News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Jaron

I wish we could get OHgamer over here for just 10 minutes. OH, the fun we could have!
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Crazy_Ivan80

maybe they could ban discussion of the game, just to be sure.
I for one won't be buying anytime soon

Barrister

I'll agree that "because I said so" is poor public relations, as is banning discussion of a game mechanic.

That being said I could care less what one particular POP is called.  In particular if the concern is that it might seem out of place in an ahistorical 19th century communist state I couldn't give one wet fart.

Sometimes the proper response from a game company *is* to simple ignore what a few hardcore fans demand.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2009, 04:13:22 PM
Sometimes the proper response from a game company *is* to simple ignore what a few hardcore fans demand.
Them ignoring it would have been much better than the show they gave...

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on December 13, 2009, 04:20:46 PM

I thought that's what I said.   :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

I'll agree that "because I said so" is poor public relations, as is banning discussion of a game mechanic.

That being said I could care less what one particular POP is called.  In particular if the concern is that it might seem out of place in an ahistorical 19th century communist state I couldn't give one wet fart.

Agreed in principle. That said, we're talking about one line of programming code to make the game a bit more realistic. The whinger is right. If Nation=Secular than Clerics=Scholars.

So simple even an arts major can do :-)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jaron

I think Johan has been spoiled by the cult of worshippers he has that infest the Paradox forum since we left. Back then he knew if he pulled anything sneaky he'd get shit for it and rightfully so.

Now he posts "I think I might make a game about empire building smurfs."

"CAN I PRE ORDER?"

The quality is slipping.

And while some may not care, enough do care about these little details that if Johan and co. want to target that audience they need to cater to that or face low sales. If people wanted to play fantasy simulations they'll go load up Civ 4 or a total war game. If they want realistic, they go to Paradox. That has always been their angle. They tried to break from it like a teenie bopper tries to leap from their teen cult status to adult audiences and they have failed miserably. They lost the attention of their core audience without gaining any foothold in mainstream markets.

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2009, 04:22:43 PMI thought that's what I said.   :huh:
Yes, I merely supported your comment.

Alexandru H.

Quote from: syk on December 13, 2009, 01:33:51 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 13, 2009, 09:25:43 AM
So it was a thread started by a member huh?
Was he banned?
No he wasn't banned. They made discussion of that clergy POP issue a bannable offense however:

Quote from: OHGamerFolks, Johan has made his position clear, and that is the end of the discussion. As he requested, the discussion should focus on the actual working of the gameplay features as described in the Development Diary. To continue to discuss the issue of the name in spite of his clearly stated request that everyone drop the issue is to ignore the administrator. The issue, for the rest of this Dev Diary, is CLOSED. Any further discussion of the question will make the posts liable for potential moderator and/or administrator review in regards breach of forum rules.

this thread will reopen in a few minutes, once everyone has had a chance to read this warning. 
:lol:

With the exception of the AAR-subforum moderators, I would shoot every other individual on that board that took their "moderator" or "administrator" title to this unprecedented level. And Syt is right, after Patric left, Johan's "kiss my ass" demeanor somehow trickled down to his minions.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zanza on December 13, 2009, 10:45:52 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 13, 2009, 09:29:53 AM
So, any tips on how to manage my Pops militancy for Ricky?
If you have a protectionist party in power, cut your taxes to zero (or as low as possible) and finance your state with 100% tariffs.

Use the free political reforms like free press, free parties, free assembly and free unions. Go for landed voting rights as that will give you a conservative party in power (which is usually protectionist - see above). That will change your state into a constitutional monarchy which negates the militancy modifier from plurality.

Station military units in the most troublesome provinces, gives you an immediate -0.25 on militancy.

If you can afford it, you can also use some social reforms. Healthcare is best as it gives you the great population growth bonus.

Max out crime fighting as that reduces revolt risk at a rather low cost.

Go for the cultural inventions that lower revolt risk.

Whenever an election question pops up, take the option that will lower militancy the most. If none is available take the option of the party that is in power as alignment between issues and ruling party also lowers militancy.

If you do all that, you can e.g. go through the Liberal Revolution as Prussia without a single revolt (except those triggered by event) and with barely any emigration and still have a conservative party in power for the whole time.
Thanks.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Yeah, but it has to be rather frustrating to post a Dev Diary about new features, and all the talk is only about the naming of a POP in some fantasy communist-atheist state.

It's like that thread about allowing democratic communist countries.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on December 13, 2009, 08:03:12 AM
Seriously. How hard would it be to program the game so that clerics would be called educators in an atheist-styled government?

Since the game will probably suck ass I think what the clergy pops are called is a matter of complete indifference.

If the game is good enough to actually care about this then it is easily moddable.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I wonder if the reason they refuse to do anything more with CK is just because people keep asking them to and it pisses them off.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 13, 2009, 08:43:37 PM

Yeah, but it has to be rather frustrating to post a Dev Diary about new features, and all the talk is only about the naming of a POP in some fantasy communist-atheist state.

It's like that thread about allowing democratic communist countries.

There is that of course. I remember I started to grow tired of that shit after I spent the effort of not only correcting the Hungarian province names during the Victoria beta, but also I had to argue with some German smartass beta who debated my choices for Transylvania. So he convinced me and the devs to germanify/romanify a couple of provinces, but the Vicky map of Hungary is still the best around from a Hungarian POV. Yet what were the first reaction from these sore losers who jerk off on game maps? Complaining about those couple of provinces which did not make the "let's have its Hungarian name there" cut.  :rolleyes:

By the time the HOI2 beta came around I just could not care less and on purpose I made sure to not complain for entire Transylvania having Romanian province names.