News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

WW2 Start Date

Started by Martinus, September 01, 2009, 09:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When did WW2 truly begin?

September 1, 1939 (Germany invades Poland)
29 (69%)
September 3, 1939 (Britain and France declare war on Germany)
4 (9.5%)
September 17, 1939 (Russia invades Poland)
0 (0%)
May 10, 1940 (Germany invades France)
0 (0%)
June 22, 1941 (Germany invades Russia)
0 (0%)
December 7, 1941 (Pearl Harbor)
1 (2.4%)
Other (Write-in)
8 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Martinus

ulmont

July 7, 1937, with the Marco Polo Bridge Incident that opened the Second Sino-Japanese War.

The Minsky Moment

1937 is a pretty obvious choice - poor poll design here.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Of the choice provided Sept 1 1939.

I agree that if you consider the Pacific part of WWII (and we should) 1937 is the better start date.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Hmm...Sept '39 certainly...Lets split the difference and say the 2nd.

The Pacific war was a sideshow. The Chinese-Japanese cripple fight doesn't matter.
██████
██████
██████

Jaron

Dec 7, 1941

Until then it was a minor European squabble.

Winner of THE grumbler point.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

ulmont

Quote from: Tyr on September 01, 2009, 09:51:44 AM
The Pacific war was a sideshow. The Chinese-Japanese cripple fight doesn't matter.

10-20 million Chinese dead, 3 million Japanese dead, the only use of nuclear weapons in wartime, and marine units with over 100% casualties is a sideshow?

PDH

Quote from: ulmont on September 01, 2009, 09:57:06 AM

10-20 million Chinese dead, 3 million Japanese dead, the only use of nuclear weapons in wartime, and marine units with over 100% casualties is a sideshow?
Recognize the source, For Tyr the following applies:  Sideshow= British action was mainly humiliation.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

Compared to the battle for the fate of the entire world that was the European war yes.
██████
██████
██████

ulmont

Quote from: Tyr on September 01, 2009, 10:01:57 AM
Compared to the battle for the fate of the entire world that was the European war yes.

Not sure how you decide the "fate of the entire world" while ignoring the war going on in fully half of it.

Eddie Teach

Pffft. We'd have just beaten the Nazis in the Cold War instead.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: ulmont on September 01, 2009, 10:05:27 AM

Not sure how you decide the "fate of the entire world" while ignoring the war going on in fully half of it.
Even today the European region is more significant than Asia.
Back then the gap was huge.
Even if Japan managed to conquer China and create its co-prosperity sphere...it still wouldn't dominate the world. It would be a very powerful country and given a few decades could be a super power sure but it wouldn't become too massivly powerful when compared to the more industrialised western countries.
Germany however dominating Europe-Russia...Now that is a very very scary prospect. It could indeed dominate the world.
Euro-centric sure, but back then the world was a very euro-centric place.

Also in the evil stakes the prize just has to go to Germany. Even ignoring the relative powers of the two.
Japan was a country which just out of living memory had still been a medieval, feudal state. Continuing to act in a medieval manner...meh.
Germany though had been a corner-stone of the 'civilized world' for as long as there had been such a thing. They then despite their advancment decended into high-tech industrialised mass-murder.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

If the Japanese had won those Siberian divisions would not have been able to save Moscow.  Just saying.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: PDH on September 01, 2009, 09:55:48 AM
28 July 1914.

:yes:

And the Sino-Japanese thing does not matter. Without the war in Europe, it would have not been a bigger deal than Italy's adventure in Ethiopia