Baucus Releases Bill With No Republican Support

Started by Faeelin, September 16, 2009, 10:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hansmeister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2009, 05:24:42 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on September 16, 2009, 05:23:31 PM
It's a retarded way to force people to buy health insurance, and blatanly unconstitutional to boot.  It doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of passing into law.
How's it unconstitutional?

What article of the Constitution permits Congress to mandate that people buy insurance?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Hansmeister on September 16, 2009, 06:09:23 PM
It's a retarded way to force people to buy health insurance, and blatanly unconstitutional to boot.  It doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of passing into law.

What article of the Constitution permits Congress to mandate that people buy insurance?
Don't many states mandate that people buy car insurance? If that hasn't been struck down, why would this be?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2009, 06:24:08 PM
Don't many states mandate that people buy car insurance? If that hasn't been struck down, why would this be?

Those are state laws?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Hansmeister

No State has a mandate that you buy car insurance.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Faeelin

I guess you also believe social security is unconstitutional?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

I'm hearing some of the same old negativities about this latest "newest" bill.   :(

Neil

Tim doesn't understand.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Hansmeister

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2009, 07:02:26 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on September 16, 2009, 07:01:59 PM
social security is unconstitutional?

If only...:weep:

I know.  Pre-FDR it would've been considered unconstitutional, but the health care mandate goes far beyond that in violating the constitution.

They'd be on sounder footing if they simply advocated a large tax increase and then offering tax credits to buy health insurance.

DGuller

Quote from: KRonn on September 16, 2009, 07:36:55 PM
I'm hearing some of the same old negativities about this latest "newest" bill.   :(
I'm sure you'd hear them even if Baucus played a prank and actually released the full text of War and Peace.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Hansmeister on September 16, 2009, 06:35:00 PM

No State has a mandate that you buy car insurance.

If you want to drive a car you have to have insurance. Of course, one can simply choose not to own a car if you want, but that's not really a choice for a vast majority of adults.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 16, 2009, 05:56:32 PM
Different concept.  Minsky defined "ponzi finance" as financing in which the interest or carrying cost exceeds the current income available to make payments.  It is a concept that relates primarily to business financing, although it can be applied to individuals.  PIK instruments would be a real world example of Minskyite "ponzi finance".  When Ponzi finance begins to come prevelant, that is a sign that the boom has reached unsustainability and the system becomes unstable and prone to collpase.

That was understood. I was stretching to illustrate those that are living beyond their means, even though they look like they should be able to subsist on paper.
Experience bij!

Hansmeister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2009, 07:57:41 PM
If you want to drive a car you have to have insurance. Of course, one can simply choose not to own a car if you want, but that's not really a choice for a vast majority of adults.

Of course it is a choice that many do indeed make.  Just because most people chose to drive doesn't mean that you have no choice.

Razgovory

What's the point of a compromise bill when only one side will vote for it anyway?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017