News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

WW2 Start Date

Started by Martinus, September 01, 2009, 09:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When did WW2 truly begin?

September 1, 1939 (Germany invades Poland)
29 (69%)
September 3, 1939 (Britain and France declare war on Germany)
4 (9.5%)
September 17, 1939 (Russia invades Poland)
0 (0%)
May 10, 1940 (Germany invades France)
0 (0%)
June 22, 1941 (Germany invades Russia)
0 (0%)
December 7, 1941 (Pearl Harbor)
1 (2.4%)
Other (Write-in)
8 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on September 01, 2009, 09:55:48 AM
28 July 1914.

Well I guess if you can call a few conflicts with decades of peace in between the 'Hundred Years War' then that answer is as good as any.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Jaron on September 01, 2009, 09:54:16 AM
Dec 7, 1941

Until then it was a minor European squabble.

Actually for you it should be May 22, 1942, frijolero :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on September 01, 2009, 10:19:05 AM
And the Sino-Japanese thing does not matter. Without the war in Europe, it would have not been a bigger deal than Italy's adventure in Ethiopia

Um...opposing the Japanese was what got the United States into the War.  The Japanese could have helped topple the Soviets if they had not been bogged down in China.

You euro-centric guys are smoking crack.  The Japanese were the 2nd most powerful member of the Axis.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 01, 2009, 10:22:22 AM

Notice that soon after the Mexican military saw combat, in March of 1945, the Axis surrendered.  Coincidence?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2009, 10:22:52 AM
You euro-centric guys are smoking crack.  The Japanese were the 2nd most powerful member of the Axis.

:yes:

And closer to Germany than Italy on the scale. Japan had beaten Russia 30 years earlier, something the Nazis failed to do.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on September 01, 2009, 10:19:05 AM
28 July 1914.

:yes:

And the Sino-Japanese thing does not matter. Without the war in Europe, it would have not been a bigger deal than Italy's adventure in Ethiopia
Absurd, the war in Asia was bigger by orders of magnitude.

I vote 1937.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tyr on September 01, 2009, 10:12:31 AM
Quote from: ulmont on September 01, 2009, 10:05:27 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 01, 2009, 10:01:57 AM
Compared to the battle for the fate of the entire world that was the European war yes.

Not sure how you decide the "fate of the entire world" while ignoring the war going on in fully half of it.
Even today the European region is more significant than Asia.

Don't think so.  measured on a PPP basis, Asia is way ahead in GDP.  Measured on a currency basis, Asia is still behind but of course it is growing at a much faster rate.

QuoteBack then the gap was huge.

Irrelevant.  Back then Asia has enormous numbers of human beings and large quantities of valuable resources.  That made it significant.

A key consequence of WW2 was that it accelerated the break-up of European domination of Asia, an event of world-historical significance in the Hegelian sense.  In that context, the latest round in the long-standing European civil war - although intensely and bitterly fought - was arguably of less long-term significance.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2009, 10:24:53 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 01, 2009, 10:22:22 AM

Notice that soon after the Mexican military saw combat, in March of 1945, the Axis surrendered.  Coincidence?

Yes.  ;)

Tonitrus

28 July 1914.

Indeed....there was some historian I heard somewhere who called WW1 and WW2 the "Second Thirty-Years War"

Razgovory

Poor Euros.  They want everything to be about them.  1937 is a good date.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 01, 2009, 10:26:09 AM
Don't think so.  measured on a PPP basis, Asia is way ahead in GDP.  Measured on a currency basis, Asia is still behind but of course it is growing at a much faster rate.
By PPP its close...I can't be arsed to add everything together right now but India+Japan+China gives 15 559 142 which is marginly more than the EU.  Russia has a pretty high number though which puts Europe over the top and can probally let it stand up to a few more Asian countries added onto the total...and then of course I said European region, the N.Africans were clearly involved in the war too...
Whatever, other GDP listings definatly put Europe on top.
But anyway, that's not important, at the time of the war Europe was clearly higher. Asia's rise is quite a recent thing.

Irrelevant.  Back then Asia has enormous numbers of human beings and large quantities of valuable resources.  That made it significant.

A key consequence of WW2 was that it accelerated the break-up of European domination of Asia, an event of world-historical significance in the Hegelian sense.  In that context, the latest round in the long-standing European civil war - although intensely and bitterly fought - was arguably of less long-term significance.
The quickened break up of empires was far more down to the effects of the war on the European homelands than anything else in the world.

Sure, Europe was only a small chunk of the world. But a few European countries governed huge swathes of the rest of the world. Its what happens in those European countries that matters for their empires.
██████
██████
██████

dps

Valmy

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tyr on September 01, 2009, 10:36:14 AM
The quickened break up of empires was far more down to the effects of the war on the European homelands than anything else in the world.

It had something to do with the Japanese trouncing the colonial powers, seizing their colonies, and humiliating them in the eyes of their former subjects.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 01, 2009, 10:33:41 AM
Poor Euros.  They want everything to be about them.  1937 is a good date.

It should probably be regarded as two separate, but entwined conflicts. China didn't give a shit about Poland, and the Poles returned the favor.