Does this look like a woman or a boy in drag?

Started by Viking, September 08, 2009, 09:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does this look like a woman or a boy in drag?

Woman
3 (8.8%)
Boy in drag
31 (91.2%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 08, 2009, 10:44:08 AM
Not always, often it just makes them look like men in women's clothes(Rodman or Giuliani for example)  :lol: But there's far more than 2 different sets of aesthetic sensibilities and not all can be neatly classified as male or female.

Thanks Buddha :P

As I said clearly it helps them get something or they wouldn't do it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 08, 2009, 10:44:08 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2009, 10:28:28 AM
However, dressing up like a woman does not make one look androgynous it makes one look like a female.

Not always, often it just makes them look like men in women's clothes(Rodman or Giuliani for example)  :lol: But there's far more than 2 different sets of aesthetic sensibilities and not all can be neatly classified as male or female.

I don't think it is the question of "it makes them look like" but rather that people often confuse these things.

Transgendered people. cross-dressers, drag queens and androgyns are completely different things, and we lump them together only because that's how they were traditionally perceived. For the record, the same really goes for lumping all GLBT folk together - the "T" is really a different animal from the "GLB".

garbon

The G is a bit different from L. The B's should really just be split between G and L.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

My perception at least is that most guys who self-identify as 'gay' prefer guys who appear more typically masculine.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 08, 2009, 05:28:43 PM
The G is a bit different from L. The B's should really just be split between G and L.

Still, each of the G, L and B deals with sexuality/sexual attraction, whereas the T deals with the gender identity which is something else.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on September 08, 2009, 05:29:15 PM
My perception at least is that most guys who self-identify as 'gay' prefer guys who appear more typically masculine.

Indeed. That is why gender scholars came up with the "MSM" concept, which captures more than just gay men (for example, homosexual and bisexual men from cultures that do not have the concept of "gay" like the Arabic/Muslim ones; or men in the West, usually from a sub-culture with a strong machismo element, such as Latino, who do not want to identify as gay). It appears that for such men, homosexual desire often manifests itself by an attraction to men with more feminine/androgynous qualities.

Martinus

On a side note, I read recently something about the fetal development of humans that could, imo, shed some light on how sexuality appears.

Essentially, it appears that the fetus starts as "female" and only then either stays as a female or develops/mutates into male. It's not such a stretch of imagination from that point to consider that the process of transformation from a female to male can be partial, thus creating a continuum of a straight woman -> a lesbian -> a gay man -> a straight man.

derspiess

"Glamour girl"... :lol:

S/he does look like something out of the WNBA, for whatever that's worth.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

What was the upshot on this story?  Is he/she a tranny, or a genetic freak, or what?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on September 08, 2009, 05:31:46 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 08, 2009, 05:28:43 PM

Still, each of the G, L and B deals with sexuality/sexual attraction, whereas the T deals with the gender identity which is something else.

The Ts get lumped in because they're usually attracted to people of the same sex they actually are. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 08, 2009, 07:32:12 PM
The Ts get lumped in because they're usually attracted to people of the same sex they actually are. :contract:

Really?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2009, 09:46:18 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 08, 2009, 07:32:12 PM

Really?

I'm going to assume you're not being sarcastic. I did see a m-to-f lesbian on a talk show once, but they seem to be the exception.

If you're asking if I think gender is a matter of chromosomes and not a psychological state, then yes, really. :mellow:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Given this conversation I really recommend Paris is Burning, if any of you get the chance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Is_Burning_%28film%29
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

I saw a link Foxnews.com had to some magazine's site on the "10 Hottest Women in Sports" with both the Williams sisters in there.  They obviously were not looking around too hard.