News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Name changes

Started by merithyn, August 26, 2009, 01:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you change your name if it was a very simple process one time only?

Hell yeah
4 (8%)
Possibly
7 (14%)
No way
39 (78%)
I have changed my name already
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

DontSayBanana

Possibly. I'd been thinking of changing mine, but the family politics have since become light enough that I don't feel it necessary, so it's up in the air.
Experience bij!

KRonn

I wouldn't, don't see a need nor have any reason to. Besides, I've had this name, well, ever since I can remember! Kind of grows on ya...   ;)

Scipio

Unless I was going to change my name to Rockin' McAwesome The Fourth.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DontSayBanana

Quote from: KRonn on August 26, 2009, 02:05:43 PM
I wouldn't, don't see a need nor have any reason to. Besides, I've had this name, well, ever since I can remember! Kind of grows on ya...   ;)

There are good names, and there are bad names; when you've been subjected to over two decades of "Old MacDonald" and "do you believe in magic?" jokes, it's tempting to use Daddy Issues as an excuse to rid yourself of the baggage.
Experience bij!

The Larch

HVC

It's been part of me for 25 years now, so no.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Well if I would be settling in an english-speaking country, I could end up changing my last name to have it sound like the original hungarian pronouncation, and above all to lose it's english meaning. :P

Zanza

How is it pronounced? Similar to "fish"?

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

derspiess

Not a huge fan of my name, but no I wouldn't change it.  My last name kicks ass 'cuz it rhymes with 'hammer'  :menace:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

merithyn

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on August 26, 2009, 01:17:08 PM
No.  But how much of a hassle is it to change your name anyway (in the US)?

Something like $250 and four weeks buys you a new name around here. You have to run an ad in three local papers for two weeks, then apply to the courts to change your name. Pay the fee, and voila! It's done.

But it's a lot easier to just change it on a marriage license. One signature, and it's done. Women do it all the time with minimal hassle, so long as they're changing it to their husband's last name. Any other changes or men changing their names require the above.

Since the majority of Languishites are male, I just wondered how many would change their name given the chance.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Capetan Mihali

Never in love with my name either, but there's no point in changing it now.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

I said possibly.  Rather unlikely with the business world and what not, but who knows.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.