News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

WW2 Start Date

Started by Martinus, September 01, 2009, 09:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When did WW2 truly begin?

September 1, 1939 (Germany invades Poland)
29 (69%)
September 3, 1939 (Britain and France declare war on Germany)
4 (9.5%)
September 17, 1939 (Russia invades Poland)
0 (0%)
May 10, 1940 (Germany invades France)
0 (0%)
June 22, 1941 (Germany invades Russia)
0 (0%)
December 7, 1941 (Pearl Harbor)
1 (2.4%)
Other (Write-in)
8 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 40

derspiess

Quote from: Jaron on September 01, 2009, 01:48:21 PM
Is there something about me that makes me less American than you?

Yes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on September 01, 2009, 01:48:21 PM
And WHY exactly should I count that instead of Dec 7? Is there something about me that makes me less American than you?

Have you ever waved a Mexican flag in a parade?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Seit 8 November 1923 wird zuruckgeschossen.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Also Oex, I just remembered seeing a WWII memorial in The Hague that displays 1940 - 1945.  Does that bother you as well?  :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 01, 2009, 03:30:31 PM
Also Oex, I just remembered seeing a WWII memorial in The Hague that displays 1940 - 1945.  Does that bother you as well?  :D

Well all of the Netherlands is pretty strange to a foreign eye anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2009, 03:32:33 PM
Well all of the Netherlands is pretty strange to a foreign eye anyway.

I thought it was quite nice.  And clean.

Josquius

1940-1945 isn't such a bad date unless you're Polish. There was the phoney war in '39 afterall.
Still wrong of course but not massivly so.
██████
██████
██████

Oexmelin

Quote from: derspiess on September 01, 2009, 03:30:31 PM

I did not say there were no reasons for it, I said it was strange to see. I haven't seen that Dutch memorial. Perhaps in another setting and not in a memorial that reads like a tribute to Imperial Military Victories it works. It's also because the whole «War against the Nazis/Tyrany/Barbarians» gets a lot of mileage in the US, and that makes the 1941 date incongruous.
Que le grand cric me croque !

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on September 01, 2009, 03:44:11 PM
1940-1945 isn't such a bad date unless you're Polish. There was the phoney war in '39 afterall.
Still wrong of course but not massivly so.

Don't discount the glorious Saar Offensive in 1939 :P

Iormlund

Quote from: The Larch on September 01, 2009, 01:06:13 PM
I voted September the 1st, as it's the canonical date after all, but if I wanted to be nitpicky I would have chosen the 16th of July, 1936.

You mean July 18th. Which is indeed the right choice.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 01, 2009, 03:54:14 PM
Don't discount the glorious Saar Offensive in 1939 :P

Gamelin had to make the politicians happy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 01, 2009, 03:50:07 PM
I did not say there were no reasons for it, I said it was strange to see. I haven't seen that Dutch memorial. Perhaps in another setting and not in a memorial that reads like a tribute to Imperial Military Victories it works. It's also because the whole «War against the Nazis/Tyrany/Barbarians» gets a lot of mileage in the US, and that makes the 1941 date incongruous.

You said it was "horribly" strange.  But it sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder about the design more than anything, which is a different issue.

Since the US was not at war until 1941 it makes complete sense for us to list 1941 on our National World War II Memorial.  If we named it the European World War II Memorial then you'd have a legitimate gripe.

The Larch

Quote from: Iormlund on September 01, 2009, 03:54:46 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 01, 2009, 01:06:13 PM
I voted September the 1st, as it's the canonical date after all, but if I wanted to be nitpicky I would have chosen the 16th of July, 1936.

You mean July 18th. Which is indeed the right choice.

D'oh! Typo!

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 01, 2009, 10:26:09 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 01, 2009, 10:12:31 AM
Quote from: ulmont on September 01, 2009, 10:05:27 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 01, 2009, 10:01:57 AM
Compared to the battle for the fate of the entire world that was the European war yes.

Not sure how you decide the "fate of the entire world" while ignoring the war going on in fully half of it.
Even today the European region is more significant than Asia.

Don't think so.  measured on a PPP basis, Asia is way ahead in GDP.  Measured on a currency basis, Asia is still behind but of course it is growing at a much faster rate.

QuoteBack then the gap was huge.

Irrelevant.  Back then Asia has enormous numbers of human beings and large quantities of valuable resources.  That made it significant.

A key consequence of WW2 was that it accelerated the break-up of European domination of Asia, an event of world-historical significance in the Hegelian sense.  In that context, the latest round in the long-standing European civil war - although intensely and bitterly fought - was arguably of less long-term significance.
Which is all well and good, but it doesn't have anything to do with a 1937 start date.

The Japanese attack on the Allies was significant.  The start of yet another round of war between Japan and the assorted warlords of China was much less so.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.