News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

WW2 Start Date

Started by Martinus, September 01, 2009, 09:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When did WW2 truly begin?

September 1, 1939 (Germany invades Poland)
29 (69%)
September 3, 1939 (Britain and France declare war on Germany)
4 (9.5%)
September 17, 1939 (Russia invades Poland)
0 (0%)
May 10, 1940 (Germany invades France)
0 (0%)
June 22, 1941 (Germany invades Russia)
0 (0%)
December 7, 1941 (Pearl Harbor)
1 (2.4%)
Other (Write-in)
8 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

The Brain

Yellow wars are of little consequence. 1 Sep 1939.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 01, 2009, 12:59:04 PM
Quote from: Caliga on September 01, 2009, 12:16:20 PM
If this poll was aimed at the general American public, 12-7-1941 really isn't a bad option since there are plenty of people I am sure who have no idea that the war had been going on more than two years prior to Pearl Harbor.  But obviously if you have no interest in history, you're not going to be posting here. :contract:

Indeed. Seeing the WWII monument in Washington (apart from its fascist conception) inscribed with: «World War II: 1941-1945» is horribly strange to a foreign eye.

Well for a memorial I think those dates make sense since American involvement in the war only began on Decemeber 7th, 1941.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

I voted September the 1st, as it's the canonical date after all, but if I wanted to be nitpicky I would have chosen the 16th of July, 1936.

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 01, 2009, 01:05:36 PM
Indeed. Seeing the WWII monument in Washington (apart from its fascist conception) inscribed with: «World War II: 1941-1945» is horribly strange to a foreign eye.

Well for a memorial I think those dates make sense since American involvement in the war only began on Decemeber 7th, 1941.

Lend-lease?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 01, 2009, 01:03:29 PM
I blame Bushitler.
Actually, Clinton is the one who authorized the memorial.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2009, 01:06:40 PM

Lend-lease?
Combat involvement.

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2009, 01:06:40 PM

Lend-lease?

And wasn't there also some limited naval warfare in the North Atlantic, with the US navy protecting British convoys?

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on September 01, 2009, 12:08:51 PM
The 1937 date was bound to be popular on Languish because around here people like to a) be contrarian, and b) prove they are GENIOUSes by pulling out more obscure bits of knowledge--though in this case 1937 should have at least been a poll option.

Don't you think it is a little weird the WWII ends with Japan losing the war they started in 1937?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2009, 01:08:30 PM
Quote from: Caliga on September 01, 2009, 12:08:51 PM
The 1937 date was bound to be popular on Languish because around here people like to a) be contrarian, and b) prove they are GENIOUSes by pulling out more obscure bits of knowledge--though in this case 1937 should have at least been a poll option.

Don't you think it is a little weird the WWII ends with Japan losing the war they started in 1937?

:huh:

It ends with them losing the war they started in 1941.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

I wonder if in Danish Textbooks it says:

"World War II occured between 4:15 AM and 6:15 AM on the 9th of April 1940"
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 01, 2009, 01:10:20 PM
with them losing the war they started in 1941.

China was not part of WWII now?

I mean the whole reason they attacked us was because of what was going on in China and our objection to it.  How are they not part of the same war?  That makes no sense.

derspiess

Maybe that's because it's called the *National* World War II Memorial. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 01, 2009, 01:13:31 PM
Maybe that's because it's called the *National* World War II Memorial. 

Yeah we don't have a faggy tribute to our allies like in the Korean War one.