Madonna booed in Bucharest for defending gypsies

Started by Capetan Mihali, August 27, 2009, 12:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: DGuller on August 27, 2009, 11:08:52 PM
Education will estrange them from their community is my guess.
Yea, pretty much. I grew up in such a society, although in my case it was as much religious as social.

Tamas

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 27, 2009, 04:34:05 PM
Not surprised to see you side with racists.

The non-integrating Gypsies are a problem though.  Having a culture around that discourages education and all the other things our societies think are good is a bit of a difficult culture clash.

Gypsy cultural heritage does enrich Eastern Euroland alot though.  Heck what exactly has Romania produced culturally that wasn't Gypsy in origin?

Having said that anytime you go to a country and say 'you guys are racists!' the response is probably going to be somewhat negative (even though what Madonna said was actually fairly harmless, the plight of the Gypsies is a sad thing even if somewhat self-inflicted).
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 28, 2009, 02:02:29 AM
In Poland, the government has opened a number of schools with Romani language being used in classes and Romani being taught alongside Polish, and gypsy kids are apparently flocking to them.

As for the rest of Europe, well: children of poverty-ridden ethnic minority that has no good grasp of majority language shun schools run exclusively in that language? Gee, color me surprised.

Well if that is all it takes good on Poland.  I think teaching people in a language that is basically useless and nobody speaks is pretty pointless...but then they still teach Dutch schools in Dutch and everybody learns English over there eventually.

I think it is a bit more complicated and has to do with the the psychological difficulty of having to give up some aspects of a culture that has been around for centuries that is causing the Gypsies problems in addition to discrimination and language issues.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on August 28, 2009, 08:00:11 AM
I feel the need to post here the greates achievment of gypsy culture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFL2SXGdrVA

Borat* made a video.

*yes I know Sasha baron Cohen is Borat.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2009, 08:12:09 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 28, 2009, 02:02:29 AM
In Poland, the government has opened a number of schools with Romani language being used in classes and Romani being taught alongside Polish, and gypsy kids are apparently flocking to them.

As for the rest of Europe, well: children of poverty-ridden ethnic minority that has no good grasp of majority language shun schools run exclusively in that language? Gee, color me surprised.

Well if that is all it takes good on Poland.  I think teaching people in a language that is basically useless and nobody speaks is pretty pointless...but then they still teach Dutch schools in Dutch and everybody learns English over there eventually.

I think it is a bit more complicated and has to do with the the psychological difficulty of having to give up some aspects of a culture that has been around for centuries that is causing the Gypsies problems in addition to discrimination and language issues.

There are no language issues.

Sahib

Actually, it's a bit silly to compare the situation of gypsies in Poland and other Eastern European countries as Poland has only about 15-60k of them (according to Wikipedia) while in the others there are hundred of thousands, with general population much lower. So yeah, Poland doesn't have "gypsy problem", but that's because it hardly have Gypsies. 
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on August 28, 2009, 08:31:47 AM

Then why was Marty making a big deal about teaching them in Romani?

Iormlund

Because he's got no clue. As I said in my reply to him, Spanish Gypsies speak Spanish, not Romani, and they still take their kids out of school.

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2009, 08:53:57 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 28, 2009, 08:31:47 AM

Then why was Marty making a big deal about teaching them in Romani?

He has no clue

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on August 28, 2009, 04:19:25 AM
*sigh*

You lost when you started talking to him as if communication were possible.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Jaron on August 27, 2009, 09:54:44 PM
It doesn't matter if it is used on one or a million. Dershits line of attack is always along racial lines.

I go with what works.  Anyway, don't you use the n-word all the time?  What's that make you?

QuoteThat and his open distaste for anything not white sounds like a racist to me.

Where are you getting this, cabrón?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on August 28, 2009, 09:29:10 AM
Quote from: Jaron on August 27, 2009, 09:54:44 PM
It doesn't matter if it is used on one or a million. Dershits line of attack is always along racial lines.

I go with what works.  Anyway, don't you use the n-word all the time?  What's that make you?

QuoteThat and his open distaste for anything not white sounds like a racist to me.

Where are you getting this, cabrón?
It's been the long standing way of brow beating those who disagree, especially if there's any involvement of a non-white group. Just call someone racist, especially when lacking  logic or argument to counter the other guy, or otherwise to deflect the argument and put the other side on the defensive. Except that it's starting to backfire badly, on Languish and especially now in real life.