Baucus Releases Bill With No Republican Support

Started by Faeelin, September 16, 2009, 10:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2009, 05:20:31 PM
Donna Brazille and Ed Gilespie (who ever that is) were on CNN spinning the health care battle, and they mentioned the possibility of reconciliation, which would only require 51 votes in the Senate as opposed to 60.  Anyone know what they're talking about?

Ed Gilespie was the former head of the RNC.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Hansmeister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2009, 06:05:52 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 17, 2009, 05:26:18 PM
How bout the taxing clause and the commerce clause.

That should do it.
Has the commerce clause been used to regulate individual non-commerical activity? 

I ask in curiosity, not anger.  I'm not a racist.
Yes, yes you are.

Hansmeister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 17, 2009, 06:08:03 PM
Buying health insurance is commercial activity.   :huh:
So the commerce clause can now be used to force people to buy stuff against their will?  Wow, that certainly is a liberal interpretation of the law.

Eddie Teach

Why should states have any more power to force people to buy things than the national government?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Hansmeister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 18, 2009, 03:35:12 AM
Why should states have any more power to force people to buy things than the national government?
They don't.

Eddie Teach

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 18, 2009, 03:39:51 AM
Car insurance.

We already had this debate.  States can't force you to buy car insurance any more than they can force you to get a drivers license or buy a car.

Eddie Teach

The ability to drive is pretty much a necessity for many people so the state is in effect mandating a license and insurance.

Jaron

Just make it so if you want to work in the US, you have to buy health insurance. No one HAS to work, thus it is not mandatory.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

Quote from: Hansmeister on September 18, 2009, 03:45:39 AMWe already had this debate.  States can't force you to buy car insurance any more than they can force you to get a drivers license or buy a car.
Lame.  That's like saying "states can't force you to pay taxes on groceries since nobody forces you to eat".  Unless you live in Manhattan or some such city with ample transportation, or happen to be Raz, you *must* own a car.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DisturbedPervert

Plenty of places you don't have to own a car.  You can choose a lifestyle that does not involve them.  Even if not wanting to own one seems un American.

What other forms of insurance should the government be able to force you to buy?

Caliga

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 18, 2009, 07:24:30 AM
Plenty of places you don't have to own a car.  You can choose a lifestyle that does not involve them.  Even if not wanting to own one seems un American.
:mellow: You've obviously not lived in any part of America that might be considered rural.  Either that or you think choosing to live as a shut-in is a desirable lifestyle choice.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points