News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

WW2 Start Date

Started by Martinus, September 01, 2009, 09:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When did WW2 truly begin?

September 1, 1939 (Germany invades Poland)
29 (69%)
September 3, 1939 (Britain and France declare war on Germany)
4 (9.5%)
September 17, 1939 (Russia invades Poland)
0 (0%)
May 10, 1940 (Germany invades France)
0 (0%)
June 22, 1941 (Germany invades Russia)
0 (0%)
December 7, 1941 (Pearl Harbor)
1 (2.4%)
Other (Write-in)
8 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 40

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zanza on September 01, 2009, 11:27:44 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 01, 2009, 11:18:58 AM
Taken on its own the European theatre of WW2 was no more (or less) a world war than the Napoleonic Wars - it was simply yet another round of the struggle for European mastery dating back to the 16th century.  Yes there was fighting in North Africa and the Atlantic - but there was in the Nappy Wars as well.  The direct involvement of Japan and China is what gave WW2 its global dimension.
We should rename WW2 into WW1 then as the war we know as WW1 was fought almost exclusively in Europe too.
Rename the Seven Years War WWI instead, major campaigns were fought in Europe, India and North America.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 01, 2009, 11:55:11 AM
Rename the Seven Years War WWI instead, major campaigns were fought in Europe, India and North America.

I prefer to call it the "French & Indian War" :pigdog:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Just defining world war in terms of continents is silly.
If you do that then Alexander the Great fought a world war of a sort- 3 continents.
I'd agree with the total definition.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on September 01, 2009, 12:04:02 PM
If you do that then Alexander the Great fought a world war of a sort- 3 continents.

That was Known World War I
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Observations:

The 1937 date was bound to be popular on Languish because around here people like to a) be contrarian, and b) prove they are GENIOUSes by pulling out more obscure bits of knowledge--though in this case 1937 should have at least been a poll option.

The Pearl Harbor date was something Marti put in there hoping spiess or some other AmeriKKKan would vote for it so he could harangue them about it.

-_-
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on September 01, 2009, 12:08:51 PM
Observations:

The 1937 date was bound to be popular on Languish because around here people like to a) be contrarian, and b) prove they are GENIOUSes by pulling out more obscure bits of knowledge--though in this case 1937 should have at least been a poll option.

The Pearl Harbor date was something Marti put in there hoping spiess or some other AmeriKKKan would vote for it so he could harangue them about it.

-_-

Yep & yep.  I voted Sept. 1.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

Can I change my vote?  I want to be harrangued...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

Quote from: Jaron on September 01, 2009, 10:48:35 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 01, 2009, 10:22:22 AM
Actually for you it should be May 22, 1942, frijolero :contract:

Really? And why is that?

Date Mexico entered the war, duh.  Know your history.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

If this poll was aimed at the general American public, 12-7-1941 really isn't a bad option since there are plenty of people I am sure who have no idea that the war had been going on more than two years prior to Pearl Harbor.  But obviously if you have no interest in history, you're not going to be posting here. :contract:

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on September 01, 2009, 12:15:36 PMDate Mexico entered the war, duh.  Know your history.
HARANGUE HIS ASS  :mad:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on September 01, 2009, 12:04:02 PM

Alexander fought a series of wars, all of them somewhat localized.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

Quote from: Caliga on September 01, 2009, 12:16:20 PM
If this poll was aimed at the general American public, 12-7-1941 really isn't a bad option since there are plenty of people I am sure who have no idea that the war had been going on more than two years prior to Pearl Harbor.  But obviously if you have no interest in history, you're not going to be posting here. :contract:

Indeed. Seeing the WWII monument in Washington (apart from its fascist conception) inscribed with: «World War II: 1941-1945» is horribly strange to a foreign eye.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Oexmelin

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 01, 2009, 10:42:04 AM
It should probably be regarded as two separate, but entwined conflicts. China didn't give a shit about Poland, and the Poles returned the favor.

This. In this measure, it is akin to the already evoked Seven Years War, where two different wars were united into one by belligerent looking for allies and logistical support.

Culturally, the West is much more bound by the Sept. 1st date, however. The conflict with Japan lacks the ideological significance WWII as a whole gained, admitedly a bit later. Hence the, to our eyes, strange view of how WWII is portrayed in Asia, with Hitler being conscripted to sell kids' candies and all that.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 01, 2009, 12:59:04 PM
Seeing the WWII monument in Washington (apart from its fascist conception) inscribed with: «World War II: 1941-1945» is horribly strange to a foreign eye.

What is horrible about the monument is the fact it is plain horrible.  How could they make such poignant and great monuments to Korea and Vietnam and miss so decisively on the WWII one?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."