Baucus Releases Bill With No Republican Support

Started by Faeelin, September 16, 2009, 10:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 16, 2009, 10:56:58 AM
Though I think the public option is really unimportant in comparison to the amount of attention it's attracted. 

Actually reading this bill makes me think otherwise.
Single payer is a very clean solution.  The government pays for a base level of care; the free market takes care of the rest.  There is a budgetary cost of course and political decisions have to be made about the base level of services provided.  But it gets you universal coverage without having to fiddle around with mandates, adverse selection, fines, tax credits, "health care cooperatives," and all these fiddly bureaucratic rules that in practice are going to bog down this plan in an inpenetrable morass of regulations.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2009, 10:27:37 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on September 16, 2009, 10:16:55 AM
Incidentally, does anybody understand the whole "fining Americans who don't have health care" bit?

It sounds like a misguided attempt to transfer similar idea about car insurance to health insurance to me.  It sounds horrible but it depends on the details.
How is this misguided?  What is criminally misguided is prohibiting denial of coverage based on pre-existing conditions, without mandating that everyone have health insurance.  That would lead to people buying insurance right before needing major expenses, and saving on premiums before that.  Incidentally, the comparison with car insurance is also misguided, although it's easy to make a misleading connection.  The reason for mandates are very different for those two types of insurance.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 16, 2009, 01:31:16 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 16, 2009, 10:56:58 AM
Though I think the public option is really unimportant in comparison to the amount of attention it's attracted. 

Actually reading this bill makes me think otherwise.
Single payer is a very clean solution.  The government pays for a base level of care; the free market takes care of the rest.  There is a budgetary cost of course and political decisions have to be made about the base level of services provided.  But it gets you universal coverage without having to fiddle around with mandates, adverse selection, fines, tax credits, "health care cooperatives," and all these fiddly bureaucratic rules that in practice are going to bog down this plan in an inpenetrable morass of regulations.

If the public option was something akin to the VA, I would agreeā€”but I don't think that was in the cards. For example, republicans put in an amendment that all congressmen be on the plan. If the public option is something along the lines of medicare, I'm worried about breaking the budget.

A mandate can be the cleaner option.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DontSayBanana

There's a simple, basic flaw in mandated coverage with no public option- with the car comparison, one can elect not to drive to avoid the hike in cost of living. The vast majority of uninsured remain so simply because they cannot afford to purchase coverage- fining people another thousand dollars for not being able to pay an unavoidable cost would only exacerbate the problem.
Experience bij!

Sheilbh

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 16, 2009, 01:56:52 PM
There's a simple, basic flaw in mandated coverage with no public option- with the car comparison, one can elect not to drive to avoid the hike in cost of living. The vast majority of uninsured remain so simply because they cannot afford to purchase coverage- fining people another thousand dollars for not being able to pay an unavoidable cost would only exacerbate the problem.
I believe it's not a fine but a sliding scale tax for people a certain percentage above the poverty line who don't have insurance, while those from the poverty line to very high above it receive a sliding scale of subsidy if they don't have employer-provided insurance to buy insurance.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

How does the existence of a public option affect this one way or the other?

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2009, 03:25:30 PM
How does the existence of a public option affect this one way or the other?
Because the public option costs nothing.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

One counter-argument is that the mandate removes the biggest reason for individual health insurance being unaffordable.

Eddie Teach

It may become affordable to some, but there will still be many people who can't pay the lesser rates either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 16, 2009, 05:09:10 PM
It may become affordable to some, but there will still be many people who can't pay the lesser rates either.

Yeah, that. Poverty level shouldn't be confused with a threshold for financial independence. The federal government defines the poverty level for an individual in 2009 as $10,830 (it increases by $3,740 for each additional person in the household). In the "Minsky Moment" thread, it mentions "Ponzi borrowers," who I would probably classify as those falling between the poverty line and the real cost of living for their area; all those people would be susceptible to the penalties if poverty line is the indicator being used.
Experience bij!

Hansmeister

Incidentally, does anybody understand the whole "fining Americans who don't have health care" bit?

It's a retarded way to force people to buy health insurance, and blatanly unconstitutional to boot.  It doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of passing into law.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Hansmeister on September 16, 2009, 05:23:31 PM
It's a retarded way to force people to buy health insurance, and blatanly unconstitutional to boot.  It doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of passing into law.
How's it unconstitutional?

DGuller

Quote from: Hansmeister on September 16, 2009, 05:23:31 PM

What's a non-retarded way to force people to buy health insurance?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 16, 2009, 05:19:11 PM
In the "Minsky Moment" thread, it mentions "Ponzi borrowers,"

Different concept.  Minsky defined "ponzi finance" as financing in which the interest or carrying cost exceeds the current income available to make payments.  It is a concept that relates primarily to business financing, although it can be applied to individuals.  PIK instruments would be a real world example of Minskyite "ponzi finance".  When Ponzi finance begins to come prevelant, that is a sign that the boom has reached unsustainability and the system becomes unstable and prone to collpase.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson