News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Name changes

Started by merithyn, August 26, 2009, 01:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you change your name if it was a very simple process one time only?

Hell yeah
4 (8%)
Possibly
7 (14%)
No way
39 (78%)
I have changed my name already
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2009, 03:01:10 PM
Not a huge fan of my name, but no I wouldn't change it.  My last name kicks ass 'cuz it rhymes with 'hammer'  :menace:

Crammer?  That's not so kick ass.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Why would anyone want to change his name?

My last name is my family's name, my clan's name, older than the House of Daavid.
Why would I change it?
Are you crazy?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

HVC

Quote from: Siege on August 26, 2009, 05:57:25 PM

My last name is my family's name, my clan's name, older than the House of Daavid.
Why would I change it?
Are you crazy?

What if your last name was Alah Ackbar? :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

merithyn

Quote from: Siege on August 26, 2009, 05:57:25 PM

Why would I change it?
Are you crazy?

:mellow:

My surname is Williams. It means nothing to me, nor did it to my father. The whole "clan" name thing is lost on me, as there are thousands of people running around with the name that are not connected to me or my family at all.

The only reason to keep it is convenience, not identity or family history.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Scipio

In Mississippi, it takes $32.00 and legally sufficient notice to all interested parties.  That's it.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Grallon

Quote from: Scipio on August 26, 2009, 07:13:37 PM
In Mississippi, it takes $32.00 and legally sufficient notice to all interested parties.  That's it.

Gods!  You need to have that smugness scourged out of you!  But I'll let that mail bride of yours do it for me.  Now or in 5-10 years time it will happen, don't you ever doubt it. ^_^

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Maximus

The concept of a family name has long outlived its purpose anyway.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grallon on August 26, 2009, 07:18:47 PM
Quote from: Scipio on August 26, 2009, 07:13:37 PM

Boy you need to have that smugness scourged out of you!  But I'll let that mail bride of yours do it for me.  Now or in 5-10 years time it will happen, don't you ever doubt it. ^_^

G.
:huh:

Where did that come from.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grallon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 26, 2009, 07:28:23 PM

Where did that come from.

Tommy, I think you should mind your own business.  Our friend Scipio will understand. :)

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Siege

Don't you mean timmy?

If you pull that stunt with me, misspelling my name, I would get REALLY angry.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on August 26, 2009, 07:21:28 PM
The concept of a family name has long outlived its purpose anyway.

Indeed, who needs records? 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grallon

Quote from: Siege on August 26, 2009, 07:40:22 PM

...I would get REALLY angry.

Why don't you?  Perhaps I'd finally get a kick out of you for a change?!

G.

~Jean-François Revel

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on August 26, 2009, 07:42:58 PM

Indeed, who needs records?

What does knowing that my last name was Williams, as my father's was and his father's, do for any of us? They aren't necessary. It's been said here many times that we're not the sum of our ancestry but rather the sum of our personal experiences. Family records have little - if anything - to do with it.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...