News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Name changes

Started by merithyn, August 26, 2009, 01:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you change your name if it was a very simple process one time only?

Hell yeah
4 (8%)
Possibly
7 (14%)
No way
39 (78%)
I have changed my name already
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on August 26, 2009, 07:42:58 PM
Quote from: Maximus on August 26, 2009, 07:21:28 PM
The concept of a family name has long outlived its purpose anyway.

Indeed, who needs records? 

Yeah, we don't even use tape anymore;  it's all CDs now.

;)

Siege

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 26, 2009, 07:42:49 PM
Okay, Sorge.

:lol:   You fail, at understanding what the Master of Sieges really means.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: dps on August 26, 2009, 07:47:06 PM

Yeah, we don't even use tape anymore;  it's all CDs now.

;)

Whoa, that was witty.

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on August 26, 2009, 07:47:01 PM

What does knowing that my last name was Williams, as my father's was and his father's, do for any of us? They aren't necessary. It's been said here many times that we're not the sum of our ancestry but rather the sum of our personal experiences. Family records have little - if anything - to do with it.

Good for tracking property, debts, taxes, etc.  Oh and probably makes looking up things like family diseases easier.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

I dislike my Chinese name, but I won't change it.

lustindarkness

I would never change my name. I don't see the need and I am proud of my family names.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on August 26, 2009, 08:11:08 PM
Good for tracking property, debts, taxes, etc.  Oh and probably makes looking up things like family diseases easier.

Changing your name doesn't change your history. That's all still available to you. In fact, when you change your name, you've leaving even more of a trail since it's another court document.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on August 26, 2009, 08:11:08 PM

Name's are hardly an efficient manner of tracking down info what with many people having the same name.  Probably isn't coincidental that many things ask for your social.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on August 26, 2009, 09:00:57 PM
Name's are hardly an efficient manner of tracking down info what with many people having the same name.  Probably isn't coincidental that many things ask for your social.

:yes: There are 5,000 people with my first and last name residing in the United States as we speak. Good luck backchecking through that. ;)

EDIT: In fact, there's more than one at the college I go to. Makes talking to advisors a real pain in the ass. :P
Experience bij!

Liep

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 26, 2009, 01:51:20 PM
Yes. I'd change it to Max Powers :cool:

I know a couple whose last name is Powers, they didn't go with my idea (Max) for their first born, said it wasn't a girl's name. I said with a name like Max Powers gender doesn't matter, they still disagreed. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

How exactly does it not still have the same purpose it always has had?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Liep on August 26, 2009, 09:35:25 PM

I know a couple whose last name is Powers, they didn't go with my idea (Max) for their first born, said it wasn't a girl's name. I said with a name like Max Powers gender doesn't matter, they still disagreed. :(

Maxine Powers sounds like a good name for a chick detective.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on August 26, 2009, 07:47:01 PM
What does knowing that my last name was Williams, as my father's was and his father's, do for any of us?

Well really nothing does any of us any good and we should all kill ourselves.

But as long as I am still alive, I sorta like having a last name traceable back hundreds of years.  What does anything beyond that do for me?  Heck what does my wife, my friends, my anything do for me except what I choose to take from it?  If you declare your last name meaningless then that is your choice, but I choose to take a bit more from it than that: a bit of my ancestors I take with me wherever I go.

But Williams is a cool name, it sounds like the last name of somebody really hot or important, like a supermodel-super heroine or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Siege

Sergeant Powers sounds amazing.

Korea

Quote from: Liep on August 26, 2009, 09:35:25 PM

Maxine and Max for short!
I want my mother fucking points!