism was about literally building buildings in the United States instead of about Constitutional interpretation.  I was amused about Alexander Hamilton's strong desire to build buildings all over the country.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on September 17, 2009, 09:41:37 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2009, 09:26:01 AM
Quote from: Hansmeister on September 17, 2009, 06:33:48 AM
I answered your question in the very next post, douhebag.
Where, I didn't see it.

The next post was JRs.  But the one after that was Hans.

QuoteWhat article of the Constitution permits Congress to mandate that people buy insurance?

There you go Doughebag!
I thought that's what Hans was referring to, but then I was confused when he called it an answer to my question.

Admiral Yi

Donna Brazille and Ed Gilespie (who ever that is) were on CNN spinning the health care battle, and they mentioned the possibility of reconciliation, which would only require 51 votes in the Senate as opposed to 60.  Anyone know what they're talking about?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Hansmeister on September 16, 2009, 06:09:23 PM
What article of the Constitution permits Congress to mandate that people buy insurance?
How bout the taxing clause and the commerce clause.

That should do it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 17, 2009, 05:26:18 PM
What article of the Constitution permits Congress to mandate that people buy insurance?

That should do it.

Remember, Hans is a rabid legal positivist who doesn't believe in common law. :contract:
Experience bij!

MadImmortalMan

That should do it.

Good old Commerce Clause. What can't it do?  :D
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

That should do it.
Has the commerce clause been used to regulate individual non-commerical activity? 

I ask in curiosity, not anger.  I'm not a racist.

The Minsky Moment

Buying health insurance is commercial activity.   :huh:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2009, 06:05:52 PM
Has the commerce clause been used to regulate individual non-commerical activity? 

Yes.  The possession of purely intra-state produced marijuana has been banned based on the commerce clause, in Gonzales v. Raich.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: ulmont on September 17, 2009, 06:09:44 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2009, 06:05:52 PM

Yes.  The possession of purely intra-state produced marijuana has been banned based on the commerce clause, in Gonzales v. Raich.

You could get high and THEN cross state lines.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on September 16, 2009, 09:27:24 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 16, 2009, 05:29:25 PM
What's a non-retarded way to force people to buy health insurance?
The silence is deafening.  I guess today's talking points didn't cover that question.
Make insurance free, legislate the cost of procedures and pay for it via taxation.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on September 17, 2009, 06:21:11 PM
Make insurance free, legislate the cost of procedures and pay for it via taxation.
Ok, maybe I should've clarified my question.  What's a non-retarded way to force people living in a politically retarded country to buy health insurance? 

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2009, 05:20:31 PM
Donna Brazille and Ed Gilespie (who ever that is) were on CNN spinning the health care battle, and they mentioned the possibility of reconciliation, which would only require 51 votes in the Senate as opposed to 60.  Anyone know what they're talking about?
Yep.  The Senate has a process called budget reconciliation which only requires 51 votes to enter and requires 51 votes to pass a bill and, I believe, filibusters can't happen during reconciliation.  It was used for budgets and tax bills during Clinton's Presidency, for an education bill, ANWR and tax bills during Bush's.

The White House hasn't been trying to find a majority for healthcare, it has one.  It's been trying to find a super-majority to end a filibuster because everyone wanted to avoid using reconciliation if that was possible.  I believe a number of blue dogs have now said that they'd be willing to support budget reconciliation to pass a bill.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Yay I can't wait for them to lie and cheat in order to save the interests of the American public.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.