Baucus Releases Bill With No Republican Support

Started by Faeelin, September 16, 2009, 10:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2009, 07:57:41 PM
If you want to drive a car you have to have insurance. Of course, one can simply choose not to own a car if you want, but that's not really a choice for a vast majority of adults.
Don't be stupid.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

For those that are opposed to a mandate, can you explain how you want to achieve universal health care coverage? (assuming you care about that)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on September 16, 2009, 08:25:37 PM
For those that are opposed to a mandate, can you explain how you want to achieve universal health care coverage? (assuming you care about that)
I'm not opposed to a mandate, but you could achieve universal coverage by giving it away for free.

Fate

Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2009, 08:06:43 PM
What's the point of a compromise bill when only one side will vote for it anyway?
Presumably this compromise will get the DINOs plus one moderate Republicans to vote for cloture. They don't need to vote for the actual bill.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2009, 08:36:47 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 16, 2009, 08:25:37 PM
I'm not opposed to a mandate, but you could achieve universal coverage by giving it away for free.

Two problems with that:
1) Americans with private insurance lose it, and
2) you still force americans to pay for health care, only it is no longer linked to their own care and is instead through taxes.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on September 16, 2009, 08:46:43 PM
Two problems with that:
1) Americans with private insurance lose it, and
2) you still force americans to pay for health care, only it is no longer linked to their own care and is instead through taxes.
Never mind.  I thought you were asking how it would be possible to achieve without mandates, not how do you want to achieve it without mandates.

DGuller

Quote from: DGuller on September 16, 2009, 05:29:25 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on September 16, 2009, 05:23:31 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on September 16, 2009, 10:16:55 AM
Incidentally, does anybody understand the whole "fining Americans who don't have health care" bit?

It's a retarded way to force people to buy health insurance, and blatanly unconstitutional to boot.  It doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of passing into law.
What's a non-retarded way to force people to buy health insurance?
The silence is deafening.  I guess today's talking points didn't cover that question.

Strix

Quote from: DGuller on September 16, 2009, 09:27:24 PM
Incidentally, does anybody understand the whole "fining Americans who don't have health care" bit?

It's a retarded way to force people to buy health insurance, and blatanly unconstitutional to boot.  It doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of passing into law.
The silence is deafening.  I guess today's talking points didn't cover that question.

Of course the silence is deafening. If someone knew a non-retarded way to force people to buy health insurance than it wouldn't be an issue.  :rolleyes:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Hansmeister

Quote from: DGuller on September 16, 2009, 09:27:24 PM

I answered your question in the very next post, douhebag.

Faeelin

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on September 17, 2009, 08:06:32 AM
Oh, so you also believe that social security is unconstitutional. Alrighty then.

Hans is still mad about the unconstitutionality of the Louisiana Purchase.  Nowhere does it say the Federal Government can buy land from France in the whole document.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DisturbedPervert

Hopefully there will be super cheap bullshit options (first aid kit and bus ticket to Tijuana) for people who don't want insurance.

Faeelin

Incidentally, here's a list of Baucus's top ten donors, which is one reason I am skeptical about this bill:

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on September 17, 2009, 08:56:41 AM
Incidentally, here's a list of Baucus's top ten donors, which is one reason I am skeptical about this bil:

See?  The insurance and pharmaceuticals companies know his plan is the best for the health of the American people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller