Baucus Releases Bill With No Republican Support

Started by Faeelin, September 16, 2009, 10:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on September 18, 2009, 07:01:32 AM
Quote from: Hansmeister on September 18, 2009, 03:45:39 AMWe already had this debate.  States can't force you to buy car insurance any more than they can force you to get a drivers license or buy a car.
Lame.  That's like saying "states can't force you to pay taxes on groceries since nobody forces you to eat".  Unless you live in Manhattan or some such city with ample transportation, or happen to be Raz, you *must* own a car.
There are people who don't, because they can't afford it.

Still, this does blaze an interesting trail for the US to follow.  Perhaps they can also make 'law insurance' mandatory, so that when you get sued or you commit a crime, there's always money to defend yourself and pay damages.  The Trial Lawyers that are such a powerful force in the Democratic Party would love that.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: Neil on September 17, 2009, 06:21:11 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 16, 2009, 09:27:24 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 16, 2009, 05:29:25 PM
What's a non-retarded way to force people to buy health insurance?
The silence is deafening.  I guess today's talking points didn't cover that question.
Make insurance free, legislate the cost of procedures and pay for it via taxation.

That doesn't sound like a good idea for me--what happens to those of us with insurance and employers that give us the choice of different plans that cost different amounts?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Caliga on September 18, 2009, 07:26:43 AM
:mellow: You've obviously not lived in any part of America that might be considered rural.

You can choose where to live.  The town I grew up in would be difficult without a car.

alfred russel

Quote from: Hansmeister on September 18, 2009, 03:45:39 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 18, 2009, 03:39:51 AM
Car insurance.

We already had this debate.  States can't force you to buy car insurance any more than they can force you to get a drivers license or buy a car.

When I pay taxes, I'm forced to pay for all sorts of things.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 18, 2009, 07:37:20 AMYou can choose where to live.  The town I grew up in would be difficult without a car.
Not if you don't have a car that would permit you to move there. ;)

Look, all I'm trying to do is dispute the notion that states don't force people to buy auto insurance.  For all intents and purposes, they do.  I'm not even saying I think it's good that they do that.  I'm undecided on that item because of how your lack of insurance can screw another driver.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on September 18, 2009, 07:29:24 AM
I've had legal insurance before. ^_^
Everyone should.  It's reprehensible that the Democrats would attempt to line the pockets of insurers before their staunchest supporters, the lawyers.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on September 18, 2009, 07:41:33 AM
I'm undecided on that item because of how your lack of insurance can screw another driver.
Your lack of law insurance can screw other litigants.

Not having law insurance should be a felony.