And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: Jaron on December 12, 2009, 11:42:55 PM
RiP Paradox.

If Johan wants to put the good days of Paradox behind him and continue to produce crap that tries to be part of the modern market but fails, yet also fails to address customer concerns then they've lost their niche.

Is it a big deal what they call their POPs? Not really, but Paradox games have always been targetted towards a market that has considerable interest in the fine details like that. Province names, leader names, terrains, etc..

Their attitude over the whole thing just sucks. Its very insulting towards their customers.

I am of two minds; I agree with what you are saying and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see V2 flop.  I posted this elsewhere:

QuoteThe HOI3 disaster is going to keep many casual non-Paradox fans away, at least at first.  It will probably keep many hard-core Paradox fans away, at least at first.  There is no way in hell I would buy V2 until a month after release, at the earliest.

The open-ended sandbox format with a few decisions instead of 100's of historical events that railroad your game will drive away some of the die-hard Vicky fans, at least until a realism mod is made.

Where do they pick up enough sales to mitigate those loses for a game that sold poorly originally?

On the other hand they are in a no win situation with the Dev Diaries that this sprung from; their fan base is micro-managing, detail oriented historical geeks.  There is no way they can make everyone happy in a historical based game with such detail; whether it is someone who lives in that province and thinks it should have a different name, or a person who thinks the Capitalist POP is too large in that province, or Balkan Nationalism, people are going to be pissed about something that they do in the game. 

That said the "It's my game and I will make it my way" stance of Johan won't help any.

Syt

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 12, 2009, 09:01:22 PM
Oh noes, it's called clergy!  :huh:

That's not the point. The point is the way Paradox treats their audience these days. Personally, I think it went seriously downhill when Patric left - he was a lot more relaxed and friendly than Johan on his best of days and managed the forums in a more positive way. Johan's rockstar allures become rather annoying. "You don't like my design? Screw you!"

Which is a valid position for a developer, I guess, but not one that endears the general public.

Juding by a thread in the HoI3 forum a number of customers (i.e. preorders) are a bit disappointed that the game is now sold for 12 EUR (or 25, if you want all sprite and music packs), less than half a year after release.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on November 26, 2009, 12:10:44 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 26, 2009, 03:10:45 AM
This thread inspired me to download Vicky from my gamersgate account, and I just realized that I bought the expansion pack at some point in time. However I don't think I ever played it, my goldfish like attention span must have gotten distracted by something and

:lol:

Started up a game as Japan 1881. Conquered Korea by 1890 and took the Philippines from Spain in '96. They also gave me Cuba, Puerto Rico and their North African enclave in the peace deal. :huh: I sold the former to the US and gave the North African enclave to France in a peace deal (Spanish allies).

The economy is easier, but the politics are much harder. I've got rebels everywhere. I thought Japan was much more stable at this point. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

Seriously. How hard would it be to program the game so that clerics would be called educators in an atheist-styled government?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Quote from: Josephus on December 13, 2009, 08:03:12 AM
Seriously. How hard would it be to program the game so that clerics would be called educators in an atheist-styled government?

JOHAN NOT WANT THAT
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on December 12, 2009, 03:48:20 PM

It's the same old "you don't like what we do, mod it yourself" as with HoI3.

Ouch, that goes totally counter to the most simple of design principles.
Sure, with vendor software you can't get exact user feedback on everything but you should at least listen to some.

I like the entire of a middle class pop covering clergy, scholars and the like.
Perhaps, to add a brain storm of my own, transformable into a seperate clergy (big militancy/consciousness improvments for the superstitious masses), scholars (research boost), teachers (education boost), factory managers (production boost), etc.... So the middle cvlass pop is a base thing like the working class base labourer/farmer pop.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Someone suggested to call the clergy pop "intelligentia" or so. I think that would be fitting and would make the difference between secular and religious states superfluous.

Really strange how Paradox reacts to these kind of threads. Either they should just completely ignore them or they should be a bit more responsive to their customers.

Josquius

So it was a thread started by a member huh?
Was he banned?
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

So, any tips on how to manage my Pops militancy for Ricky?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 13, 2009, 09:29:53 AM
So, any tips on how to manage my Pops militancy for Ricky?
If you have a protectionist party in power, cut your taxes to zero (or as low as possible) and finance your state with 100% tariffs.

Use the free political reforms like free press, free parties, free assembly and free unions. Go for landed voting rights as that will give you a conservative party in power (which is usually protectionist - see above). That will change your state into a constitutional monarchy which negates the militancy modifier from plurality.

Station military units in the most troublesome provinces, gives you an immediate -0.25 on militancy.

If you can afford it, you can also use some social reforms. Healthcare is best as it gives you the great population growth bonus.

Max out crime fighting as that reduces revolt risk at a rather low cost.

Go for the cultural inventions that lower revolt risk.

Whenever an election question pops up, take the option that will lower militancy the most. If none is available take the option of the party that is in power as alignment between issues and ruling party also lowers militancy.

If you do all that, you can e.g. go through the Liberal Revolution as Prussia without a single revolt (except those triggered by event) and with barely any emigration and still have a conservative party in power for the whole time.

sbr

Quote from: Tyr on December 13, 2009, 09:25:43 AM
Was he banned?

It was a comment in the latest Dev Diary thread.

syk

Quote from: Tyr on December 13, 2009, 09:25:43 AM
Was he banned?
No he wasn't banned. They made discussion of that clergy POP issue a bannable offense however:

Quote from: OHGamerFolks, Johan has made his position clear, and that is the end of the discussion. As he requested, the discussion should focus on the actual working of the gameplay features as described in the Development Diary. To continue to discuss the issue of the name in spite of his clearly stated request that everyone drop the issue is to ignore the administrator. The issue, for the rest of this Dev Diary, is CLOSED. Any further discussion of the question will make the posts liable for potential moderator and/or administrator review in regards breach of forum rules.

this thread will reopen in a few minutes, once everyone has had a chance to read this warning. 
:lol:

Faeelin

Eh. I am sure, given the sucecess of HOI3, they know better than some grognards on the internet.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

I am surprised that OHGamer hasn't merged every single post in the Vic2 forum into one of his beloved megathreads.