News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on November 10, 2014, 12:44:42 AM
What does Peru look like?  Do people still assimilate in to accepted cultures, or do you have immigration to the place that has completely swamped the "native" Peruvian population?
Some parts of Peru had a significant Brazilian minority, but nowhere there had a majority. Much of Paraguay and Bolivia were swamped though by immigrants.

In Europe population shifts are glacial in comparison.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

I just got this game a few days ago. First game as Prussia and I had two Jacobin revolts by the early 1840s, second one was so huge that it defeated my military. Jacobins won giving them a number of political concessions like political parties and such. I can continue the game but my military is decimated now, and besides I didn't expect to play a long time as this was a learning game.

I think next game I should give some political concessions early on to try and avoid these massive rebellions, but since it was still very early in the game and the economy was still getting going, I figured it was too early. Plus for many of the political stuff the mouse over said there was very little desire for the changes. Anything better to do to try and prevent these revolts early on??

MadImmortalMan

Fighting wars on the continent seems pretty flawed. It just winds up with armies spamming everywhere. The difficulty seems to lie mostly in the fact that you can't click as fast as the AI.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

KRonn

I'm playing one of my first games as Prussia, and trying to form the North German Federation. I need to have Saxony in my sphere of influence, and after a lot of hassle finally got the 100 influence needed, but I can't sphere them since Austria already has them in its SOI. How can I remove Austria's SOI so I can add that? Is a major war to bring down Austria's Great Power status the only way to do it? I guess I could also wait for the war for hegemony with Austria.

MadImmortalMan

I think maybe the discredit option is for that situation.

Richard Hakluyt

There is a "remove from sphere" option.

KRonn

I couldn't do most functions as the tool tip said it was because the nation was in Austria's SoI. I think discredit was one of them but I'll check it out again. I'll check the remove from sphere option, see if that allows me. I may have overlooked that thinking it was just for me to remove a nation from my sphere.

MadImmortalMan

I think they have to have low enough relations with Austria first before you can remove from sphere. It might take a while.

I had this same problem because Holstein was part of Denmark and they were in England's sphere. They ended up breaking free due to a successful rebellion in Holstein that were German nationalists putting them in Prussia's sphere.

garbon

http://www.victoria2wiki.com/Diplomacy_strategy

QuoteIf another great power has sphered a nation you will need 100 points and friendly status to remove the nation from sphere. A great power status can vary from "hatred", "Opposed", "Neutral", "Cordial", "Friendly" and "Sphere Of Influence"
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Thanks guys all for the info.  I'm friendly with Saxony and have 100 influence so I guess I can remove Austria from sphere. I'll check that out when next in game later today. I'm very new with this game, just started playing last week, so still learning the basics. I thought I knew what was needed for getting a nation into my sphere having read up on it some, but missed something. Liking the game so far, as I really liked Vic 1.

garbon

Vicky 2 is also rather confusing as rules changed over the course of expansions. For the longest, I couldn't get my head around puppets/satellites/in-sphere and primitive/uncivilized.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Yeah, I'm still trying to get a beginner's handle on the whole thing about spheres, influence and all of that.

KRonn

Yeah, I was able to remove Austria from their sphere when I hit 100 influence. I guess they must have been distracted and didn't bother to keep shutting me down by banning embassy, etc. Now to rebuild my influence to get Saxony sphered, and I'm noticing that can be tricky with any nation if any great powers also have an interest.

Richard Hakluyt

In my experience you don't want a straight fight with Austria over Saxony, it is better to distract them with simultaneous attempts on Bavaria, Wurttemburg and Baden........all the time remembering that your real target is Saxony.

It is also useful to invest in Saxony's railways and industries, will help get you more points.

KRonn

Yes, at this early stage in the game my military is about equal to Austria and wars can be costly in terms of manpower and finances. So I've been avoiding going to war also, and playing the diplomatic/influence game similar to what you say. Interesting point about investing in Saxony - I hadn't thought of that or realized it.