News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russia and Ukraine: New Tardfight?

Started by Queequeg, August 27, 2009, 10:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on August 28, 2009, 12:19:27 PM
Besides the two languages are very similar and I understand it's not all that hard for a Ukrainian speaker and a Russian speaker to comprehend each other.
I don't know, I personally find it a lot easier to comprehend Polish rather than Ukrainian, and I actually spoke Ukrainian for part of my life (you were endangering the intactness of your face by not doing so in Lviv).

Barrister

Knowing all of a dozen words of Ukrainian I'll defer to your expertise.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2009, 12:39:29 PM
Besides the two languages are very similar and I understand it's not all that hard for a Ukrainian speaker and a Russian speaker to comprehend each other.
I don't know, I personally find it a lot easier to comprehend Polish rather than Ukrainian, and I actually spoke Ukrainian for part of my life (you were endangering the intactness of your face by not doing so in Lviv).
I guess some of those squabbles make our US "English first" type stuff a bit tame by comparison!

Queequeg

Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2009, 12:39:29 PM
Ukrainian has some weird spots IIRC; Russian gs are hs, like in Czech, and they have a guttural sound like gh that is nowhere to be found in Russian.  The grammar seems a bit more conservative as they don't have a preopositional (pridlozhny) case, and maintain the Indo-European locative and vocative.  They are also a lot more consonant cluster averse, so stuff like the genitive plural of medicine, the impossible to say lekarstf, are rare.

It is probably easier to read than to listen to, same as it is with 'mutually uninteligable dialects', like Schweiss Deutsch for High German speakers or or any kind of Arabic from another.  To me, Ukrainian sounds a lot like Czech while Polish sounds more like Russian, but I'm not fluent in Russian yet and don't have a huge amount of experience with Ukrainian or Czech.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Just because both are similar, that doesn't mean that both understand. It's quite possible for Ukrainian speakers to understand Russian while the reverse is not true. It's like this with most Swedish speakers and Norwegians. The Norwegian understands the Swede (unless he's from skåne) and the Swede almost never understands the Norwegian.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on August 28, 2009, 12:08:09 PM
2) Turks and Russians have been fighting for the better part of a thousand years.  They are natural enemies, with almost a thousand years of constant slaughter and slavery between them. They hate the Russians with a far more visceral passion than maybe even the Poles.  You Islamophobe motherfuckers drove the Turks into Russia's (childish but far more shrewd) arms. 
I would imagine the creation of some buffer states has relaxed tensions somewhat.

As a Russophile, you analysis can't be trusted anyways.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

Quote from: Barrister on August 28, 2009, 11:38:26 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2009, 07:52:31 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 28, 2009, 02:21:25 AM
I care.:mellow:

Send weapons to the Ukraine.

Heck the Ukrainians have nukes right?  What is Russia really going to do?

They got rid of them years ago.

Once again, the folly of not having nukes.
Not having nukes if far more expensive, in treasure and blood, than having nukes.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Well, it seems ukranian and russians have fought each other in Africa:

"Eritrean-Ethiopian War. In February 1999, according to some reports, Ethiopian Su-27 pilots shot down four Eritrean MiG-29s. Some of these sources claim that the Ethiopian planes were flown by Russian pilots, and the Eritrean planes by Ukrainians. (It is certainly true that local pilots were trained by instructors from those nations.[19]) "

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

DGuller

They fought against each other in the Caucasus as well. 

Zoupa

Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2009, 05:09:00 PM

When? I'm curious.

Zoupa

Quote from: Martinus on August 28, 2009, 02:18:18 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on August 27, 2009, 11:56:16 PM
Ukraine is a shithole. Nobody cares, and that's fine.

You are a bloody idiot. Ukraine is and has always been the key to the Russian Empire. Russia becomes the empire whenever it has Ukraine and is not when it loses it. Keeping Ukraine out of the Russian reach is crucial to keeping Russia in check.

That's nice, but what's keeping Russia in check is the fact that it's a third world country.

DGuller

Quote from: Zoupa on August 29, 2009, 03:01:07 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2009, 05:09:00 PM

When? I'm curious.
I don't remember exactly, but it was during the various wars and conflicts after USSR collapse (for example Abkhazia war).  Ukrainians obviously didn't fight in their uniform, but they fought as mercenaries.  Russians were supporting the sides that Ukrainians didn't fight for, and helped along a genocide or two along the way.

Razgovory

What's with your people DGuller?  Send a letter back and tell them to cut this out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017