News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

WW2 Start Date

Started by Martinus, September 01, 2009, 09:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When did WW2 truly begin?

September 1, 1939 (Germany invades Poland)
29 (69%)
September 3, 1939 (Britain and France declare war on Germany)
4 (9.5%)
September 17, 1939 (Russia invades Poland)
0 (0%)
May 10, 1940 (Germany invades France)
0 (0%)
June 22, 1941 (Germany invades Russia)
0 (0%)
December 7, 1941 (Pearl Harbor)
1 (2.4%)
Other (Write-in)
8 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Siege

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 01, 2009, 10:05:47 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 01, 2009, 10:01:57 AM
Quote from: ulmont on September 01, 2009, 09:57:06 AM
10-20 million Chinese dead, 3 million Japanese dead, the only use of nuclear weapons in wartime, and marine units with over 100% casualties is a sideshow?

Compared to the battle for the fate of the entire world that was the European war yes.

Pffft. We'd have just beaten the Nazis in the Cold War instead.

Every Alt-History book have read says the German would have won the Cold War.
The argument is that germany was such an aggressive monster that had to be stopped at the begining, if it grew up and took momentum (resourses to back their brain power), the world would have been doomed.

There is an israeli novellette I read when I was a kid, about an american jew that builts a time machine in a secret fallout bunker, to go back in time and convince Roosvelt to join the war, because in the future America had lost WW3 with all the major cities nuked and the country divided between Germany and Japan. The story was impressive to my young mind because it presented our reality as a product of that time travel.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Siege on September 01, 2009, 07:08:39 PM
The argument is that germany was such an aggressive monster that had to be stopped at the begining, if it grew up and took momentum (resourses to back their brain power), the world would have been doomed.

Alt-history. :bleeding:

Apples to apples, we only won the Cold War because the Soviets went broke first. The Nazi war machine was so innovation-happy that it was burning through funds and had huge compatibility problems with equipment; they would have gone broke even sooner.
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

The US had greater demographic strength than Germany proper, and they didn't exactly inspire love among conquered populations.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 01, 2009, 10:25:16 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2009, 10:22:52 AM
You euro-centric guys are smoking crack.  The Japanese were the 2nd most powerful member of the Axis.

:yes:

And closer to Germany than Italy on the scale. Japan had beaten Russia 30 years earlier, something the Nazis failed to do.

Not fair. At Tsushima the russian battleships were multiple size gun design, while the japs had 4 big-guns-only battleships. Plus the japanese crossed the T on the ruskies. Not fair.

Oh wait, everything is fair in war...

Siege

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 01, 2009, 07:16:19 PM

The US had greater demographic strength than Germany proper, and they didn't exactly inspire love among conquered populations.

You don't get the point.

There wouldn't have been a Cold War with Nazi Germany.
It would have gone Hot in a second.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on September 01, 2009, 07:25:46 PM
You don't get the point.

For Germany to have even the slightest chance of getting to that point, America needs to have sat the European war out.

Germany would have been utterly worn out from conquering the Soviets, and America would have been arming. We'd have probably gone along with the Manhattan project as well. Throw in our superior Navy and I think the Germans wouldn't be too quick to press the issue.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Siege on September 01, 2009, 07:24:06 PM
Not fair. At Tsushima the russian battleships were multiple size gun design, while the japs had 4 big-guns-only battleships. Plus the japanese crossed the T on the ruskies. Not fair.

You are incorrect.  The Russian and Japanese ships were both predreadnoughts.  In fact, the weapon layout of the four Japanese ships and a number of the Russian ships was virtually identical.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Siege on September 01, 2009, 07:25:46 PM
You don't get the point.

I can't see why.  It's not like Germany was more prone to go to war than Russia was.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

Quote from: Jaron on September 01, 2009, 01:48:21 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 01, 2009, 12:15:36 PM
Quote from: Jaron on September 01, 2009, 10:48:35 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 01, 2009, 10:22:22 AM
Actually for you it should be May 22, 1942, frijolero :contract:

Really? And why is that?

Date Mexico entered the war, duh.  Know your history.

And WHY exactly should I count that instead of Dec 7? Is there something about me that makes me less American than you?

Yes. You speak english with an accent!

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 01, 2009, 10:05:47 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 01, 2009, 10:01:57 AM
Quote from: ulmont on September 01, 2009, 09:57:06 AM
10-20 million Chinese dead, 3 million Japanese dead, the only use of nuclear weapons in wartime, and marine units with over 100% casualties is a sideshow?

Compared to the battle for the fate of the entire world that was the European war yes.

Pffft. We'd have just beaten the Nazis in the Cold War instead.

There is an israeli novellette I read when I was a kid, about an american jew that builts a time machine in a secret fallout bunker, to go back in time and convince Roosvelt to join the war, because in the future America had lost WW3 with all the major cities nuked and the country divided between Germany and Japan. The story was impressive to my young mind because it presented our reality as a product of that time travel.

:lmfao:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Quote from: Neil on September 01, 2009, 07:35:41 PM

You are incorrect.  The Russian and Japanese ships were both predreadnoughts.  In fact, the weapon layout of the four Japanese ships and a number of the Russian ships was virtually identical.

You are out of your mind.
Let me google the japanese ships that were at Tsushima.

Neil

Quote from: Siege on September 01, 2009, 07:58:51 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 01, 2009, 07:35:41 PM

You are out of your mind.
Let me google the japanese ships that were at Tsushima.
Are you going to try and lecture me about naval warfare in the age of the big gun?

This is going to be like me trying to lecture you about the Disney Channel.

Razgovory

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 01, 2009, 07:15:54 PM

Apples to apples, we only won the Cold War because the Soviets went broke first. The Nazi war machine was so innovation-happy that it was burning through funds and had huge compatibility problems with equipment; they would have gone broke even sooner.

One of the interesting facts about Germany was the before the war they graduating fewer and fewer engineers.  Nazi meddling in education was destroying the pool of skilled German labor.  A surviving Germany would likely be poor, uneducated, and racked by civil war as various party factions fought each other in the streets.  Germany would need either a Stalin figure to purge nearly everyone or the private armies being built up by Himmler and Goring would have tore the country apart when Hitler died.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Quote from: Siege on September 01, 2009, 07:51:28 PM
Quote from: Jaron on September 01, 2009, 01:48:21 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 01, 2009, 12:15:36 PM
Quote from: Jaron on September 01, 2009, 10:48:35 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 01, 2009, 10:22:22 AM
Actually for you it should be May 22, 1942, frijolero :contract:

Really? And why is that?

Date Mexico entered the war, duh.  Know your history.

And WHY exactly should I count that instead of Dec 7? Is there something about me that makes me less American than you?

Yes. You speak english with an accent!

You might, but my English is as beautiful as the day is long. :)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on September 01, 2009, 08:12:39 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 01, 2009, 07:15:54 PM

One of the interesting facts about Germany was the before the war they graduating fewer and fewer engineers.  Nazi meddling in education was destroying the pool of skilled German labor.  A surviving Germany would likely be poor, uneducated, and racked by civil war as various party factions fought each other in the streets.  Germany would need either a Stalin figure to purge nearly everyone or the private armies being built up by Himmler and Goring would have tore the country apart when Hitler died.

Interesting view.
I always thought the story that germany's brainpower started with the jews was an ashkenazi urban legend.
Let alone a disminishing brainpower pool from non-jew population.