Madonna booed in Bucharest for defending gypsies

Started by Capetan Mihali, August 27, 2009, 12:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on August 28, 2009, 07:23:30 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 27, 2009, 11:08:52 PM
Education will estrange them from their community is my guess.
Yea, pretty much. I grew up in such a society, although in my case it was as much religious as social.

At least your folks allow education up to a certain age, and from what I've seen, they are able to do quite a lot with what education they've had. 

This is all on top of the fact that Mennonite communities pose little if any problems (and in fact, are a huge net positive) to the surrounding society.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

Quote from: derspiess on August 28, 2009, 10:18:30 AM
At least your folks allow education up to a certain age, and from what I've seen, they are able to do quite a lot with what education they've had. 

This is all on top of the fact that Mennonite communities pose little of any problems (and in fact, are a huge net positive) to the surrounding society.
That is all true and works out well for those children who wish to stay in those communities.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on August 28, 2009, 10:18:30 AM

This is all on top of the fact that Mennonite communities pose little of any problems (and in fact, are a huge net positive) to the surrounding society.

I dunno I'd watch the "pose little of any problems".  I've seen from files some messed-up stuff going on in Mennonite communities...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on August 28, 2009, 10:57:12 AM
I dunno I'd watch the "pose little of any problems".  I've seen from files some messed-up stuff going on in Mennonite communities...

Meant to say "little if any".  Mennonites are people & people can do bad things, but my point was their abbreviated education does not create problems for those outside their communities. 

It's also kind of nice that they don't have theft/swindling as a central component of their culture...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on August 28, 2009, 01:55:07 AM
What Tamas perhaps forgets to mention is that there is a party in Hungary (that actually got some MPs into the European Parliament) the members of which believe in cleansing Hungary of gypsies, Jews and homosexuals.

Are they joining that new European party that the Tories are in?  that would be just perfect.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tamas on August 28, 2009, 01:19:27 AM
Quote from: PRC on August 27, 2009, 08:25:42 PM

I saw that exact scenario with Gypsies in Rome.  The older ones begging while the kids run around picking pockets.  One kid got caught and the guy who had him was holding on hard, not letting him go, and screaming "POLIZZZIIIAAAAA!"

And if you do that you run a pretty decent chance of being seriously beaten by the adult gypos.

In Italy the gypsies probably understand already that by doing that they'll get one of their camps burned again.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2009, 08:12:09 AM

Well if that is all it takes good on Poland.  I think teaching people in a language that is basically useless and nobody speaks is pretty pointless...but then they still teach Dutch schools in Dutch and everybody learns English over there eventually.

not really a good comparison now is it

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 28, 2009, 12:50:20 PM
Quote from: Martinus on August 28, 2009, 01:55:07 AM
What Tamas perhaps forgets to mention is that there is a party in Hungary (that actually got some MPs into the European Parliament) the members of which believe in cleansing Hungary of gypsies, Jews and homosexuals.

Are they joining that new European party that the Tories are in?  that would be just perfect.
No, they are too extreme even for the Polish allies of tories. :p

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on August 28, 2009, 09:26:28 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 28, 2009, 04:19:25 AM
*sigh*

You lost when you started talking to him as if communication were possible.

Yeah go ahead and believe a guy who refers to an ethnic group as "gypos" (which is the equivalent of "nigger") as an unbiased source of information on the "problems" with the said ethnic group.

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on August 28, 2009, 05:22:25 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 27, 2009, 10:00:59 PM
I think youtube must have been reading this thread because this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEJfS1v-fU0&feature=rec-r2 was in my recommended list.  :lol:

Racist!!!!111

I'm surprised by your reaction considering the same paramilitary groups that want to get rid Eastern Europe of gypsies also believe that Hungary, Romania etc. should be cleansed of "Jewish influence" (in Hungary, they blame the collapse of the financial system recently on the "International Jewry").

dps

Quote from: Martinus on August 28, 2009, 07:04:44 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 28, 2009, 09:26:28 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 28, 2009, 04:19:25 AM
*sigh*

You lost when you started talking to him as if communication were possible.

Yeah go ahead and believe a guy who refers to an ethnic group as "gypos" (which is the equivalent of "nigger") as an unbiased source of information on the "problems" with the said ethnic group.

A)  Is it the equivalent of "nigger" in Hungary and Poland, or just in Poland?

B)  I don't think Berkut was siding with Tamas;  rather, I think that he was saying you were wasting your time arguing with him--he's not worth the effort.  But I could be wrong, so maybe Berkut will clarify the point.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on August 28, 2009, 07:04:44 PM
This raises the question of whether we can consider you an unbiased source on the rhetorical equivalence of gypo.

Siege

Quote from: Martinus on August 28, 2009, 07:06:03 PM
Quote from: Siege on August 28, 2009, 05:22:25 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 27, 2009, 10:00:59 PM
I think youtube must have been reading this thread because this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEJfS1v-fU0&feature=rec-r2 was in my recommended list.  :lol:

Racist!!!!111

I'm surprised by your reaction considering the same paramilitary groups that want to get rid Eastern Europe of gypsies also believe that Hungary, Romania etc. should be cleansed of "Jewish influence" (in Hungary, they blame the collapse of the financial system recently on the "International Jewry").

Did you even click on that link?
Is a racist song about forcing immigrants to speak english.

I speak with my wife in whatever language I want to. Well, we ussually speak in english but that's beside the point.
The point is, it is racist. And that bitch singin bring up her grandfather in WW2, probably a pog washing tanks.
I should show her my service record with the US Army, while speaking to her in hebrew.

Why is always the people that have apported the least to the greatness of America the ones that are unhappy with the new immigrants?

I am sorry anglet is not my first language, bitch!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

ulmont

Quote from: Siege on August 28, 2009, 09:10:14 PM
Did you even click on that link?
Is a racist song about forcing immigrants to speak english.

Nah.  This is a racist song about forcing immigrants to speak English: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx8qXTT6VAA&feature=PlayList&p=74BC4B5A6B1A3756&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3