News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

United the NGF peacefully pretty early (including Lux). It's 1858 now and I have the number 1 military and 3rd rank industry, however France and Russia have been allied since the beginning of the game and so have Britain and Austria.

I've researched all the 1850s military techs, once I've maxed out on the brigade count will I be able to compete with Russia and France (3rd and 9th ranked militaries IIRC)? I'm allied with the Ottomans, Swedes, Danes, Bavarians and Netherlands. Not sure how likely they are to join me against such a strong coalition.

There haven't been any useful crises. The Panjab conquered Afghanistan, but when they try to rebel the British backs the Panjab and no one else is interested, not even the Russians.

The Russians and British have conquered Chinese coastal provinces, but so far no tension there.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

Playing as France, I got betrayed by Austria and pinned between an alliance of Great Britain and the NGF in the Franco-Prussian War.  Throw in Denmark and the German minors, and I didn't last too long.  Bastards.  All of the crisis that popped up were usually focused around Greece wanting territory.  None of them ever came to war though.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Had four or five major wars in the 1865 to 1882 time span, mostly against Austria and sometimes Britain, or against France and Russia. I liberated Hungary and did the three hurrah's for Germany, forming Kliendeutchland. I eventually managed to get Austria in my sphere and after five years they petitioned for annexation in December '96.

Britain has been my ally for sometime and we've been using our clout to bully France and Russia around during crises. Hungary has just become a Great Power, passing the Two Sicilies, which is oddly more industrialized then Italy.  :huh: Wish I could have spun off Lombardy and Venice as one nation, but with the Italy tag in use it wasn't possible.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

I kind of wanted to get this.  Is it worth it now?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

I've had fun with it.  I used the Popdemand mod and the Concert of Europe mod.  Economies run better with that.  I like that it's a game more about building then conquering.  I take a great deal of pleasure in watching my country industrialize with people becoming literate and railroads sprawling across the map.  I also like the challenge of turning Russia or the Ottoman empire into prosperous liberal democracies.  I'd like to image a 1930's where Turk, Kurd, and Armenian work side by side at the mill and after work go the cinema to see the latest Egyptian thriller.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Still not as cool as my world-spanning Armenian Empire in Vicky 1.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

FunkMonk

Quote from: Queequeg on October 10, 2014, 01:19:54 PM
I kind of wanted to get this.  Is it worth it now?

Yes. I bought it and the expansions last weekend for $6 and have 20 hours in it so far and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of how much time I'm going to sink into the game.  :bowler:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

I've been playing France with PDM and have noticed that after about 10 years, money ceases to be a problem.  I have 8 million bucks which is good cause when at war you run almost always run a deficit.  I still don't quite understand how politics works.  I want my people to become liberal so I can become a Republic or at least abolish slavery, but they remain stupidly conservative or even reactionary.  I figure if I tax the fuck out of them they'll become disgruntled and become more liberal.  As France I've focused my attention on fighting the Germans.  I've taken away most of Western provinces of Prussia and I'm now at war with Austria.  Hopefully I'll be able break off Bohemia.  That should deprive Austria of it's main coal and Iron production.

What I'd really like to create an ideological state and spread Revolution across Europe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2014, 02:02:11 AM
I've been playing France with PDM and have noticed that after about 10 years, money ceases to be a problem.  I have 8 million bucks which is good cause when at war you run almost always run a deficit.  I still don't quite understand how politics works.  I want my people to become liberal so I can become a Republic or at least abolish slavery, but they remain stupidly conservative or even reactionary.  I figure if I tax the fuck out of them they'll become disgruntled and become more liberal.  As France I've focused my attention on fighting the Germans.  I've taken away most of Western provinces of Prussia and I'm now at war with Austria.  Hopefully I'll be able break off Bohemia.  That should deprive Austria of it's main coal and Iron production.

What I'd really like to create an ideological state and spread Revolution across Europe.

you need to fire up yuor voterbase: use your national focus to convince them to become liberal voters. iirc, that should work, though it does take time

jimmy olsen

I really didn't like the limitations placed on me with regards to how I could disposes myself of those Austrian territories, and frankly the map was ugly. Used the console commands to give Ruthenia to Moldavia, Croatia to Hungary, and Venetia to Lombardia. The later because Lombardia is simply a better name for a larger Italian state, and I can't give them both to Italy because it stubbornly won't ally with me due to me having some of their cores.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Lettow77

going muh kaiser is plebian enough without not using the just and proper name for a La Serenissima with such modest holdings in the mainland.

You could always play the USA, enacting unwholesome pan-american fantasies while watching railroads build. u
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 13, 2014, 09:18:15 AM
going muh kaiser is plebian enough without not using the just and proper name for a La Serenissima with such modest holdings in the mainland.

Say what now? You talking about Venice?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Okay, so every time I try and play Vicky 2 I just get intimidated.  And worried I'm playing the game "wrong".  Because, once upon a time, I was a master of EU 1&2, and CK1, I feel frustrated when I can't immediately get into a more modern Paradox game (though I did have some fun with EU3).

But back to Vicky2 - I decided I should just start playing, not caring if I did something "wrong".  Heck, I would embrace it - enjoy screwing up a country.  So of course I picked the USA.  :P

And it's working. Sure, Texas has been crushed by Mexico, but I'm getting into the game.  I started expanding my influence into the western continent, my economy seems to be clicking along.  Some railroads seem to be being built without me doing anything.

But question - I have all these closed factories.  That doesn't sound like a good thing.  What should I do about them?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

It depends on how governing party's economic policy.  For most policies you can reopen them (though it may not be worth doing so).  A lot of policies allow your capitalists to build rail and factories with out your input.  Essentially you can let the economy go on autopilot without much trouble.

http://victoria-ii.wikia.com/wiki/Economic_policy

This might help.

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2014, 11:41:48 PM
It depends on how governing party's economic policy.  For most policies you can reopen them (though it may not be worth doing so).  A lot of policies allow your capitalists to build rail and factories with out your input.  Essentially you can let the economy go on autopilot without much trouble.

http://victoria-ii.wikia.com/wiki/Economic_policy

This might help.

I understand it, but what I don't grasp is what should I be doing in game.

I'm the US, so I'm presumably laissez-faire or interventionist at most.  So should I just not worry about these closed factories?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.